Itchy Iggy Needs Food Suggestion

Little Tessa, age 10, has been with us for a couple of months now. She was on Blue Buffalo kibble. She's been gradually getting itchier. No fleas. She licks her feet like my mutt girl Pudge does so it's possible that she's reacting to the grass in our yard. My other 2 dogs aren't itchy at all.

She only has her 2 lower canine teeth and the kibble has to be really wet for her to lap up.

What brands of canned dog food and with what meat base could I try to see if she has a food-reactive related itchiness?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest sirsmom

Little Tessa, age 10, has been with us for a couple of months now. She was on Blue Buffalo kibble. She's been gradually getting itchier. No fleas. She licks her feet like my mutt girl Pudge does so it's possible that she's reacting to the grass in our yard. My other 2 dogs aren't itchy at all.

She only has her 2 lower canine teeth and the kibble has to be really wet for her to lap up.

What brands of canned dog food and with what meat base could I try to see if she has a food-reactive related itchiness?

Which Blue Buff? You could try Basics since she's already on Blue or try something without flaxseed, wheat or soy. Nutro grain free or one of the other foods with limited ingredients might be a start.

How are her ears?

No problem with her ears. OK Diane, you've got me curious now. How would an ear problem fit affect itchiness?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I'm guessing the ear question has to do with what KIND of allergy the dog may have.

Have you tried seeing if Benadryl curbs the itching? That might help you eliminate pollen allergies as a cause of the itching.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Food allergies will show up in ears, sometimes feet. Usually feet is grass. Poor Isaac had no allergies to grass until he'd been here 2 years. Ears, however, itched.

I broke down & did allergy tests. Very strange that he was allergic to rice, turkey, lamb, peas to name a few. All the things I was feeding him and kept him away from chicken which he can have :lol

Go with grain free for a bit and see if it helps. Isaac does pretty good on NB duck & potato

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

Guest 2dogs4cats

I have a small maltese mix that was so itchy when I got him. I tried a lot of foods and the best one for him is Natural Balance LID, either duck or fish. He only gets canned food. I also bathe him with Malaseb. Bathed him every 3 days in the beginning, then once a week, now twice a month. It took awhile to subside, but he is so much better now. Good luck! Allergies are a pain! For him, it's a combination of food and environmental. Maltese are known for allergies to just about everything!

Hi Ducky and baby Tessa!

I found that Instinct ltd. ingredient kibble was a nice food, but the protein source available is only chicken or turkey, and that may not be helpful if he's been eating either of these in his food.

Wellness also has several ltd ingredient diets and it seems they've made their formulas grain-free, too.

This is a Petsmart food: sweet potato/salmon

hope you find something that works for Tessa!

jordan

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg