Guest starr511

Guest starr511

I have seen some topics on antlers and thought I give them a try. I subscribed to Doogie Loot and they have a special on them this week. https://doggyloot.com/deals/1216/buy?email=starr511@yahoo.com&utm_source=Doggyloot&utm_campaign=046b2c8e47-fab_test_6_26_2012&utm_medium=email

Are there differences in them? Some are sliced in half or whole, I understand that. But is the quality different? Would love some advise on this please.

I just read the posting on turkey necks. Going to the butchers today and get a couple for my houndies. The weather is going to be around 104 so will throw them in the freezer for a pupsicle treat.

I love this forum for all the advise and tricks!

nancy

Guest jbbuzby

Antlers can be hit or miss, but I was told soaking them in chicken broth for 30 minutes does the trick; the antler material soaks it up and keeps tasting great.

Turkey necks are awesome! Pups love em!

I've tried a bunch of different antlers, my dogs don't like them at all. The only kind they would touch was the kind with fuzz on the outside but they ate that off and then left the rest. I tried the ones cut in half but they weren't interested in them either. They love raw bones though.

None of mine would touch an antler with a 10 foot pole. It was an expensive fail here.

Same here. I spent $50 on two antlers, and the girls played with them for about 30 minutes, tops. Maybe I'll try the chicken broth thing....

Jackie with Tangerine and Chimes

Always missing Gracie, Steely, Annie, Payne, Twilite, Janey Bug, Bindi, Sophie, and Dazzle

Wow, our crew has just discovered them. We bought two last week and they were fighting over them (not literally) so we had to buy more. All ours love them.

While everyone has had a dental recently except Tosca, she is taking some of the stuff off her teeth with the antlers. We'll let her gnaw on them a while before scheduling her dental.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Milky Way won't touch an antler, Sweet Pea my bulldog LOVES them. I think like with any toy/chew it depends on the dog.

Alicia and Foster Yoshi ( pit bull) 

Always in my heart: WV's Milky Way 6/25/2000- 4/22/2013, Hank ( St Bernard/Boxer) ???? - 10/3/2017 and Sweet Pea (English bulldog)  2004 - 6/19/2019

www.etsy.com/your/shops/MuttStuffnc

Depends on the antler. My girls loved the first one I brought home and when they got it small enough it was re-homed to my neighbors small dog who loves it but isn't making much ground on it. The next one I bought wasn't such a hit, but I think maybe it was old and dryer as it was a lighter color. Think I'll try soaking it in chicken broth to see if that helps.

edited because I cna't spell :-)

Edited by june

A friend spent a small fortune on two antlers. Her dogs chewed on them for ten minutes and that was it. She gave them to our dogs. Same result. Ten minutes of chewing then nothing.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest greygirls2

Mine aren't interested in the antlers either but I'm going to try the suggestion of boiling them...the antlers, not the greys!...in the broth and see if that peaks their curiousity. Thanks for the tip.

Guest RealClearBlue

Antlers can be hit or miss, but I was told soaking them in chicken broth for 30 minutes does the trick; the antler material soaks it up and keeps tasting great.

Turkey necks are awesome! Pups love em!

Exactly what works. I bought one of the "Antlerz" brand and Howie had no interest in it. Once I soaked it in chicken broth for a bit, he loved it. The thing is it would dry up after a while and then you'll have to boil it for a few mins for him to be interested in it again. I later found out with that particular brand it is recommended that you boil the antlers first to make it more appitizing.

However, be careful because I made the mistake of boiling another brand with the dried bone marrow in it and after a day or two it produced the most foul smell of decaying flesh. :repuke:puke

Edited by RealClearBlue