Guest GreyFan09

Guest GreyFan09

A friend from our Greyhound rescue group has a dog who's stomich area is turning a purple and dark red color (almost like bleeding under the skin?). She said the dog seems fine in all other respects, but she is quite worried. The hound is at the Vet for tests but they haven't found anything yet and are awaiting blood tests to come back. She just lost one dog to Alabama Rot a few weeks ago, and now this. Needless to say she is quite distressed.

Has anyone seen or heard of something like this? We are all wondering what the heck this could be.

Thanks!

Guest twoskinnydogs

Toby had the same thing when a tumor ruptured causing bleeding, he had already been diagnosed with HSA by the time this happened though. Could be anything, but sounds like some type of bleeding under the skin......I hope they find out what is causing it soon.

If he's a bleeder or his clotting factor isn't good, he may need to have Amicar (aminocaproeic acid, I don't think I spelled that right) administered. Most vets don't carry it so you will have to call around.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest jettcricket

Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out there. In the summer months my Dave's belly gets a very dark color. Almost like an eggplant color. There's nothing wrong with him, it's just from the sun. It lightens up again in the cooler weather. Could it be something like that? Is her pup out in the sun? It doesn't take much for Dave's skin to get color as he has a very naked belly. I don't leave him outside in the sun long.

Guest GreyFan09

Thanks for the responses, and I will pass them on. I don't know if the dog is out in the sun much, but she has had it for several years and this is the first for the stomich discoloration. There is no swelling and no pain or tenderness. Hopefully the labs will be back tomorrow and we will know more. I will keep you updated.

Guest sweetpea

Sweetpea goes from a dark eggplanty color to a nice pale pinkish,

depending on things like ambient temperature and exertion.

But, I did have a Ridgeback who developed widespread bruising all along his under-carriage,

diagnosis was idiopathic thrombocytopenia (a blood-clotting disorder that can lead to easy or

excessive bruising and bleeding. ITP results from unusually low levels of platelets.)

The treatment was a substantial course of prednisone which we then tapered down.

He recovered fine.

Good luck!

Buzzy

If he's a bleeder or his clotting factor isn't good, he may need to have Amicar (aminocaproeic acid, I don't think I spelled that right) administered. Most vets don't carry it so you will have to call around.

One of our Greyhounds is an excessive bleeder. It often happens after surgery; however, a few weeks ago, it happened subcutaneously (under skin) at home (no surgery within months). We think it was caused by her medication, Rimadyl (known to cause bleeding in some dogs). We stopped Rimadyl immediately, and vet called in prescription to our compounding pharmacy for Amicar, trade name for Aminocaproic Acid (liquid form is cheapest, approx. $32. for 5-day supply). Bleeding stopped and she was 100% back to normal within a few days.

We order Aminocaproic Acid a few days before each surgery too. It's usually given on surgery day + 4 days after surgery.

Ohio State University's Greyhound Heath and Wellness site discusses excessive bleeding in the following "Articles" section. (Blood tests often result in normal ranges.)

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/index.cfm

(Amicar/Aminocaproic Acid dosage is discussed in "Bone Cancer" article under "Treatment and Prognosis" section.)

Guest mbfilby

Ok, I'm just gonna throw this out there. In the summer months my Dave's belly gets a very dark color. Almost like an eggplant color. There's nothing wrong with him, it's just from the sun. It lightens up again in the cooler weather. Could it be something like that? Is her pup out in the sun? It doesn't take much for Dave's skin to get color as he has a very naked belly. I don't leave him outside in the sun long.

Our Mickey's chest and belly would also go from pink to dark plum/eggplant color, then almost grey/black. It was normal seasonal coloring.

• 1 year later...
Guest Alevasseur

Memphis is a red fawn and he is turning eggplant on his legs, belly , and ears :( he is so light and beautiful in the winter :(

I was going to say this too. Paul is a white dog with very little fur in some spots. His stomach gets very dark purple in the summer, when he is hot or cold. Just like people. If you think it is bruising, try this; press on any purple area. If your fingers leave a mark or impression, it could be internal bleeding, but I am sure the vet would have known this. I lost two dogs to internal bleeding and they were not very comfortable. Would not eat, had difficulty walking, etc.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest PiagetsMom

I was going to suggest this as well. My bridge girl, Piaget, was like this. She was a red/fawn and loved sunbathing, but her belly became very dark during the summer months.

Phoenix's skin also turned eggplant in the summer.

Once Treasure's belly turned colour. Turned out it was a bruise from a fall on a slippery floor the previous day.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I was thinking the same thing. A few of my hounds' normally light pink skin would get very dark, almost black from the sun. And like you said it really don't take that much and was most obvious on the belly.

Are there patches of purple? Or is the whole area gradually getting darker at the same time? There were a few threads on here awhile ago with greys who had symptoms of thrombocytopenia (often due to an auto-immune response and very serious). So I'd do some more investigating if there were various patches that looked like bruising. Otherwise, if the whole area has darkened, that's usually just a normal color change due to the sun.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lynne893

Our grey Timber exhibited heavy bruising/blood under her belly and rib area skin not many months before she was diagnosed w Lymphoma, which is a blood cancer.

She had just come from the vet the day prior, and I suspect, even though they're gentle with her, it was from lifting her up and down.