Weird Behavior From My Greyhound, Rudy

We've had our 6 year old greyhound, Rudy for about 2 years now and he's come a LONG way with his anxiety issues. However, there's still one thing that gets to him: he is terrified if anyone is throwing a football, frisbee, etc. around. We've obviously noticed it more lately because of the nice weather but once he sees or hears someone throwing a ball around, he freaks out and starts dragging us back home (nearly strangling himself to get away). Two weeks ago we took him to a dog park that was adjacent to a baseball field and he was trying to crawl through the fence to get away from it.

It just seems so bizarre! Does anyone have any insight as to why this upsets him so much, or perhaps any ideas on what we can do to help him get over the fear? Otherwise, he's become a confident and laid back dog but for whatever reason, this really sets him off.

No insight.....but glad to hear that overall he's doing great! It is so wonderful when the shy/nervous ones settle into their new, wonderful lives.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

My anxious girl is afraid of the wind blowing bushes. :dunno Sometimes it's best not to try and figure out WHY so much as how you can help him get through it.

Edited by greysmom

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Just a thought, but maybe it's the energy coming from the people throwing the ball. People usually get rowdy doing so, and rowdy people can freak anxious dogs out.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Perhaps he was hit by a thrown ball or frisbee once upon a time and now only has to hear the sound of one being thrown to want to get away. (I got hit in the face with a baseball thrown in the dark when I was 6, and it made quite an impression on me!)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Bu is afraid of people swinging sticks (baseball bats and chuck its), but has no problem with me doing the same thing. Is your guy ok with you throwing things? I think Bu got hit with something stick like before I got him so hes afraid, but he trusts me so its ok if I do it. He was a bit spooky when I got him so it could have been a broom falling near him that freaked him out. He is ok with other people calmly holding and carrying sticks though.

Peggy has that "weird" behaviour too. She doesn't like kids kicking a football about near her, especially bouncing it on the road, and doesn't really like kids in general. This will be because they have no etiquette and act at random with exaggerated movements and uncontrolled energy levels.

I don't mind because it is like how I feel if people are kicking footballs near my car or my garden. In the UK I keep a watchful eye on cricket balls and the oval rugby balls that bounce wildly if dropped by kids who are trying to show off. It's best to walk at times when the kids are not out there.

Lexie use to be afraid of people bouncing balls. If u have a fenced in yard, maybe try throwing some frisbees or balls to someone else real close and have the dog watch to slowly desensitize. It will take along time but maybe he won't be so scared that he feels he has to get away. Use positive reinforcement while he is watching you play ball.

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

• 1 month later...
Guest juniper485

I was wondering about this! My 5 yr old grey is terrified of basketballs. And if it's a kid bouncing it, she's trying to head for the hills. Fireworks are no problem, but basketballs, and sometimes bikes, are her worst things. I asked a guy if she could meet his basketball, thinking it might help (when she got scared by a jackhammer, we took her outside to observe the roadwork and it really calmed her!). She wouldn't go near the ball, even on the ground- but maybe it will work for your dog?

Bandita was afraid of balls when she first came home so I got in the habit of tossing one out in the yard and just letting it lay there so she could inspect it whenever she wanted so she could see it wasn't anything to be afraid of and now I've got her to where she will play with them. She still ducks though if someone throws it toward her direction. I personally think it's just the fear of the unknown.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest GreytPlains

I bet he was inadvertantly hit with a ball knce, poor baby!

I would try helping him create positive associations with balls and frisbees. Try giving him a ball covered in canned dog food or peanut butter. Try feeding his meals from a frisbee, etc. start slowly-with stationary projectiles and reward his interest. Treats when she sniffs, etc. use a big happy voice when he does, not the soft soothing voice you might instinctively use, as this cues that the ball is something to be frightened of.

Once he accepts stationary balls, move up to rolling a ball a few inches and treat like crazy. Move up to a few inches more, and gradually to tossing a few inches. This will take a lot of time but you can do it and turn it into a game for him.

Good luck!