Reasonably Priced Dry Dog Food

I've never tried Exceed. On dogfoodanalysis, it was only given 2 stars: http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=2012&cat=all

I like DogFoodAnalysis as a source of info about ingredients, but I don't pay a whole lot of attention to their 'star' rankings. I personally feel that Purina ONE and ProPlan, as well as Iams, are all fairly good foods, and many here have reported good results using these brands. But DogFoodAnalysis ranks most of those at only 1 or 2 stars. Back when Purina was making Exceed, it was very similar to, but a little better quality than ProPlan, kind of like Costco's Kirkland compared to Diamond Naturals. I believe the info DogFoodAnalysis has on Exceed is the old formula, before they switched to a different manufacturer.

My question was more out of curiosity, as I'm leaning more toward just staying with Kirkland. I know many people believe strongly in assessing ingredients in dog food. From a more scientific nutrition standpoint, which is what vet schools teach, factors like nutrients and digestibility are more important than the actual ingredients. And from a practical perspective, what your dog does well on, and what you can fit in your budget, are just as critical. I believe all of these are important factors to consider, and I've been happy with the balance the Kirkland food provides. The recall and production issues at the Diamond plant have certainly made me think about it, but for me, that's just one part of the equation.

As always, I don't think Dogfoodanalysis is the be all and end all. It is one man's PERSONAL OPINION on every ingredient in every food. Just because he's a dentist doesn't make his opinions scientific.

I believe DogFoodAdvisor is the one that's run by a dentist. I actually prefer DogFoodAnalysis as I find the format to be more user friendly, but it doesn't look like a lot of the formulas have been updated in a while. I've used it mostly for ingredients and nutrient analyses, but with frequent formula changes, I now rely more on manufacturer's websites for the latest info.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe DogFoodAdvisor is the one that's run by a dentist. I actually prefer DogFoodAnalysis as I find the format to be more user friendly, but it doesn't look like a lot of the formulas have been updated in a while. I've used it mostly for ingredients and nutrient analyses, but with frequent formula changes, I now rely more on manufacturer's websites for the latest info.

My bad. I did look at Dogfoodanalysis and it is almost the exact same thing. All the reviews that I find are single ones by "the editors" so the ranking of every ingredient depends on "the editors" personal opinon(s). You are right about it not being updated -- there were tons on there from 2006 and very few after 2008.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Gert

Earthborn, I pay $39 a bag and the dogs eat less than TOTW and do so much better.

Earthborn is $46.99 for 28 lbs here (the Great Plains feast variety, anyway).

As for Exceed....I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from trying it...and I wasn't knocking it. I just wanted to point out that it is on dogfoodanalysis (at least one formula is) and since others were mentioning 'star' values, I mentioned it got a 2 star rating.

I am all for using what works and what you can afford.

Guest mountain4greys

Not switching because of a recall. just won't get the bags that were recalled. If I switched everytime there was a recall, that's all I'd be doing. Food gets recalled, they fix the problem, then problem solved. Through the years, so many dog foods have been recalled. My area Costco already has Kirkland that's good.

Who puts this much worry and effort into what we feed ourselves?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Who puts this much worry and effort into what we feed ourselves?

Probably not many of us, but I put a lot of thought into what I feed Anna Bella because she gets diarrhea at the drop of a hat. Believe me, if she didn't, I'd buy a middle cost food and call it a day.

Guest WhiteWave

Earthborn, I pay $39 a bag and the dogs eat less than TOTW and do so much better.

Earthborn is $46.99 for 28 lbs here (the Great Plains feast variety, anyway).

As for Exceed....I wasn't trying to discourage anyone from trying it...and I wasn't knocking it. I just wanted to point out that it is on dogfoodanalysis (at least one formula is) and since others were mentioning 'star' values, I mentioned it got a 2 star rating.

I am all for using what works and what you can afford.

I order mine on Doggiefood.com It runs 45.99, but if you buy 2 of the same flavor, drops to 42 and I just wait until I get a 10 or 15 % off coupon code and no taxes and free shipping and usually runs like $156 for 4 bags. :) Great Plains and Meadow Feast are my dogs favorite 2.

Haven't bought Earthborn in a while. The grain free variety is what I fed Luna & it was running in a similar price range to TOTW. It's just harder to find. My dogs have done so well on TOTW that I was going to stick with it until I found something better I could afford for 5 dogs. However, the feed store made the decision for me by pulling all their Diamond products. They just didn't feel comfortable with them anymore. They carry Victor now. Dogs made the switch & seem to be doing well on it. It's even a bit cheaper than TOTW & Earthborne.

• 2 weeks later...

Earthborn, I pay $39 a bag and the dogs eat less than TOTW and do so much better. Firm poop which they never had on TOTW. Good skin/coat, better weight maintenance and I save money. Plus the food is safer to feed. Also most are doing fine on Victor Grain free. They run $42-45 for 30lbs. But I'm probably going back to Earthborn, they just seem to do better on it. And being able to feed 9 dogs all the same food is not easy!

I had my local feed store order me a bag of Earthborn Holistic Great Plains formula (Grain Free Bison) and I just picked it up a little while ago. None of mine do well on chicken anymore after eating it for years. :dunno My galgo started throwing up and the girls got really, really itchy. And on top of that Princess gets an ear infection when she eats grain. I've got my fingers crossed that they do well on it and my picky galgo, Cruz, will eat it. It would be so nice to have all three of them on the same food again. Oh, I paid $44.95 for the 28 # bag. If they do well on it I may go with one of the online places. Of the three mentioned, which one do you all like best?

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest WhiteWave

I like Doggiefood.com Join their facebook page too. They do a lot of spend $75 get 10% off or spend $100 and get 15% off plus free shipping. Plus if you buy 2 of the same flavor, price goes down too!

I like Doggiefood.com Join their facebook page too. They do a lot of spend $75 get 10% off or spend $100 and get 15% off plus free shipping. Plus if you buy 2 of the same flavor, price goes down too!

Looks like Doggiefood.com does have the best prices. Thanks! :) The transition has gone well and everyone is seems to like it. :goodluck

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest greysmitten

I feed Actr1um Holistic from Walmart (I'm in Canada). It's apparently exclusive to Walmart in this town.

About $35 for a 30lb bag.

Ingredients -Chicken Meal,Brown Rice,Oatmeal,Potatoes,Rye,Chicekn Fat ( Mixed with Tocopherols for Vit E) Chicken, Chicken Cartiledge (glucomsimne), Tomates,Slamon Meal,Salmon Oil, Dried Eggs, Flaxseed Oil, Kelp, Calcuim, Potassuim Cholride, Diacalcuim Phospate, Chicory Extract, Cranberries,Spinach,Broccoli,Sweet Potatoes,apples,Blueberries,Pears, Bananas, Vitamin A, E, C,Beta Carotene,Folic Acid,Vitamin B12,Probotitics,Yucca,Dried Rosemarry,Cinnamon,Chamomile,Dandelion,Paprika,Gar lic

Edit: I pasted that list ... I can spell, I swear!

Edited by greysmitten