Good Thoughts For Carrie Please

I came home from my parents' house tonight to discover Carrie walking funny with her right rear leg. Granted, this is the leg that is most affected by her stroke, but this is different. I was able to get her outside and she potted with no problem. I suspect that her leg falls asleep sometimes, so that MAY be what has happened, but it has been going on for a little bit longer than I would think it would take for her leg to "wake up."

I got her into bed and gave her a Rimadyl and some Robaxin (in case she's got muscle cramping). She did just get up and reposition herself-she's not lifting the right rear up high enough to clear her blankets, so she was catching her toes and her foot is knuckling under. I got her situated again and she's snoozing.

I'm hoping maybe she just pulled something or got a cramp, or it's something like a pinched nerve that we can fix with a chiro visit. I'm just hoping for improvement in the morning :goodluck

Good thoughts for my sweet little Birdie girl, please!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good thoughts for Carrie. Hope it's nothing serious and she is better today.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

She seems a little bit better-she was a little slow getting up this morning, but she did it on her own and then proceeded to boss me out of bed (she does a little happy dance with her tail swinging wildly while she barks at me as I'm stretching to get out of bed).

She ate her breakfast and seemed to have an easy time of settling in the living room. I really think she tweaked a muscle in her back-I can't find any bone-related areas that elicit a pain response.... But her right side above her tuck (oblique muscle) is sensitive. That's the only place I could get any sort of response from her. Once that heals up we'll go to the chiro.

I hate having to leave her home while I go to work :(

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Crap. Now she's worse. She's able to get up and go outside, but outside both of her back feet are knuckling under at different times.

I got her an appointment tomorrow, unless we have to go to the ER tonight. Still hoping she's just strained something but it's tough to tell right now. I'm trying not to panic but I'm scared.

She ate her dinner with no problem.

It's been hot here today (my parents were just here to help me put in my window air conditioners. She's resting right now and I'm hoping the cool air helps.

Guest madredhare

This happened to my Tom a couple of weeks ago. Vet couldn't get any response from him. So we put him on anti-inflamatories and he improved after just a couple of days. I hope Carrie gets to feeling better soon.

Thank you for that! That gives me hope! What did you put him on? I have given Carrie a few Rimadyl thus far.

She's in bed for the night, poor bug. I am going to see if they can get us an earlier appointment tomorrow morning....as it sits now we have a 12:30 appointment. I'd rather try to get her in first thing if I can.

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you remember to tell your vet that you've been giving her Rimadyl. With the knuckling, it's sounding like a neuro issue, and many vets will want to use steroids. But with the recent NSAID, it's best to do a washout period of at least a few days before switching to a steroid.

Hope it's nothing serious! :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I'm sure you already know this, but make sure you remember to tell your vet that you've been giving her Rimadyl. With the knuckling, it's sounding like a neuro issue, and many vets will want to use steroids. But with the recent NSAID, it's best to do a washout period of at least a few days before switching to a steroid.

Hope it's nothing serious! :hope

I know...and now I'm wishing I'd given her prednisone, but, superficially she seemed like pain meds would help.

Still seems to me something is pinched, and with her having had a stroke, that hind end is sensitive to issues like that.

She's still sleeping-but it looks like she got up and moved around overnight, so that's a good sign!

We're home from the vet-Dr. Bahns is reasonably certain we're dealing with a muscle injury and possibly a pinched nerve. We've got Robaxin, Deramaxx, and tramadol. She's definitely having lumbosacral pain. We'll see if we can relax those muscles (they are so tied up it's insane) and get her to the Chiro in a few days.

Fingers crossed for improvement...I had to carry her into the vet's office but she wanted to walk out by herself and she did a pretty good job :nod

Tons of good thoughts and scritches for Carrie. Hope she's feeling better soon.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Sam's a huge fan of Robaxin. I hope it helps your girl.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I did go into the office for about 5 hours today since Carrie was resting comfortably at home. I got home tonight and she greeted me at the gate with the others, her tail swinging wildly! :yay

She is still a tiny bit "off" when she's walking, but no more knuckling under and she was hopping around after she went to the bathroom outside.

Robaxin IS our friend :nod

I got to thinking - I gave her Robaxin Sunday night, and she was feeling good Monday morning. However, that was the last dose I had in my possession, so she didn't get any more on Monday morning, and then last night she was just a hot mess. So, Robaxin was the magic element in the Monday morning feel-good equation :nod We now have plenty of it and I discussed keeping it stocked in the house for cases such as this with Dr. Bahns today.

Methocarbamol (generic Robaxin) is a stock item here. Have used it a lot in the past year. Both of the girls with weak back ends (Jessie and Edie) are now on it daily.

Hope it continues to work for Carrie. :)

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Carrie got worse yesterday :( Not as bad as she was on Monday night, but, worse than she's been. No improvement this morning or this afternoon.

Took her to the chiro-still thinking there's something pinched. We're home and she's resting. Hoping to see some improvement with continued rest and medications.

I can't edit the topic title to note that I've updated and that things are not great right now :(

Today when I got home from a very long day of moving a datacenter to a new location, she was doing alright. I'm cautiously optimistic. She was doing so well all day Wednesday and most of Thursday that I really thought we were out of the woods and on our way to a full recovery. In my heart I still believe that she has just injured herself and perhaps she overdid it when she was feeling well Wednesday and made things worse. I just keep reminding myself that we have to take things one day at a time. For now, it's bed rest and that's all. Up to go out to potty and I just have to help her so she doesn't hurt herself more. I don't have anywhere to go for the rest of today or tomorrow, so hopefully that will help.