Eating Grass And Vomiting Frequently

Guest dkcivicsi06

Guest dkcivicsi06

I have a 8 year old fawn female and it seam like she vomits quite frequently. She has a clean bill of health so i am tired of having her in and out of the vets. I tryied non fat yogurt mixed with her food. I am not sure if its the food I feed here or if there is something else going on. She only throws up grass and looks like yellow in color bile. has anyone run into this with any of there rescue's?

Don't let her eat grass. If she's throwing up bile her tummy is most likely empty. Maybe a snack like a dog cookie will prevent it, especially if it happens just before meals. Grass will make her vomit.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If this is particularly a morning occurrence, try giving her something to eat at bedtime--a cookie or a bit of kibble. My guys get a bit less kibble with their dinner, then get the missing kibble at bedtime. They don't wake up vomiting bile, and they're more likely to let me sleep a bit later in the morning.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest dkcivicsi06

If this is particularly a morning occurrence, try giving her something to eat at bedtime--a cookie or a bit of kibble. My guys get a bit less kibble with their dinner, then get the missing kibble at bedtime. They don't wake up vomiting bile, and they're more likely to let me sleep a bit later in the morning.

it always occures when i get home from work and sometimes while i am at work. I feed here 2 cups of kibble in the morning and i usually mix it with a little wet or a little non fat yogurt. Then i feed her again when i get home another 2 cups.

I'm going to probably be the minority here. My dogs eat grass. Pal will be 13.8 y.o. and we've been together 10 years. Once a week or so, when he goes out in the afternoon he eats grass, vomits (yellow), and if you hadn't seen it you wouldn't know it had happened. His bloodwork, weight, appetite, all good. It's just what he does. Sorella, my homebody, lives to walk and graze. The girl loves grass but unlike Pal, she doesn't vomit. Grass isn't always a bad thing.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

You're going to get a lot of different views on eating grass. I posted a week or so ago about Annie Bella just once, that morning, eating grass and vomiting up what was obviously bile. Most people jumped in to say their dogs eat grass -- somebody even said her hounds graze like cows. According to the vet, Annie Bella probably had the stomach virus that was going around this area in dogs and also said that some dogs eat grass! Annie Bella's still chomping on a bit of grass in the backyard and I don't worry about it because she's not vomiting.

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, and as far as I know, there is no value in feeding dogs yogurt beyond providing probiotics to aid in digestion, so perhaps stop giving it to her and see if that helps?

Sounds like excess stomach acid. My old dog vomited ALL THE TIME. If I gave him a Pepcid daily, it really, really helped. I'd clear it with your vet first, but it worked really well for me!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

Diamond eats grass everytime I take her to visit my parents. They have a lush green back yard whereas my yard has no grass. She loves to graze in their yard but never throws up from eating it.

I just read something yesterday about eating grass and according to this article written by a vet, dogs eat grass because they like the taste, not because it makes them vomit. When they eat their prey, they also eat stomach contents which contains grass, so in summary, dogs eat grass. Brooke eats lots of grass and never vomits, however she does poop it out.

The yellow bile is usually an indication of an empty stomach needing some nourishment.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

If a dog has an upset tummy they will usually eat grass as it can make them vomit. But, as others mentioned, sometimes they like the taste of it and I actually give mine salad which seems to satisfy their craving for the "greens". If it is a regular occurrence, you might want to add an extra cookie so their stomach is not empty. Some dogs also get so excited when it is time to eat that their stomach start anticipating food and produce more acid and this could also give your pup an upset tummy right before they are eating.

Decades ago there was a theory that dogs/wolves would graze on grass in the spring because as it went through their digestive systems it would push off any worms in their intestinal tract - don't know if it is true but, sounds plausible.

Guest BlueCrab

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, and as far as I know, there is no value in feeding dogs yogurt beyond providing probiotics to aid in digestion, so perhaps stop giving it to her and see if that helps?

Sounds like excess stomach acid. My old dog vomited ALL THE TIME. If I gave him a Pepcid daily, it really, really helped. I'd clear it with your vet first, but it worked really well for me!

I'm going to agree with Susan here: we had the same problem with our old lap/pointer mix. He ate grass and vomited yellow bile all the time. Pepcid definintiely helped, but we also changed foods which made all the difference. Can't recall what we changed from, but we landed on Canidae dry and have used it ever since.

Also agree with the lactose intolerance: everyone in our house gets a little lick of yogurt when I have some, but feeding them yogurt leaves us with very farty, unpleasant hounds.