Dog Jerky

Guest vrice

I just ordered a dehydrator from Amazon to make my own jerky treats for Ruby. Do any of you put anything on the meat or soak it in a marinade before drying, or do you just slice the meat thin and dry it plain ?

I don't have anything to contribute, but I've always wanted to make jerky with a dehydrator so I'm keeping my eye on this!

Amazing??? No. They really don't care what I put on their chicken. lol I had a little chicken that needed to be used up. I sliced thin, almost two thin, and just used salt and pepper for the flavor. They loved it. But then mine will eat dirt if I hand feed it to them. lol Anything from Mom and they are happy. As I am sure Ruby will be also!! lol

Edited by GreyAcresMom

Sheila and CO
www.greyacres.com

I've been using this recipe the past few times and it has turned out well.

Beef Jerky *for people*

1 1/2 to 2 pounds top round or flank steak

2/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

2/3 cup soy sauce

1 tablespoon honey

2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

2 teaspoons onion powder

1.5 teaspoon liquid smoke

2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Grind black pepper; add red pepper flakes and onion powder to the mix and stir. In a separate bowl, add honey, worcestershire, soy and liquid smoke and mix. Add sliced meat (1/4", slice against the grain) to a ziploc bag and mix in ingredients. Close bag and thoroughly mix ingredients around. Place in fridge for 12-24 hours mixing occasionally. Prior to dehydrating, dab meat with paper towel and place on dehydrator trays. I usually dehydrate 6 hours at 200.

Edited by Jimbuck

I just dehydrate plain ole chicken breast- no spices and they love it.

You can dehydrate beef too -- I try to buy leaner cuts of beef as it dehydrates quicker. A good trick to get uniform slices is to freeze or partially freeze the meat - helps slicing much easier. Another way to make treats is to buy ground chicken and mix with ground sweet potatoes- mix together at which ever ratio you like and make strips or small patties and dehydrate-- my guys lubs them!!

I didn't think you needed to do much for the dog variety but wondered if it needed anything. I will definitely try that recipe Jimbuck, it sounds delicious. I have a bunch of ground turkey in the freezer so will try the patties for Ruby tbhounds. She doesn't like anything with sweet potatoes though so will have to make some adjustments.

GreyAcresMom...........you must save a ton of money since you don't have to buy dog food. Dirt is much cheaper and easier to find. Wish Ruby wasn't so picky. lol.

Do you store the strips in the fridge after you dehydrate them ? I have bought jerky that had to be kept in the fridge and some that was a drier texture so you didn't have to.

Karen

well… while that recipe is great for humans…do animals care??

Care about what? :blink: The OP asked about any jerky recipes for humans so I shared one.

In regards to the Turkey, I'm sure turkey sliced thin would be just fine for Ruby. Since you won't be using a brine to preserve the meat. I'd keep what you'll use for the week in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Keep us posted on how it turned out. We have a sale at the grocery store for turkey right now and I might just give it a shot.

well… while that recipe is great for humans…do animals care??

Care about what? :blink: The OP asked about any jerky recipes for humans so I shared one.

In regards to the Turkey, I'm sure turkey sliced thin would be just fine for Ruby. Since you won't be using a brine to preserve the meat. I'd keep what you'll use for the week in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. Keep us posted on how it turned out. We have a sale at the grocery store for turkey right now and I might just give it a shot.

Think there's been a misunderstanding - OP asked about making treats for Ruby-- which I'm assuming a hound?? Then asked about human jerky.

Edited cause ---I guess I can not spell any longer!

Edited by tbhounds

Guest snakes

My recipie:

buy chicken breasts

slice thin strips

put in dehyrdrator overnight (Soemtimes a little longer for the thick pieces)

Feed to hounds :)!!

No flavoring, no nothing. Nice and easy. I haven't found a dog yet that doesn't drool over them. I bagged them up in cute little paw print bags for christmas gifts.

I even gave some to the lady who runs a local doggie bakery for her super super picky eater and her pup LOVED them :) She is even buying a dehydrator now to make them and sell them in her store! :)

p.s.- I use a very similar recipie to a previosu post for human beef jerky and it is delicious :)

You are right....Ruby is a hound and I originally asked about treats for her and then added another post that I would like a recipe for human jerky.

I got the dehydrator in the mail today so will start a batch on my next day off. Can't wait to try it for both Ruby and I.

Karen

You can make ground beef jerky SO easily - grab one of these things: Jerky Gun

Pack it with ground beef and make strips in your dehydrator - dehydrate and give to Ruby :)

You can use the seasoning packets in ground beef and make some jerky for yourself too, but I think I'd just make it plain if I was giving to the hounds.

I'd imagine ground turkey would work just the same as well :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Roadtripper

I'd like to hear how it works out for you. I've thought about getting a dehydrator, to use for both my pups and myself (I love!!! beef jerkey, but it's so expensive & I'm picky about the taste).

Do you mind if I ask what dehydrator you got on Amazon?

Good luck!

Amy

Guest NJgrey

Just ordered a dehydrator for myself after my mom gave Ellie some jerky she made for her own little dog. No seasoning, but I have to admit, I had a couple bites too! It's surprisingly good just plain.

As Jimbuck said, keep them in the freezer. There's no preservatives in home-made jerky so it'll go bad if you just leave it in the cupboard.

No more worrying about poison treats from China, no more looking at bags of USA jerky that cost $25. Buy chicken breast in bulk from the butcher, get beef when it's on sale, and you're good to go.

I think I am going to try to make some chicken breast jerky for humans too with the above recipe from Jimbuck. I have Thursday off so am going to get the ingredients from the store and get busy.

I bought the NESCO dehydrator and also bought the extra trays and some things to use to make fruit leather. Excited to try it. I also plan on making some dehydrated strawberries. I have heard they are delicious as healthy snacks.

Karen

Good choice! I have a NESCO and love it. If you don't have a timer on it already, you can buy a regular plug-in light timer to automatically turn on-off the unit as needed. Definitely nice to have when you've got other things going on for the day. I've still got a really hard time being away from the dehydrator for more than an hour to just check up on things. I'd like to hear how the chicken jerky turns out.

Good choice! I have a NESCO and love it. If you don't have a timer on it already, you can buy a regular plug-in light timer to automatically turn on-off the unit as needed. Definitely nice to have when you've got other things going on for the day. I've still got a really hard time being away from the dehydrator for more than an hour to just check up on things. I'd like to hear how the chicken jerky turns out.

Oooo- the timer is a greyt idea!!!

Guest tinams8

I have a Nesco too. I use the same "recipe"- buy chicken breasts on sale, slice thin while still slightly frozen, dehydrate over night. Store in the freezer. The dogs go crazy for them. I pay my friend/dogsitter in dehydrated chicken sometimes. Dh ate some the first time I made them and he said they were good.

We have also done apples (my dogs would eat these for sure but I made them for us) and bananas. Everything comes out very sweet it seems like.

I just pulled the strawberries off and am cleaning the trays and next goes the jerky for us and for Ruby. Excited to try it.

I was wondering about drying liver ? Has anyone tried that for their hounds ? Any other meat products they might like that would work ?

Karen

Guest Greytluv

I buy chicken breast on sale (.99 lb.) bone it and slice and dry it. I don't put anything on it. I do this every week. I bought the Excalibur dryer and love it.

I also dry chicken feet. I think I'm going to get that ground beef gun.

Edited by Greytluv

I just pulled the strawberries off and am cleaning the trays and next goes the jerky for us and for Ruby. Excited to try it.

I was wondering about drying liver ? Has anyone tried that for their hounds ? Any other meat products they might like that would work ?

Liver is hard to slice-definetly need to have it partially frozen to slice. It turns out greyt but, boy is it stinky while it's dehydrating. I do mine in the garage.

Dehydrated chicken feet?? Humm, need to try that-- how long do they take?