Dog Jerky

Guest Greytluv

Dehydrated chicken feet?? Humm, need to try that-- how long do they take?

I can't say how long :blush I never time anything. It takes a while. Maybe 12-15 hrs?

The human jerky (chicken) turned out really good and I am now going to hide some of it in the back of the freezer from my husband. He has eaten half of it already I think.

Ruby has only had one piece of hers but she wolfed it right down. Hers was just plain but I did dry them together in the dehydrator.

Think it's a hit all the way around and I am so excited to not have to be worried about treats from China any longer. YAY !!!

Karen

Guest Greytluv

I just make chicken jerky last night. They love it.

I usually only buy California chicken, but I got some on sale and the meat is gross compared to Foster Farms. Dogs don't mind, tho :lol

And I ordered that jerky gun to make some with ground beef. Can't wait to get it :)

Edited by Greytluv

• 2 weeks later...

The jerky gun is the best thing ever! DH and I make jerky for ourselves in 5 lb. batches with it. We eat Primal so it's our go-to snack. I made some ground beef jerky without any salt or spices for the pups and the consistency was awful! I don't know if it was just the batch of meat or what. I think next time I'm going to add just a bit of salt to it (maybe 1/4 tsp. kosher salt/lb. of ground beef) to see if it helps. The dogs sure loved it!

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Do you just put raw meat in the dehydrator? I dried out liver before but cooked it first. Can I slice it and put it in raw?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest Greytluv

The jerky gun is the best thing ever! DH and I make jerky for ourselves in 5 lb. batches with it. We eat Primal so it's our go-to snack. I made some ground beef jerky without any salt or spices for the pups and the consistency was awful! I don't know if it was just the batch of meat or what. I think next time I'm going to add just a bit of salt to it (maybe 1/4 tsp. kosher salt/lb. of ground beef) to see if it helps. The dogs sure loved it!

I received the gun and made some. It was kinda gross making it. I guess the meat was too cold cuz the back kept popping the treads and coming off. I let the meat sit out for a while and it worked better.

The dogs love it but I wouldn't eat it :lol Is it better with spices in it?

The dogs love it but I wouldn't eat it :lol Is it better with spices in it?

Way better with spices in it! The plain stuff is gross :puke Here's the recipe I use:

Per lb. of ground beef:

1/2 tbsp Kosher salt (use half as much if you are using regular salt)

1 tsp chili powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

1/4 tsp powdered ginger

1/4 tsp pepper

cayenne pepper to taste (I use 1/8 tsp)

It is so yummy! Not sweet and not as salty as stuff you buy from the store. No preservatives either, so we keep one quart-size bag out at a time and keep the rest in the freezer.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest capers7

Geez, just reading this is making my mouth water! I live in an RV and don't have room for a dehydrator, but my boy is sure missing his chicken jerky! Hmm.....thinking....

Julie, Theo, and Tigger the tyrant

Do you just put raw meat in the dehydrator? I dried out liver before but cooked it first. Can I slice it and put it in raw?

Yup- pop it in raw-- super easy but, because it's hard to slice raw liver thin I partially freeze mine to make for a more uniform slice.