Idol Found A New Vet

We were in NJ over the weekend and took Fuzzy back to the internist for a re-check on his shealth infection. Our regular doctor wasn't in, so I saw a new doctor and liked him very much. Different perspective on the same situation. He said he didn't think we should keep him on long range antibiotic use every time he seems to get an infections. He flushed the sheath, showed me how to do it, and lots of gunk came out. He said if I keep on top of this situation, maybe we can keep him from getting infections. And, he said, "You must find a vet in Delaware".

Just before the weekend, Idol started limping, off and on. She would limp if we walked her in the street, but not on grass and she was fine at home on the carpet. We thought perhaps the street was hot or she injured her pad. Yesterday, she was holding her foot up, all the time. I made an appointment for today and I could barely sleep at all last night.

We took her this afternoon and she saw Dr. Coons, our "new" vet. He checked her shoulder, wrist, toes and could find nothing. She is limping so badly now, she doesn't even put her foot down. When he pressed on her toes, she screamed. He thinks she might have sprained or strained her toe. He took x-rays and there is nothing showing. His words; nothing remarkable. She will be on Deramax for a week and we will see.

Think good thoughts for my guys, please. It would be most appreciated.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Sending prayers. Are you sure she doesn't have a corn?

Huston has to have his hoo hoo flushed on occassion.....

No corn. We thought she might have a thorn, as they occasionally pick up a "sticky ball" while we are walking. They examined her paw with a magnifying glass. I will be so glad when we get our fence.

Lots of good thoughts for Fuzzy and Idol! Glad you had a good vet on tap when you needed him.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Irene last Dewey when we had to find a vet for Bree, we went to one in Lewes, right on that main highway. They were INCREDIABLE with us. So caring. So compassionate. They cried right along with us when we gave Bree her wings.

I can't for the life of me remember the name. I think I blocked it out. :blush But I will try to research it. I would HIGHLY recommend them just based one that one, very difficult, visit.

I hope that your babies both are ok. Gentle hugs for all of you.

Savannah Animal Hospital.

Found it!

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Irene last Dewey when we had to find a vet for Bree, we went to one in Lewes, right on that main highway. They were INCREDIABLE with us. So caring. So compassionate. They cried right along with us when we gave Bree her wings.

I can't for the life of me remember the name. I think I blocked it out. :blush But I will try to research it. I would HIGHLY recommend them just based one that one, very difficult, visit.

Found it!

Savannah is actually very close to where we live. There is also a vet in Rehoboth, that a lot of the greyhound walking group use. We went to Milford because one of their vets trained with Dr. Couto and Dr. Coons has an excellent surgical reputation. It was a major decision for us because of all three, Haven Lake (Dr. Coons) is 28 miles and the others are about 6 and 10 miles from our home. Are we crazy or what? When we lived in NJ, there was vet I could, literally walk to, and we went to Dr. Newman in Harlingen, 26 miles away.

Edited by Houndtime

Found it!

Savannah is actually very close to where we live. There is also a vet in Rehoboth, that a lot of the greyhound walking group use. We went to Milford because one of their vets trained with Dr. Couto and Dr. Coons has an excellent surgical reputation. It was a major decision for us because of all three, Haven Lake (Dr. Coons) is 28 miles and the others are about 6 and 10 miles from our home. Are we crazy or what? When we lived in NJ, there was vet I could, literally walk to, and we went to Dr. Newman in Harlingen, 26 miles away.

Not crazy at all. We do what's best for our kids. ;)

That being said, I'm glad I know there's a good vet close to Dewey if we ever, god forbid, need it again.

My sweet angel Tanner-"Showoffs Magic" 79D-82695. DOB 7/22/99. Gotcha Day 6/20/05. Bridge Day 3/11/10. Big Beautiful Brave Angel Norm-"Showoffs Storm" 89B-83263. DOB 8/16/99. Gotcha Day 3/24/06. Bridge Day 4/20/13. Angel Girl Bree-"Breezy Betty" 201A-93631. DOB 2/05/01. Gotcha Day 5/11/10. Bridge Day 10/07/11. She reached the beach.... Maci-"CF's Owhatanite" 44H-29320. DOB 10/05/04. Gotcha Day 10/11/11. Greta-"Greta's Milam" 90B-54582. DOB 9/17/10. Gotcha Day 11/30/12. Bridge Day 03/30/17. Ben-"P Kay Key Train" 63A-61271. DOB 6/2/13. Gotcha Day 12/26/15.

Irene- sure sounds like a corn that you're dealing with-perhaps the corn didn't erupt yet? If not a corn it might be a foreign body like a piece of glass, splinter... It might help to soak the affected foot a couple of times a day.

Glad you found a vet you're happy with!

Guest LindsaySF

I would suspect a corn or foreign body in the pad, if it's the pad area that seems sensitive like when you squeeze it or she stands. You might not be able to see anything from the outside. If it's a toe that is sensitive to manipulation, she could have sprained it.

Rogan is in a splint right now for a toe issue. X-rays didn't show a break but the toe is still swollen and he's still limping (2 weeks after it started), so they splinted it to give it time to heal. My vet said it could be a fracture that didn't show up because of the x-ray views, or a sprain/strain that won't show up on x-ray anyway. She said the treatment is the same, splint, rest, NSAIDs, and time.

If she keeps limping further on down the line and the vet can't find a cause, I would highly recommend a physical therapist consult. I have a limping foster right now that every vet told me something different (one said ACL, one said hips, one said spine). The PT identified a torn groin muscle and under her care he's made amazing progress.

Best of luck.

Edited by LindsaySF

She seems better this week. She limps or has a very hesitant walk at night after most of the deramax has probably worn off. On the good side, she is not holding her paw up and trying to walk on three legs. She plays like the devil in the house and has no problems with the stairs. We have to walk our dogs 4 or 5 times a day because we haven't had our fence installed yet. She does much better on the grass than the pavement.

Thanks for your concern.

She seems better this week. She limps or has a very hesitant walk at night after most of the deramax has probably worn off. On the good side, she is not holding her paw up and trying to walk on three legs. She plays like the devil in the house and has no problems with the stairs. We have to walk our dogs 4 or 5 times a day because we haven't had our fence installed yet. She does much better on the grass than the pavement.

Thanks for your concern.

Irene I split Norms deramaxx in half and he gets it with breakfast AND dinner.....

just a thought.

Thanks for your concern.

Irene I split Norms deramaxx in half and he gets it with breakfast AND dinner.....

just a thought.

She's only getting a half a tablet. I guess I could give her a quarter twice a day. I think what we have to watch for, is when she finishes the medicine and we see how she is doing.

Deramaxx should be given once daily. Actually Pfizer just released a study they did on rimadyl (another nsaid) which can given one of two ways-- 2mgs/lb once daily or 1mg/lb twice daily and they found that the preferred method to be administered is the once a day dosing. Just thought I'd share :-)