Really Scared For Magic

Guest ShanYu

A trick I use to get a pill into Nike ( otherwise he just spits them out) is to make a big fuss telling him he is getting a big treat. Then I give him the pill wrapped in something messy like cheese, cream cheese, liverwurst etc and then let him lick my fingers to get them clean of said cream cheese, liverwurst etc. As he is licking the good stuff he automatically swallows the pill in his mouth. Works every time and he has no idea he's been tricked.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so glad you have a diagnosis...I hope Magic is feeling better soon!

You could try cheese slices...Willy won't be fooled by much (he licks peanut butter, liverworst etc. off pills), but will take pills in cold cuts or cheese slices...good luck!

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

Thanks for the suggestions. Today, I covered his doxy in cream cheese and put it in with his food and glucosamine. Since Magic is one of those hounds who inhales his food, it worked. I also got some pill pockets for his novex (pain killer) which I'll take to GIG for his doxy if peanut butter wrapped doxy in kibble doesn't work.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

Thanks for the suggestions. Today, I covered his doxy in cream cheese and put it in with his food and glucosamine. Since Magic is one of those hounds who inhales his food, it worked. I also got some pill pockets for his novex (pain killer) which I'll take to GIG for his doxy if peanut butter wrapped doxy in kibble doesn't work.

Careful with the doxy and dairy combo.

I've got another quick question related to this. The vet said to keep Magic quiet but he didn't say how long. If anyone has had experience with Lyme Disease, how long were you to keep your dog (or any pet) quiet? Magic is not happy about the quiet. I don't think he really minds the leash walking but isn't happy that the sofas are blocked off.

I'm going up to pick more doxy up for him on Tuesday so we have enough for GIG and will get a definite answer then but I wouldn't mind any thoughts ahead of time.

Update: Magic isn't limping at all and acting normal. The swelling is practically gone. It's mostly in the ankle now but I'm not worried because when he had a soft tissue injury last November, the hock took quite a while to get back to normal. Speaking of the injury in November, the vet x-rayed his leg and found nothing. She did a lime test then. On Wednesday evening, the vet told me that Lyme Disease can take 4 or 5 months to show up which is probably why he didn't do a blood test this time.

Thanks.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

I would continue leash walkning only until the swelling has gone down completely, but I don't see any reason why he can't get on the couch. ;) Unless he uses it like a trampoline for exercise or something, it should be fine, and he'll rest better.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly