"human-Like White Toenails" That Grow Out Of The Skin

I don't know how else to describe them. Has anyone else seen these on their greys? In the summer, my grey had a bump on her ear and something that I thought might be a stinger from a bee or a splinter from a twig "grew" out of the skin - I thought it was the skin "forcing" the foreign object out with time. But during the winter, another "grew" out from the ear spot. And she just had one "grow" out of her shoulder. It is....like a flat whitish toenail - there is no blood, or infection-like pus - it is just a hard thing...and you can snap it off once it is out from the skin. I feel the "bump" under the skin still where they have been. I asked the vet about her ear one but he seemed to think because it was such a small bump that it was hard to locate to show him that it was of no concern.

Not on my dogs but there has been mention of something like this on GT before. Hopefully someone with a better memory than me will post about it.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Sounds like it might be what Poodle has -- here are emails between me and my vet...

Me:

...just wanted to pick your brain about Poodle. Like all old dogs he gets skin flaps and such, but one is/was really weird. It is right behind his ear. Once when he was really fluffy in

the last year it sort of grew into sort of a striated (sp) white cone. It was creepy but the top of the cone would come off in my fingers. When he gets groomed sometimes his flaps get nicked, but last time he was groomed this weird one didn't as far as I could tell. A week or so after grooming it started bleeding a bit and Barkley became obessed with it for a bit -- not sure which came first.

Answer:

Poodle's little growth sounds exactly like a benign sebaceous adenoma- which are very common in older dogs. They do not cause any problems besides bleeding sometimes after the coming home from the groomer and being an eye sore. I always offer owners the chance to take these off. I take off about two per week. Because they always happen to older dogs- I never put them under general anesthesia- I use Bupivacaine as a local nerve block and laser it off. This procedure only takes minutes and patients are completely awake and pain free. If it is large, it may require a suture or two (but usually do not require any sutures).
Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

My Bounty used to get them....never bothered him....I never did anything about them...he unfortunately died fairly young (8) so not sure if they would have become problematic or not....

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Most likely a Sebaceous Cyst extruding its contents.

But what do I know except from what I've seen before (and I couldn't even work out what Peggy had on her skin the other day)... always best to ask a vet about any kind of unusual growth because the smaller it is the easier to fix.

• 2 months later...

The vet said he could "punch" out the area to remove it when he has her under for her dental in three weeks. I asked him if it would be more pain "healing" than irritation she feels from having the one in her ear. Sometimes she claws at it with her paw. He thought the healing would be no big deal but it is strictly optional - he is neutral on the issue. The cost is about $100 to have him do that. Do you think she would be better off having it removed? The ear seems so delicate that having a hole out of it would really sting/hurt/ache in my mind....