Frozen Or Fresh Raw Meat?

Guest saabqueen7

Guest saabqueen7

When it comes to turkey necks, chicken necks and backs and poultry feet, Which are safe to give the dog frozen and which aren't? The turkey neck is so big, I'm afraid it might chip a tooth. No experience with this! :blush

Either is fine although I prefer to at least partially defrost mine. If you forgot to defrost, you can place them in a bowl of cold water and they will defrost more quickly.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest saabqueen7

I've given my dogs both frozen and thawed duck and turkey necks and they have tolerated them well. I don't give chicken other than feet, so I don't have experience with that.

Do you use frozen feet or thawed?

I've given my dogs both frozen and thawed duck and turkey necks and they have tolerated them well. I don't give chicken other than feet, so I don't have experience with that.

Do you use frozen feet or thawed?

Usually thawed feet because they are too hard to break apart to give a limited quantity when frozen. When I have them, Claire can get four a day, but Carl can only have two every third day or so, otherwise his problem with chicken kicks in.

I'm worried about them breaking a tooth/slab fractures, too. That's why I won't give them marrow bones, Carl has a steel jaw and I can avoid a $1,600+ root canal by simply avoiding marrow bones! I don't worry at all about them breaking teeth on duck or turkey necks. I can break those bones with my bare hands, so they won't be breaking any teeth on them.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest saabqueen7

Thanks. I was worried about this issue. Sounds like my dogs will enjoy themselves. It will be interesting to see if my collie likes them as well.

I had DH cut all my frozen turkey necks in half. And I feed both the necks and chicken/duck feet defrosted.

ETA: Not sure how everyone buys their feet but I buy mine fresh. If you freeze them on cookie sheets in a single layer, once they are frozen you can just dump them into a container or ziplock or whatever and toss them back into the freezer. You'll be able to get them out one at a time then.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

saabqueen7, sounds like all systems are go! Good luck!

I get the chicken feet, duck and turkey necks frozen and in bulk (better prices that way around here). It can literally take 2 days (even in the summer) to thaw out those turkey necks. I thaw them out and cut them in half, then bag them in manageable sized bags and refreeze. The turkey necks are enormous! I thaw out the duck necks, peel them apart and put them in gallon bags, about a week's worth per bag.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Good luck with your new dog and I hope it all works out perfectly for you.

I feed Ruby frozen turkey necks about 3 times a week and she doesn't seem to have any problems at all. I do have my husband cut them all in half for me and then I package them up in individual baggies. I also buy fresh chicken feet and freeze them on a cookie sheet and them pack them in a big Ziploc to feed one at a time. I give those frozen too and the vet says her teeth look amazing.

Karen

saabqueen7, sounds like all systems are go! Good luck!

I get the chicken feet, duck and turkey necks frozen and in bulk (better prices that way around here). It can literally take 2 days (even in the summer) to thaw out those turkey necks. I thaw them out and cut them in half, then bag them in manageable sized bags and refreeze. The turkey necks are enormous! I thaw out the duck necks, peel them apart and put them in gallon bags, about a week's worth per bag.

This is what I do and then I tend to give them frozen because they're cleaner that way. I just give them here and there as a treat.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."