Hi Everyone!

Guest dmashal1

Guest dmashal1

My name is Dan, I'm from San Jose, California. I work in the computer/IT field here in Silicon Valley.

Never owned a dog before and I'm looking at a greyhoud or an IG.

I live alone. I have 2 studio apartments in the back of an asian family's house. I do have somewhat of a small back yard.

My landlord is anti dog and pro chicken. I guess it's an Asian thing. He also has 3 young kids (who I know have nothing to worry about from a greyhound).

I have always wanted a dog and I remember a few years ago being at the dog race track back in Miami where I used to live and they had the race dogs for adoption. They were so friendly and beautiful.

Any recommendations to a first time dog owner and someone that works 8 hours a day? From what I've read greyhounds are okay with a 40 hour a week person as long as you socialize and exercise them.

Edited by dmashal1

Most people who own greyhounds also work full time. The schedule is not an issue so long as you ease the pup into it or adopt one that is being fostered and is on a similar schedule. The vast majority of hounds do great in small(er) accomodations assuming they also get regular brisk walks. They love to get out and about, that's for sure!

Welcome to GT and potentially to the incredible world of greyhounds!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest dmashal1

Most people who own greyhounds also work full time. The schedule is not an issue so long as you ease the pup into it or adopt one that is being fostered and is on a similar schedule. The vast majority of hounds do great in small(er) accomodations assuming they also get regular brisk walks. They love to get out and about, that's for sure!

Thank you! I have taken care of my friends Lab before and I absolutely loved taking it to the dog parks! I just have to convince my landlords that dogs aren't bad. (he didn't like dogs and on top of that he had a failed experiment with a chihuahua that he didn't take care of properly).

I'm going to contact the local greyhound shelter today. I figured I could ease into it by getting him/her on a Friday and spending the weekend and maybe a Monday off work with him/her.

Is there a difference between male/female in personalities?

Also what are the main differences between the italian and traditional breeds?

Are the differences in temperaments based on coat color?

Also what are the extra things to consider when adopting a former race dog?

Welcome. The first steps are the hardest ones when getting a Grey because they are actually quite big and powerful dogs.

I'd strongly advise getting your dog at the start of a vacation period. You can tell the rescue you're looking for small dog and cat freindly (usually fostered) and they can put you on a waiting list if such a dog is not presently available.

>>Is there a difference between male/female in personalities?>> LOL.... two females together can be real 'bitches'. You'll only get neutered ones from the rescue but they can still be bossy. I personally think the females are sweeter and they don't pee mark as much nor nearly so high.

>>Also what are the main differences between the italian and traditional breeds? >> The IG's I've seen are super cute but kind of like Whippets.... a little too lightly constructed maybe? They fit under tables and in cars much better though.

>>Are the differences in temperaments based on coat color?>> Not that I have noticed. Black beauties get overlooked so positively discriminate for them if you find one of a temperament you love. White ones can be a worry in the sun. So can Black ones beacause they heat up so quickly (you can buy a thin white cotton suncoat if worried. Golden Brindles or Fawns are proabably 'optimal'.

>>Also what are the extra things to consider when adopting a former race dog?>>

Could write a book on it all. You can look up the articles on Greytalk.

I'd say be prepared to housetrain unless family fostered. Put Tape X's on patio door glass for a while if straight from the track as they won't know what windows are. Slippery wood/laminate floors can worry them, and stairs (esp if open treaded) may need a LOT of patient training. If you don't go for cat and small dog friendly you may have serious issues with prey drive.

Have your own vet check the dog over on the way home maybe so you start with a clean sheet?

Edited by JohnF

Thank you! I have taken care of my friends Lab before and I absolutely loved taking it to the dog parks! I just have to convince my landlords that dogs aren't bad. (he didn't like dogs and on top of that he had a failed experiment with a chihuahua that he didn't take care of properly).

I'm going to contact the local greyhound shelter today. I figured I could ease into it by getting him/her on a Friday and spending the weekend and maybe a Monday off work with him/her.

Sounds great - visiting a kennel or a meet and greet is a first step to getting to know this breed of dog up close. Let me try and hit some of your questions, though others will be able to help too.

- any adoption group will want to make sure your home is a stable one for a dog so you'll need to have it in writing from your landlord that you are allowed to have a greyhound as a pet.

- some say the females are a bit 'stricter' and the boys are more laid back. Our girl is a firecracker, but she is anything but snarky. She is the epitome of a perfect greyhound - flawless! Seriously, amazing personality, gets along with everybody, outgoing, listens, barely sheds (have yet to see any black fur on the floor), healthy...she is perfect. Our boys are laid back, yes, goofy, good dogs. One is a bit of a whiner and the other is bossy and indepenent. Neither have much of an ear for us if they are more interested in something in the yard. They are great dogs too, of course, but a little "higher maintenance" than our girl.

- Don't have an Iggy (Italian GH) but the size is the most obvious difference - one is a small-ish dog, the other, well, large!

- Personality is dog dependant and not related to coat color or anything else. Genetics often plays a role, but they're given their personalities just like human babies.

- Biggest consideration when adopting a GH is...you should have the mindset you will never walk the dog off leash. I say should because, while you will have a contractual agreement saying you will NOT off leash your dog in a non fenced area, I've seen many greyhounds where, through proper recall and other training, GH's have been loose and stayed close to their owner and/or came when called. There is no guarantee any dog (or GH) will always come when called, so there is an element of risk involved when off leashing a dog. It should be a GIVEN than a hound should never be off leash but in some cases, it is possible. But do not adopt thinking you can let the dog run in an unfenced park. Vast majority of the time, that is a really bad thing (not to mention against most (all?) adoption contracts. The leash / off leash debate has been discussed on GT a billion times and never resolves itself and often results in locked threads. Just don't adopting thinking you will off leash your dog - you may be able to or you may not. Depends on you and the dog.

- Lastly, greyhounds are sensitive to temperature extremes - high heat can kill much faster than most other breeds and really cold temps without a coat / protection will result in a very unhappy hound.

Best thing to do is go see some in person, talk to a lot of GH owners, research the breed, spend a lot of time here (GT) and keep learning. Don't make any hasty decisions as these dogs are family members to most owners!

Derek

Guest dmashal1

Sounds great - visiting a kennel or a meet and greet is a first step to getting to know this breed of dog up close. Let me try and hit some of your questions, though others will be able to help too.

- any adoption group will want to make sure your home is a stable one for a dog so you'll need to have it in writing from your landlord that you are allowed to have a greyhound as a pet.

- some say the females are a bit 'stricter' and the boys are more laid back. Our girl is a firecracker, but she is anything but snarky. She is the epitome of a perfect greyhound - flawless! Seriously, amazing personality, gets along with everybody, outgoing, listens, barely sheds (have yet to see any black fur on the floor), healthy...she is perfect. Our boys are laid back, yes, goofy, good dogs. One is a bit of a whiner and the other is bossy and indepenent. Neither have much of an ear for us if they are more interested in something in the yard. They are great dogs too, of course, but a little "higher maintenance" than our girl.

- Don't have an Iggy (Italian GH) but the size is the most obvious difference - one is a small-ish dog, the other, well, large!

- Personality is dog dependant and not related to coat color or anything else. Genetics often plays a role, but they're given their personalities just like human babies.

- Biggest consideration when adopting a GH is...you should have the mindset you will never walk the dog off leash. I say should because, while you will have a contractual agreement saying you will NOT off leash your dog in a non fenced area, I've seen many greyhounds where, through proper recall and other training, GH's have been loose and stayed close to their owner and/or came when called. There is no guarantee any dog (or GH) will always come when called, so there is an element of risk involved when off leashing a dog. It should be a GIVEN than a hound should never be off leash but in some cases, it is possible. But do not adopt thinking you can let the dog run in an unfenced park. Vast majority of the time, that is a really bad thing (not to mention against most (all?) adoption contracts. The leash / off leash debate has been discussed on GT a billion times and never resolves itself and often results in locked threads. Just don't adopting thinking you will off leash your dog - you may be able to or you may not. Depends on you and the dog.

- Lastly, greyhounds are sensitive to temperature extremes - high heat can kill much faster than most other breeds and really cold temps without a coat / protection will result in a very unhappy hound.

Best thing to do is go see some in person, talk to a lot of GH owners, research the breed, spend a lot of time here (GT) and keep learning. Don't make any hasty decisions as these dogs are family members to most owners!

Thanks for your reply. I would consider this future friend a family member, not a pet. Agreed.

Regarding the leash that's fine, I would probably want to keep my leash on my dog on all times anyway. The only thing that worries is me is say at the beach or something?

I know the leash thing is because greyhounds are known for taking off (obviously). But is there any time that it's okay if it takes off? I.E. The beach? Are these dogs known for taking off, never coming back and attacking a kid?

What if I wanted to play frisbee at a public park that doesn't have many people around? Or just run around with the dog without a leash in a park?

Now regarding female male differences I'd probably want one that is a little more laid back (as in good with kids, my land lord has 3 kids, a toddler, a 4 year old and an 8 year old) but also strict at the same time (we have annoying stray cats that come in to the back yard).

I think I'll skip the iggy.

Edited by dmashal1

Guest dmashal1

Welcome. The first steps are the hardest ones when getting a Grey because they are actually quite big and powerful dogs.

I'd strongly advise getting your dog at the start of a vacation period. You can tell the rescue you're looking for small dog and cat freindly (usually fostered) and they can put you on a waiting list if such a dog is not presently available.

>>Is there a difference between male/female in personalities?>> LOL.... two females together can be real 'bitches'. You'll only get neutered ones from the rescue but they can still be bossy. I personally think the females are sweeter and they don't pee mark as much nor nearly so high.

>>Also what are the main differences between the italian and traditional breeds? >> The IG's I've seen are super cute but kind of like Whippets.... a little too lightly constructed maybe? They fit under tables and in cars much better though.

>>Are the differences in temperaments based on coat color?>> Not that I have noticed. Black beauties get overlooked so positively discriminate for them if you find one of a temperament you love. White ones can be a worry in the sun. So can Black ones beacause they heat up so quickly (you can buy a thin white cotton suncoat if worried. Golden Brindles or Fawns are proabably 'optimal'.

>>Also what are the extra things to consider when adopting a former race dog?>>

Could write a book on it all. You can look up the articles on Greytalk.

I'd say be prepared to housetrain unless family fostered. Put Tape X's on patio door glass for a while if straight from the track as they won't know what windows are. Slippery wood/laminate floors can worry them, and stairs (esp if open treaded) may need a LOT of patient training. If you don't go for cat and small dog friendly you may have serious issues with prey drive.

Have your own vet check the dog over on the way home maybe so you start with a clean sheet?

Okay so I'm leaning towards a female based on your response.

Okay so I'm getting race dogs are more work.

House training yeah that could be an issue. Luckily as I said I have 2 studios right next to each other, so I could train him in the studio that just has a bed in it, and I won't care if it pees everywhere.

Regarding temperature extremes:

What is considered extremely hot and dangerous? As you know California summers get to be 100 degrees?

Also the winter can get down to 20 degrees (not usually) most of the time 40 degrees outdoor at night, average high 65. It never snows here.

However this dog will be sleeping in my bed. :)

My name is Dan, I'm from San Jose, California. I work in the computer/IT field here in Silicon Valley.

My landlord is anti dog and pro chicken. I guess it's an Asian thing. He also has 3 young kids (who I know have nothing to worry about from a greyhound).

It isn't true that there is nothing to worry about from a Greyhound around kids. Most of the time, yes, this is true, but there are exceptions. My group currently has a Grey up for adoption who is very snarky around kids and to avoid problems, will not adopt to a household that has children.

And while most Greys are good with kids, there are often rules that have to be followed when around a Greyhound, especially with kids. Some Greyhounds are possessive of their beds and don't easily tolerate someone approaching their safe place. Some Greyhounds don't like people being close to them when they eat. Most if not all Greyhounds sleep with their eyes at least partially open, which would make a child assume the dog is awake and thus might bounce up to the dog to play. Since the dog is really sleeping, s/he may get snarky about being woke up like that.

Please note I say "some" and "sometimes." My Annie Bella tolerates anything and everything. Kids, small dogs, cats, guinea pigs. :lol I could probably drop a water balloon on her while sleeping and get no reaction other than a raised head. But I respect her space and her being, even though she is bomb proof, by letting her know I'm approaching her bed and never quickly walking up to her when she's eating.

And, a bit off topic but it's part of your post: I wish references to a particular race or nationality would not be used. It can be construed as stereotyping at best or an insult at worst. And no, I'm not Asian but who your landlord is and why he doesn't like dogs is not relevant, IMO.

Re: Weather temperatures?

I'm in England so we only get 100F like once in 10 years. We go down to -10 once in ten years too. Mostly summer here is in the 70's and humid. Peggy wears her coat when it gets below 40F and is wet and windy. She loves dry snow.

I don't let Peggy run when it's much above 60 as she's one that overheats very easily. There is a little stream running by the park so she can cool off in there. If you carry water and know what to look for in overheating then you'll be OK.

In very hot places you'll need to do mostly morning walks as the roads and sidewalks can burn their feet!

Add: The dog sleep in your bed? That's another thing to aptitude-test for 'sleep startle biting'.

Edited by JohnF

Greyhounds are not an aggressive breed so the idea of one attacking a child on a beach is highly remote. A dog is a dog though and we never know sometimes. But as a breed, this is not something I would worry about. However, as they are a large breed, they could injure a child while playing - ie: jump on the child, play mouth / play bite during excitement, etc. An injury to a child (or human) would be highly accidental. GH's, however, are not used to sharing their bed (space) given it is the only thing they experienced as 'they're own' at the track. They were never touched while sleeping and never had another dog or human lay in their crate (though some GH travel 2 to a box). Hence, people should leave sleeping dogs alone and generally avoid taking their space. That said, our family, kids and all, can snuggle with our 3 hounds on their beds at home, but we are careful to leave one of our males alone while sleeping. (bet the other 2 would like to be left alone as well (who wouldn't) but they are fine with us cruising in for a snuggle).

Everyone is different, but I would never adopt based on color or sex. My suggestion would be to find a dog whose personality fits your lifestyle.

20 degrees is fine for a greyhound though if windy / wet, a little sweater may be appropriate. You will find when it is really hot, your hound will not want to go very far or be out very long. Don't make the mistake of thinking a 3 mile jog is fine in 100 degrees. Your hound will likely not make it. Bare pavement is also very hot on their foot pads.

In the beginning of a hound's home life, a transition period is required where they have to learn everything about the outside world - inside in our case. Some learn stairs, slick floors, etc very quickly. Others take longer. Best thing to do is get the hound into a routine and stick to it. They will be happiest to start off as they know what to expect.

Never leave a dog alone with small children. You need to protect the dog 9.9 times out of 10. Aggression or bites in these situations are almost always the result of lack of supervision and children bothering the dog and not recognizing warning signs. My kids were 3 and 5 when we got the boys and everyone did great. We were vigilant parents.

There are several books that are of good reference as well - Cynthia Brannigan has one and there is also a GH book for dummies.

Good luck.

Derek

Guest dmashal1

Have you had a chance to read " retired racing greyhounds for dummies"? Its a great book and very informative :)

No, this is my first time even thinking about seriously considering a dog.

And while most Greys are good with kids, there are often rules that have to be followed when around a Greyhound, especially with kids. Some Greyhounds are possessive of their beds and don't easily tolerate someone approaching their safe place. Some Greyhounds don't like people being close to them when they eat. Most if not all Greyhounds sleep with their eyes at least partially open, which would make a child assume the dog is awake and thus might bounce up to the dog to play. Since the dog is really sleeping, s/he may get snarky about being woke up like that.

My apartments are separated from the rest of the house even though they are part of the house they are sealed off (think 4 bed room house I rent the 2 in the back and they have private entrances through the back), no kids in my apartment. As I said, I live alone. No girlfriend. Kids would only see the dog when it's I let it out or if I leave it out tied up in my kitchen back yard area which is separated from my landlords back yard area.

And, a bit off topic but it's part of your post: I wish references to a particular race or nationality would not be used. It can be construed as stereotyping at best or an insult at worst. And no, I'm not Asian but who your landlord is and why he doesn't like dogs is not relevant, IMO.

It is VERY relevant considering he has 3 chickens in a tiny cage right now.

Re: Weather temperatures?

I'm in England so we only get 100F like once in 10 years. We go down to -10 once in ten years too. Mostly summer here is in the 70's and humid. Peggy wears her coat when it gets below 40F and is wet and windy. She loves dry snow.

I don't let Peggy run when it's much above 60 as she's one that overheats very easily. There is a little stream running by the park so she can cool off in there. If you carry water and know what to look for in overheating then you'll be OK.

In very hot places you'll need to do mostly morning walks as the roads and sidewalks can burn their feet!

Add: The dog sleep in your bed? That's another thing to aptitude-test for 'sleep startle biting'.

Okay no dog in the bed I forgot that's a no-no, you are absolutely right. So the hot temp thing is mainly a concern during the summer? What about winter?

20 degrees is fine for a greyhound though if windy / wet, a little sweater may be appropriate. You will find when it is really hot, your hound will not want to go very far or be out very long. Don't make the mistake of thinking a 3 mile jog is fine in 100 degrees. Your hound will likely not make it. Bare pavement is also very hot on their foot pads.

Good luck.

I am not an athletic person. I have 2 bad knees so running is a chore. One thing I liked about greyhounds is they have no problem being lazy, at the same time, they must be taken for a walk at least once a day or they will tear up your house (just like any dog would). That's the idea, to get me off my fat ass and exercising among many other things.

:lol :lol I live in a small country town and my neighbors 4 doors down have a rooster and 4 chickens and they are not Asian. I get the relevance to being careful about the chickens but not about ethnicity. Call me sensitive...but I went to college in 1967 and didn't take part in demonstrations and the Civil Rights movement to keep my mouth shut now. :)

Anyway, someone else may mention this, if they haven't already, but tying up a Greyhound in the backyard is not something any of us do, that I'm aware of. Greys have a fragile neck and need to wear a special collar (Martingale), and since they can get up to 45 MPH in 3 to 5 strides, tying them up outside is not acceptable because they can break their neck at a sudden halt, such as when the rope ends. If the rope is long enough so it doesn't end, it will get wrapped around their legs and then the probability for a broken leg is high.

There is lots of information on this Forum and there are good books that will be recommended. Greyhounds are a lot more.. uhm.. complicated (if that's the right word) than say a Golden Retriever. Goldens are wonderful dogs too, but they're not Greyhounds.

Guest dmashal1

:lol :lol I live in a small country town and my neighbors 4 doors down have a rooster and 4 chickens and they are not Asian. I get the relevance to being careful about the chickens but not about ethnicity. Call me sensitive...but I went to college in 1967 and didn't take part in demonstrations and the Civil Rights movement to keep my mouth shut now. :)

Anyway, someone else may mention this, if they haven't already, but tying up a Greyhound in the backyard is not something any of us do, that I'm aware of. Greys have a fragile neck and need to wear a special collar (Martingale), and since they can get up to 45 MPH in 3 to 5 strides, tying them up outside is not acceptable because they can break their neck at a sudden halt, such as when the rope ends. If the rope is long enough so it doesn't end, it will get wrapped around their legs and then the probability for a broken leg is high.

There is lots of information on this Forum and there are good books that will be recommended. Greyhounds are a lot more.. uhm.. complicated (if that's the right word) than say a Golden Retriever. Goldens are wonderful dogs too, but they're not Greyhounds.

Yeah, let's move past that please.

Moving on, as a single person working 40 hours a week what do you do with your grey hound? Leave him in the house alone? Because I cannot leave him in the back yard untied.

Depends on the dog. I had a high energy, very smart greyhound that needed to keep busy. I had somebody come over and take her for a long at noon time, which really helped curb her "busy" behaviour. Otherwise I just leave them in the house.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest dmashal1

Depends on the dog. I had a high energy, very smart greyhound that needed to keep busy. I had somebody come over and take her for a long at noon time, which really helped curb her "busy" behaviour. Otherwise I just leave them in the house.

Yeah for this reason I'm leaning towards an older dog, and of course making sure that it is a lower energy dog. And of course have things in the house to keep it entertained/happy and busy.

Yeah for this reason I'm leaning towards an older dog, and of course making sure that it is a lower energy dog. And of course have things in the house to keep it entertained/happy and busy.

This hound was adopted as an 8.5 year old brood mama. She needed those walks until she was 13.5 years old! :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I think that you should pick up one if the greyhound books or see if one of the adoption groups have a "meet-n-greet" in one of the local pet stores that you could go and talk to a volunteer about greyhounds.

When I used to do meet-n-greets the first thing I would say to someone that was considering greyhounds as a pet is that 1) you never let them off-leash, 2) you don't tie them up outside, and 3) you do not use a flexi-lead. If the people were OK with that, then we would discuss the other "no no's" like have to watch them constantly when they are around kids (kids and dog) and being very careful at dog parks (or just not going).

Once I would get past all that with a person, then we could discuss all the great things about greyhounds ....

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

IGs are almost impossible to housebreak, and would need peepads or a dog door for an 8 hour day in most cases. A Whippet is much sturdier, calmer, and very easy to housebreak, but not suited to being left all day (they're prone to SA). I would definitely suggest an adult Greyhound :)

My dogs are alone during the day while I work...it's not a problem.

You mentioned dog parks...some greys do awesome at them. Just be aware that the park does not allow small breeds to play with large breeds. We had a grey in RI that grabbed a little white fluffy dog and killed it....Treated it like a toy.... It was a horrible situation for the little dog - and ultimately the grey.

Also, if the dog is even the slightest bit spooky (and the adoption group should know that), you might want to walk with a harness. I use a martingale harness and collar on mine when we walk - as the collar gives you control, but the harness protects them if they manage to wiggle those narrow heads out of the collar.

Your lifestyle/apartment and quiet home may make a wonderful environment for a quiet, more mature hound. I definately see the difference in the ones that I have gotten at two or three years vs. the five year olds.

Also, I'm not sure that I agree that the racing ones are more difficult. Our most laid-back and easy going one is also the one that was the most successful at the track!

Good luck!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I think that you should pick up one if the greyhound books or see if one of the adoption groups have a "meet-n-greet" in one of the local pet stores that you could go and talk to a volunteer about greyhounds.

When I used to do meet-n-greets the first thing I would say to someone that was considering greyhounds as a pet is that 1) you never let them off-leash, 2) you don't tie them up outside, and 3) you do not use a flexi-lead. If the people were OK with that, then we would discuss the other "no no's" like have to watch them constantly when they are around kids (kids and dog) and being very careful at dog parks (or just not going).

Once I would get past all that with a person, then we could discuss all the great things about greyhounds ....

I second this. Greytalk is great to ask a question or two, but when you're new to the breed, it's so much easier to talk to someone in person because you'll generally have tons of questions and it's easier to get those answered at a meet & greet. There are probably several groups in your area who hold them. Adopting The Racing Greyhound by Cynthia Branigan is usually the book I recommend people read before considering a greyhound, but there are others that offer good information too. The books are good to read before going to a meet & greet because they will cover pretty much everything you'll want to know about greyhounds and may bring up questions you can ask at the meet & greet.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Downing

Never owned a dog before and I'm looking at a greyhoud or an IG.

I live alone. I have 2 studio apartments in the back of an asian family's house. I do have somewhat of a small back yard.

I have always wanted a dog and I remember a few years ago being at the dog race track back in Miami where I used to live and they had the race dogs for adoption. They were so friendly and beautiful.

Any recommendations to a first time dog owner and someone that works 8 hours a day? From what I've read greyhounds are okay with a 40 hour a week person as long as you socialize and exercise them.

I just adopted a retired race dog. He is awesome. I would recommend taking a few days off work so they can get use to your home and bond to you. I also work 40 hours a week. They are inside dogs never leave them outside. And they are great in small areas. It surprised me! But I tell you greys have so much personally and are great pets. I wouldn't let them close to your chickens. They may eat them. Dont ever let them off a leash! Best of luck to you!

Edited by Downing

Guest Angelique

Everyone is different, but I would never adopt based on color or sex. My suggestion would be to find a dog whose personality fits your lifestyle.

+1 - You may have a color/size/sex preference, but fit is the most important thing and in the long run WILL override everything else. Think objectively about how much time/effort you have for your dog, what you will enjoy doing with it, how you want to spend your quality time with your hound. Talk to the adoption agency(ies) and be honest about your lifestyle. They don't care if you cant run, or if you work 40 hrs a week. What they care about is getting the perfect grey so that you both enjoy each other and are in an optimal situation. (You may love that female brindle, but she has high prey drive, separation anxiety, needs another hound in the house and is very high energy... this would be a terrible match.) The great thing about adopting retired racers is that you know exactly what your getting. You know what energy level they have, how spooky they are, if they are small dog/cat/chicken safe or not.

Greys in general are Lazy laid back dogs, but they do come in all energy levels. Mine for example would not mind one bit if he never had to go on a walk again, and he is only 5. He loves his car rides though! You can't go wrong with an older hound! <3 Seniors rule!! But again, there are 13 yr olds who are higher strung than 2yr olds, so again, choose the dog, not the stats.

The tearing up of your house again is a temperament issue and if you work with the adoption agency they can probably find one that will not destroy your stuff. (Or you could always crate, but usually this is not necessary) There are tons of toys for "stay at home" dogs, but most greys do not mind being left alone for long periods and they do not become destructive. Kongs are great, or just hiding treats in random parts of the studio...

Separation Anxiety is prevalent among greys. They are accustomed to being surrounded by other hounds and people 24/7, so when switched to a home environment they may become vocal... but this can be worked on and in a week or two most dogs settle in to a routine.

My boy jumped on my bed the second night he was at home, and hasn't left since. Keeps me nice and toasty all winter long. If you are set on having a dog you can sleep with tell the agency, most dogs do not have sleep aggression (ie. when woken startle and may become somewhat defensive until they realize where they are).

I think different is a better word. I like to think of greyhounds as a "non" dog. They are similar to dogs, but they are very different in their temperaments and requirements than most other dogs. That said, they are still dogs. They need to be on lead in all non enclosed areas because they have prey drive, which has been bred into them for over 500 years! They can run faster than any other dog ie. no way in hell you can keep up or catch up while they are running.

Cars are the #1 cause of death in greys, again, don't let him loose anywhere he can get hit by a car, or could run away chasing a bunny or a small dog or a cat. That is the reason there is a leash rule and the need of completely fenced in area if off lead.

Weather advice: If you need a coat, so does he. In hot weather you can always get a cooler jacket. Its like a towel you wet and place on them until it starts drying then you wet it again. It keeps them cool in extreme temperatures.

Iggies are nice dogs, they are much more attention hungry and more energetic - although a smaller yard is plenty for them. (They are just sooo small) Whippets are much much much higher energy than most greys. Nothing against either breed, it's just that they aren't smaller versions of greyhounds, they are different hounds, bred for different purposes, with different temperaments.

I like big dogs. I love lazy dogs. Greys are the dog for me. I know that Saturday afternoon my boy would rather watch a movie snuggled up on the couch than go out for a long walk. He doesn't demand or require nearly as much exercise as most dogs.

I'm also in IT and was able to convince my boss to let me bring my boy to work with me. He comes in to work and sleeps under my desk for 8 hrs a day, at first we went on bathroom breaks every 2 hrs, now i know there is no need. He loves to be at work, he never barks, gets an occasional petting from the colleagues and a treat or two throughout the day. I have had no issues with him. In general, greys are EASY dogs, you just have to know that "they aren't like other dogs". (Think cat+horse+tiny bit of dog)

Best of luck finding the perfect grey. Don't be hasty, the perfect one WILL come your way, it just may take some time, but i guarantee it will be worth the wait.

Welcome to GT! Ask away.

Edited by Angelique

Weather advice: If you need a coat, so does he. In hot weather you can always get a cooler jacket. Its like a towel you wet and place on them until it starts drying then you wet it again. It keeps them cool in extreme temperatures.

Agree with all that you said except the coat thing. I wear a jacket or sweatshirt when it's 50 degrees outside, but Annie Bella would be uncomfortably warm and panting if she had anything on. Annie doesn't wear her fleece jacket this time of year unless we're having a very chilly day (like below 32 degrees), and even then, if the sun's out, a few hundred feet into our walk she's panting and I take off the jacket.