Daphne Needs A Vulva Tuck

Guest TheDawnPatrol

Guest TheDawnPatrol

Hello all,

Our dear Daphne has pretty much reach the end of where medication controls the pain caused by the extra skin over her vulva. I understand a vet can do what is called a labioplasty to remove the overlap of skin which will reduce the UTIs and infections she is prone to. Apparently this is a very bloody surgery and should be done by laser for best results as the laser cauterizes as it cuts.

So the question is: does anyone know and recommend a vet in the DC/MD/VA area that has experience in this type of surgery. If so please reply to robin.r.lowe at gmail. Daphne is just so uncomfortable I feel so sorry for her.

Thank you so very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Robin withe Radar, Daphne, Dottie, & Walter

Guest K9Cookies

We had the surgery done for Gracey because of the same issues. We are in Charlottesville, Virginia though and the vet who did the surgery is outside of Richmond. She did not use a laser, and we've still had good results. Gracey still get some discharge, but she's a lot more comfortable. Good luck! :goodluck

Guest TheDawnPatrol

I would drive to OSU, personally. That is not an easy surgery!

OSU? Ohio State? I have no problem packing the crew in the truck and going wherever necessary to get the Best care for Daf. Who would I contact?

ttfn

Robin

This is the link that I have used for consultations - I'm not sure if it is the same web site for in-person visits.

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/consultation/index.cfm

I believe one of the vets that usually looks at the forms is out of the country caring for parents - I'm not sure when she is due back. You might have better luck contacting them directly.

Good Luck

Guest BrianRke

Yes, Ohio State University. Im not sure where you are but I'm in VA and its only about 6 hours from me. If you dont want to drive that far, I would atleast call them and they could probably recommend a vet closer to you.

Our little Idol had the surgery. She was scored with the laser and she healed very well. She had many stitches; some were removed after two weeks, and the rest were absorbed. It was worth it, as she is fine now.

Good luck with your girl.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Had it done to one of our girls, Lottie. It was a regular surgery. She healed well, but you do have to keep they quiet for the healing time. Years later we couldn't even see a scar. I cut down a lot on her UTIs. she didn't get anymore until years later when she started having other health problems not related to the surgery.

gallery_9376_3027_10401.jpg

Nancy and

Grace - Andicot 2/1/07

Solo - Flying Han Solo 3/20/11

Missing: Murphy, Shine, Kim, Sprite, Red Dog, Lottie & Harry

This is not a complicated surgery at all and a laser is nice to use but, by all means not necessary. Many vets have performed vulvaplastys-- I have personally assisted with many. While in my eyes Ohio Stste is THE place to take your greyhound (in fact I just returned from there with my girl), in this case if you're not up to the drive you should be able to find a surgeon more locally.

If you don't mind the drive than hands down OSU is the place to go. You just need to call the front desk and make an appointment. Tell them why and tell them you have a greyhound-- they will know how to direct you.

If you do go contact me and I can fill you in on some details-- local hotels etc.. One more perk I'll mention- OSU is incredibly reasonable -- I thought they left a zero off of my bill!!!!!