Raw Diet?

Sorry for yet another thread on raw...

Many years ago we fed a prepared frozen raw diet to two of our dogs.....

A Springer Spaniel had terrible skin, and raw was the only thing that helped him.

A Dobe did not digest kibble well, so we started him on the same diet and it was fantastic.

The advantage is that it was considerably cheaper, and the feed is made locally, right here in our village. Many people have been feeding this food for several years and swear by it.

On the other hand, back then we did not have a freezer dedicated to the raw and it was hard to make sure that was kept away from all our human food.

We also had to have a 'dog-food thawing station'. NO way this stuff can be fed when it is frozen!

And of course, it was a bit smelly and messy.

So...once those two 'special needs' dogs went to the bridge, we just started feeding kibble...it just seems easier.

Flash forward 15 years...

None of our Greys have any issues on kibble...they have pretty good weight and for the most part their poos are firm.

But, I am thinking of trying this same raw food again. I know many people who have used it for years.

I would get a small freezer just for the dog food.

I know that everyone here says to just go to the butcher and get the chicken/beef/tripe and do it myself.

But...That is NOT going to happen.

So..here is a link to the raw feed that I can get locally....

http://rawdogfeed.com/

I'd appreciate some opinions!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest mariah

I am far, far, far from an expert on this subject, but their mix seems very high in fat. Since sled dogs expend an enormous amount of calories on a daily basis, they probably need a little more fat than a pet dog would, although 33% seems pretty high to me...even for a performance dog. We feed raw, and it differs a bit depending on what we're feeding, but it usually comes to just about 10% fat.

Most raw food is in the 20-30% range for protein, but this analysis is broken down into dry matter, which takes all the moisture out and makes percentages a lot higher. 33% does seem high for fat though, but it seems to have similar ingredients to most prepared raw diets which are not nearly that high (?). There's no harm in giving it a try, if your pups do well on it, and it is made locally and fresh (not a nasty brown, gross smelling paddy like some of the petstore raw diets!). A lady near me makes a fantastic ground mix, she is starting to sell it in Ontario Global's now, and it is by far the best I have every seen or used. I can dig up the website if you want it.

Edited by RedHead

Guest mariah

Most raw food is in the 20-30% range for protein, but this analysis is broken down into dry matter, which takes all the moisture out and makes percentages a lot higher.

D'oh you're right. I didn't realize it was broken down into dry matter. Carry on.

Guest jbbuzby

I feel like I'd lose my mind (and my house to multiple freezers) if I dedicated myself to going all raw for both my pups. That's not to say everyone would...I just know me!

That being said, I've made a resolution to try and feed multiple raw meals a week (at least 4-6) and high quality kibble or high grade wet food in the evening. I think the benefits of raw are undeniable, but with the kibble (again, high quality!) I feel safer knowing that my basis are covered nutritionally so I don't have to think about it as much. So far it's been working great! Two very happy, healthy hounds that get gold stars from their vet :).

Guest DragonflyDM

Go grocery shopping every week like normal and only buy a weeks worth of food. Keep it in the regular fridge.

I buy 10 quarter chickens, pigs feet, gizzards/hearts, and whatever is on sale. On Sunday, I add in something ground so that I can put in some veggies in there.

Right or wrong, my dog loves it. My pocketbook loves it. My nightly walks require less poopie bags. His breath smells better. He farts less.

I would try it and see how they do! Being all ground, though, you won't get any benefits of teeth cleaning. I get a ground pre-mix for them to eat periodically. They finish it in no time at all and spend the next hour staring at me like they are still starving and haven't been fed. However, that is because they work a little harder chewing their other meals. The stool volume should be less, which is always a big win in my book!

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!

Tell Ruby that Goose thinks it is a great idea!

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Thanks for all the input.

I'll take and consider any and all advice....keep it coming!

I would not have extra room in my fridge to keep enough raw food for three dogs for a week!

If I'm going to 'go raw' it has to be frozen.

And seeing as how this place is 2 minutes from my house, and I know the family quite well, it only makes sense to buy from them.

We had no problems with quality when we used it for our two 'special needs' dogs a few years ago.

They do offer a free trial period.

I cannot remember how much we fed those dogs...any idea on how much we should start them off with?

They cut the frozen 40 pound block into whatever sise portions you need.

Should we start them, slowly, mixing it with kibble ...this would certainly make ME feel better, rather than just changing food abruptly.

At any rate...I don't have any extra funds for a new freezer until I am back at my full time job in another month...and I have just opened a new bag of kibble.

But...I will stop in to the farm that makes this feed and chat with them about it. I just wanted to be 'informed' before I went there!

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest jbbuzby

All the books I've read and the people I've known to do it just go raw cold turkey (no pun intended!). When I wanted to give a raw meal, I did, with no warning. It was just what was for breakfast! The dogs welcomed the surprise, and neither of mine had any D and had perfectly normal stool. Though, I was feeding them chicken quarters/wings...pretty bland. I've heard starting with turkey or chicken is a good, easy intro to start with.

In any case, do what works, if you prefer mixing. But I've seen and heard it working just fine even with the abrupt change :).

When I was feeding mine raw I didn't do 100% raw because of cost and freezer space. My solution was to feed kibble in the morning when I was most rushed and feed a meal of raw at night. I never had any problems with them doing it this way.

I think it's great that you have a local source you can trust for this. I know Nixon, Nigel and Ruby will love it.