Cherry Eye In A Cane Corso

A co-worker brought her year-old Cane Corso to work today to show off, and it has really swollen red globby things in the corners of its eyes. Google tells me it's cherry eye. Co-worker seems to think it's totally normal for the breed, and doesn't need to be treated. Internet suggests surgery. I know nothing, other than it looks ouchy! Does it hurt? Does it impair vision? Is the dog suffering?

I don't know that'd I'd be able to convince her to get it fixed even if it's bad. She and the hubby aren't socializing the dog on purpose, as they want it "for protection". :unsure I wasn't allowed to pet her, and when she tried to come to me she got an unpleasant correction. They don't even let their teenage daughter handle her, which seems bizarre.

Guest serenc

I worked at a dog grooming shop for 3 years and we had a few Cane Corso clients. Cherry eye is typical in bully breeds, boxers etc.

Our neighbor had a boxer and when she got cherry eye they had surgery done.

Thats unfortunate that the dog cant socialize due to training etc. :(

My other neighbors son works with training dogs to compete in schutzhund training and competing. Many of those dogs are well rounded in training and socialization. I guess some just take it more seriously than others... :unsure

Pathetic. Poor dog. These people are clueless. The clearly have no clue what is needed for the makings of a good guarding, protection dog. "nightmare in the making" is the perfect description. Someone is going to get seriously hurt.

Cherry eye needs to be corrected surgically.

Also, people who train protection dogs do not do what these people are doing. Protection dogs are well-socialized, stable dogs who remain in control and can tell the difference between a friendly stranger and the need to protect. These people are going to end up with an unstable, unsocialized mess of an animal who will not do what they want it to do. mad.gif What a shame for the poor dog!

How do they plan on a vet handling the dog is their own daughter can't?

Edited by GreytHoundPoet

Well crap. You're all saying what I was thinking. Crap. Every dog needs to be handled by someone that isn't its people at some point. Vet, groomer, kennel folks. When she got the dog, she told me she probably wouldn't want to keep her for more than a year or so, but wanted to get puppies out of her first -- since they're expensive. She is saying now that the husband will never let the dog go, but I don't know if that's good or bad now that I've seen how she handles her. I should've put this in soapbox.

Will the eyes be damaged? How long? Any good information I can print and stuff in her mailbox about that? I don't hold much hope on the socialization issues. The husband is, well, a different sort of person.

Guest serenc

I agree with that the dog nees to know friendly folks.

the dog wont know friend from foe...someone will get hurt sooner or later.Andddd we all know who would be blamed in that situation...the dog :angryfire

Poor pup!

All the dogs I know that are trained for protection (one of our neighbors dogs) is the most friendly guy. He is well rounded, and when its training/competition time, (shutzhund) then the dog kicks it into guard etc. mode. hmmph.. :angry:

Edited by serenc