It's Been A While Since I've Been Here!

Guest ImAKoala

Guest ImAKoala

Hi All! I used to be a member here, but I stopped posting for a while after my first grey Pete died in Feb. of 2010. It just got kind of hard to be here. I'm sure you all understand.

Some of you may remember me best from Eddie's story. He's the grey that I agreed to dogsit for a greytalk member, for a few days, and then she never came to pick him up. She sent me an email saying that she couldn't care for him and hoped I'd keep him. I found the president of his adoption group here on greytalk, and she was able to transfer ownership of Eddie to me! That was on April Fool's day, 2008.

So just a little update on us...Eddie is doing wonderfully. For a long time after Pete died, I couldn't think about another dog, so it was just Eddie for quite a while. Last July my husband decided he wanted another dog, but wanted to try something smaller than a grey. My big, burly, greasy mechanic of a husband picked out a chihuahua/yorkie mix of all things. His name is Jack, and we got him from a local shelter. He's really a cutie and he and Eddie get along great. Eddie has been my heart dog since the day I met him and Jack really has my husband wrapped around his little paw. We've been doing competition obedience with Jack and enjoying our time with Eddie (who at 11 years old now is just starting to slow down a little.) We really thought our little family was complete!

Until yesterday. I got a call from a friend who had adopted an Iggy she found on Craigslist. This friend already had 2 pit bulls at home and things were just not working out. She wanted to know if we were interested in taking in the Iggy. I got my husband to agree to a trial period, so we brought the Iggy home yesterday. His name is still up for debate. He's 5 years old. The original owners had him for 4 years and named him Steel. (He apparently never learned his name, he doesn't answer to it). My friend was calling him Steely Dan, which was eventually shortened to Dan. My husband has been calling him Stan, which is Steel and Dan combined. I don't know if I like that, but we need to decide on something soon, because if he stays with us, he's going through obedience and needs to learn his name!

He doesn't really have any manners and has pottied in the house, but these are things we can work with. Training Jack in obedience taught me a lot about how to deal with these problems in a positive manner. I never had to worry about any of this with the greys!

So, I guess long story short, talk to me about Iggies! I know lots of you have them and know about them. How are they different than our full sized friends? How are they the same? Anything in particular I need to know about caring for one?

I'm at my computer at work right now, so no photos, but I will add some tomorrow!

I remember Eddie's story. Welcome back to GT. I look forward to seeing those pics. smile.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Welcome back! And thank you for taking the iggy in, even if it turns out to be temporary :).

Iggies are similar to the big greys in a lot of ways - love to be touched, follow you everywhere, can have a significant prey drive, drama queens etc.

Differences (generally speaking) are - tend to be more demanding and needy, they're problem solvers (like greys) but they actually have the energy to take action, more stamina, humpers (get a bunch of iggies together and you'll see what I mean :lol), higher maintenance.

Potty training issues are VERY common with iggies, and he may never be 100%. Having a potty trained pack around him will help, though. Or, you could end up with a guy like mine - perfectly potty trained, but a marker, and a stealth marker at that. Thank goodness for belly bands :P .

Do you know if he's ever had a broken leg? If he's made it to five without one, you shouldn't have to worry about him being too breakable. If you can prevent it, don't let him jump from high places onto a hard surface (the back of a couch, out of an upper crate). Iggies think they can fly and won't hesitate to leap if they're playing or chasing something.

Iggies will make you laugh everyday! They're sweet, funny little bugs that are so full of affection, you'll wonder why you didn't have one before. And even though you've been gone, you can't have forgotten the :rules ! We need :digicam !

And I love the name Stan :) .

Welcome back! I also remember Eddie's story. I'm glad he is doing so well. Can't wait to see photos of Eddie, Jack and Stan or Dan.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

Guest tellybelly

Iggies are wonderful companions, we have 3 in addition to our greyhound! I agree with the pottying situation...it involves patience, consistency and as the previous poster mentioned, may never be 100% even into older age. They are so loving, goofy and major cuddlebugs, too! All the best to you!! :colgate

welcome home! Iggies are great, but I hope to never, ever have a male iggy in my house again. :lol Notoriously hard to house-train, and if there's another male in the house, it's marker-city. Sweet, cuddly, fearless... that describes most iggies, unless they've been abused.

They like to sleep UNDER the blankets with you, and you'll never have to go to the bathroom alone if there's an iggy in the house.

Mary Semper Fi, Dad - I miss you. Remembering Carla Benoist, a Greyhound/Pibble's bestest friend, Princess Zoe Brick-Butt, the little IG with the huge impact on hearts around the world - Miz Foxy - Greyhound Trish - Batman, the Roman-nosed Gentleman - Profile, the Handsome Man - Hunky the Hunkalicious - Jeany the Beautiful Lady- Zema, the most beautiful girl in the world - Jessie, the lovable nuisance - and my 3 Greys: my Angie-girl, my Casey-girl, and The Majestic Pippin, running forever in my heart. (I will always love you and miss you,my friends)

Your pup family is wonderful. Eddie looks like a sweet gentleman. Jack must be a character. The Iggie - look at that adorable face. Thanks for the photos. Please keep us posted on how everything is going.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Really great pictures, and what a gorgeous crew! I have a feeling, though, that you're in for a world of mischief with Jack and the iggy - those faces just look like trouble waiting to happen :P .

Welcome back!

Gorgeous pups. Jack looks like trouble. :lol

How is Phoenix doing? And if I remember you had also taken over care of a fjord too.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Congratulations on your beautiful new addition!!!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.