Peggy's Knee Injury - Update

JohnF

In early January when chasing a squirrel, Peggy suffered a nasty injury to her 'knee' joint which needed surgery and time to recuperate. She healed OK and the stitches came out 10 days later but she got a little 'boil' from one of the injections in her shoulder which eventually came out and scabbed (need to work out which one it was for another time).

She's walking and trotting OK on the leash OK now but still isn't safe off leash (IMHO anyway) due to her compulsion to do zoomies. Mid-week I noticed a limp and the foot not going back staight quick enough for a while after running too hard in the back yard, so she's getting longer more energetic walks with hills involved and also jogging (if it doesn't finish ME off) to help firm the joint and associated structures back up.

We took her to a local lake today for a mosey around.

I don't have experience of getting a Grey's knee better, so if anyone knows of something better to do please say.

This is so weird-- I was just thinking of your girl today and wondered how she healed!

You get that too? Must be that dog people are just as lot more empathic :yinyang

She is one beautiful girl! Love your pictures.

Thank you. She might have her black beauty but there's also a lot of 'naughty monkey' in there. Perhaps I should stop letting the vet give her treats. She appears to LIKE going in there :rolleyes:

Hard to say but probably time and gentle exercise will do the trick. Sometimes when they've had such an injury, the scar will feel funny, leading to different use of the limb temporarily, for no apparent cause. Hope that's all it is. Scritchies to your lovely girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks Batmom. I'm pretty green when it comes to knee injuries esp. as the vet said she'd put a stitch in the tendon or ligament just to make sure because she noticed what she called a 'nick' when washing out the wound. She didn't say anything special about it except to keep it easy with lead walks until a couple of weeks after the stitches come out (that was mid Jan). So I'm erring on the side of caution and trying to allow 60 days without any 'explosive' Grey sprinting; but Peggy's a girl who does not know the meaning of the phrase 'to listen'! She was pleased to get back on the 25 ft lead last week though, but I hate those leads around other dogs. It's probably better to jog with her 8ft lead but I don't have 'wonderful' knees myself at this age :unsure

My Ryder slammed knee first into a concrete steps a year or two ago. No broken bones, etc, has full mobility in it, however it is stiff now and again. I give him Green Lipped Mussels in powder format with his meals and his limp is virtually gone (about 5 months of usage). It really helps with his joints and increased mobility. Not sure a supplement is what you are interested in but I can vouch for what I'm using on Ryder.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Thanks. I used to give that mixed in with Glucosamine and Chordroitin to my last one, Angel, who had a shoulder joint injury that couldn't be fixed with surgery. (A small crack the vet said which hadn't healed smoothly). She was on Metacam for it too.

One concern I have with Peggy is not to get the ligament over-stretched too soon; I wish I knw more about it.

Thanks. I used to give that mixed in with Glucosamine and Chordroitin to my last one, Angel, who had a shoulder joint injury that couldn't be fixed with surgery. (A small crack the vet said which hadn't healed smoothly). She was on Metacam for it too.

One concern I have with Peggy is not to get the ligament over-stretched too soon; I wish I knw more about it.

Thread from last year I started with info in it for you

Thread Linky

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015