At A Loss At This Morning's Wake Up Call

Enza scared the crap out of me this morning and while she seems fine now, I am a little at a loss at what happened.

At 5:30, she tried to wake me up with some whining, but I told her to go to bed and she did. When my alarm went off a few minutes later, I wandered to the bathroom and usually Enza follows me. When I came out, she was sitting in my doorway and would not move. When I say sitting, she was on her back legs and her front legs were tense in front of her. She tried to stand up, but wouldn't/couldn't. She also wouldn't lay down and her eyes were huge but she made no noise. She finally did stand up, but then sat right back down in the same position. With some gentle nudging, I got her to stand up and she very shakily walked to the front door but flat out refused to walk down the stairs. After she tried to lay down in the hallway (in a condo so not ideal), I took her back inside.

As I frantically looked for my phone to call my dad, I noticed she was standing stiff and still and looking at a spot on her side (near the back of her ribcage). I rubbed that and she laid down for a few moments. Enza then got back up, leaned into me, and buried her nose in the treat bag on her leash. I then grabbed the leash and tried to take her outside again. She jumped down the stairs, peed fine, pooped fine, tried to chase a squirrel, barked at another dog, walked fine (no limp, no off gait, was not slow) and then sprinted up the stairs when we were done. AKA - she was fine and normal. I fed her and she did her normal "omg food is awesome!" dance.

She did stand around for a minute or so looking at her side again but settled down on her bed and is fast asleep. I rubbed that side and noticed no scratches, bumps etc.

What. The. Heck. I was ready to rush to the vet but now she seems perfectly normal. I will see how she does on her morning walk but

My only thought is that you were seeing some post-ictal behavior. Ace did some similar things a couple of times...it was around 12:30am both times. Very odd behavior.

I took her to the vet, he did a Chiro adjustment on her-her occiput was way out of whack. He said that and thyroid issues can cause very small seizures...so much so that you never notice the seizure, just the odd behavior afterward. In our case we were sleeping when she woke us whining, so I really have no idea what happened before that.

Another thought along the same lines would be focal seizures.

Glad she seems normal again...how scary!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Abdominal pain.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Abdominal pain.

She did eat a ton of grass when I got her outside and a very very soft stool yesterday morning. But it's been much better since then and I was really taken aback at how she refused to move. Can I give her pepcid or anything or is this a "this too shall pass while I sit and silently freak out".

Pepcid wouldn't hurt :) . Sounds like she is feeling better already, tho. Could've been a monster gas bubble, could be she has some grass hanging out in there that's making its way along.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Agree with Batmom - abdominal pain. Turbo did what you describe frequently when he was having GI issues. Pepcid is good stuff :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Gave her a pepcid and she has since destroyed a stuffie, carried three sticks, greeted our neighbor's new Great Pyrenees doggie, hit me in the knee with a stick, and stole part of my breakfast when I turned my head.

I swear her ability to heal herself just when I grab the keys to go to the vet is rather impressive.

Another thought to go along with abdominal pain is muscle cramp in that area. We went through a period with Inu where he would get this cramps and he would walk around very funny arched back or be a statue and then look at his stomach. (Mind you unlike good stoic Enza he was screaming like a 2 year old child). I came to GT and we figured out he was cramping. If it happens again take a look at her abdomen and see if she's got a hard muscle or one sticking out funny. Just another thing to look for if the pepcid doesn't seem to work.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Another thought to go along with abdominal pain is muscle cramp in that area. We went through a period with Inu where he would get this cramps and he would walk around very funny arched back or be a statue and then look at his stomach. (Mind you unlike good stoic Enza he was screaming like a 2 year old child). I came to GT and we figured out he was cramping. If it happens again take a look at her abdomen and see if she's got a hard muscle or one sticking out funny. Just another thing to look for if the pepcid doesn't seem to work.

That also makes sense as she had just jumped up to get ready for the first walk of the day...

I will definitely keep this in mind if anything like this ever happens at our house...I glossed over the fact that she was looking at her stomach.

Ace had gas pain once and just kept stretching...once we figured that out (thanks to GT folks), I got her some Gas-X and that seemed to do the trick.

I'm glad that Enza's weird episode didn't last very long :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--