Skin Quivers?

I've had Hadji about 4 months. I recently started brushing him daily with one of those mitts with the rubber nubs. He really enjoys it and comes running when I show him the mit. All of a sudden his skin seems to have gotten very sensitive to touch, if you try to pat him on his back or either side, his skin quivers and his legs start involuntary scratching (my other dogs would have one spot that would do this, we called it "getting their motors going"). It doesn't seem painful, someone at the park the other day kept doing it till the dog was on the ground. By brushing him daily, could I have made the nerves in his skin overly sensitive? It's just odd as it came on suddenly, I used to be able to pat and brush him with never a reaction like that. I've stopped brushing him, or even patting him hoping this will go away.

I don't think daily brushing of a greyhound is necessary. I wonder if some of the oils have been stripped away from his skin and he has become dry, or perhaps his skin is abraised from how often he's been brushed. Take a break from brushing and see what happens. Try brushing your skin every day for a few minutes I bet in a few days you might not want to anymore.

There is some great stuff called Dermoscent you can get from your vet that helps repair skin and inhibits hair growth. It's a topical ointment and I swear by it, but it really is expensive. You could try that and see if it's soothes him and makes him better.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

His skin is probably dry from the winter weather, heat in the house, etc.

I'd lay off the brushing for now.

Do you supplement his food at all with fish oil? That can help improve the skin.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

No his skin isn't dry and there's no dandruff (I live in southern FL, so no need for heat in the house, and the air is still pretty humid most days). I just wanted him to get used to being brushed, he was a little nervous when I started, so I thought a few minutes every day would get him used to being groomed. It worked, but then the issue of the spasms arose. I haven't brushed him for a few days now, and his skin is only spasming on one side now, and not as badly.

My Holly did that every once in a blue moon, and I rarely brushed her. I never quite figured out what it was but it only lasted a week or so.

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest PiagetsMom

My Holly did that every once in a blue moon, and I rarely brushed her. I never quite figured out what it was but it only lasted a week or so.

Mirage does this for several days every once in a while, too, but it seems as though it happens when he hasn't been brushed for a few days. I haven't figured it out here, either :dunno

If there is fur loss it could be foliculitus (sp?) it's an auto immune thing where the normal bacteria on their skin goes wacko. Usual a few shampoos with a medicated shampoo makes it go away

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

I took Hadji to the vet for his Rabies shot, and mentioned the skin spasms. The vet checked his spine and said there seemed to be an inflamed disc, which would cause the spasms. Hadji got a shot of prednisone, and a course of pills for a couple of weeks. The spasms have completely gone.