Eating Rabbit Poop

Guest Eyeblaura

Guest Eyeblaura

We have a lot of wild rabbits. I was out in the backyard playing with the kids and Enzo today and I look over and thought Enzo was eating grass. Upon further inspection he is sniffing out and eating rabbit poop. Gross! He doesn't eat his own poop, thankfully. I am assuming although this is gross it isn't harmful?

Guest goofydog

We have a lot of wild rabbits. I was out in the backyard playing with the kids and Enzo today and I look over and thought Enzo was eating grass. Upon further inspection he is sniffing out and eating rabbit poop. Gross! He doesn't eat his own poop, thankfully. I am assuming although this is gross it isn't harmful?

Oh yeah, rabbit and deer poo are delicacies :lol

Guest Eyeblaura

Oh yeah, rabbit and deer poo are delicacies :lol

Yumm! Next time I'll offer him an after snack mint ;)

I believe they can get parasites from eating rabbit poop. At least our female dog, who was a devoted rabbit poo eater, was frequently afflicted with coccidia.

I just confirmed via Google that yes, dogs can get coccidia from rabbit poop. You want to prevent her from doing this is you can. Try a muzzle with a stool guard.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Eyeblaura

I believe they can get parasites from eating rabbit poop. At least our female dog, who was a devoted rabbit poo eater, was frequently afflicted with coccidia.

I just confirmed via Google that yes, dogs can get coccidia from rabbit poop. You want to prevent her from doing this is you can. Try a muzzle with a stool guard.

Good info! Thank you!

Guest gomiesmom

Yes - as the other wise member pointed out -they DO get coccidia from Rabbit poop ! It's like a delacacy to my little Lilly - she loves it. I get so frustrated w/ her and the poop.

She's had Coccidia TWICE. Use poop guard, but she is not aways muzzled, we have a fence, but we alternate w/ our two - if we don't want them to run; one is on a leash and one is free & sometimes both are leashed, like before & after dinner; even w/ Lil on a leash , she finds it -- & she LOVES it.... ugggggggggg .

Also, per my vet, they do not ALWAYS shed the coccidia in each bowl movement, so multiple tests are required for us if we suspect. I take in just poop sometimes & they test it & call me.

Rabbit coccidia (Eimeria) is a different genus from dog coccidia (Isospora). The rabbit coccidia does not actually infect dogs. You can sometimes find it in the stool of dogs that have eaten rabbit poop, but it's just passing through, doesn't cause any problems, and doesn't need to be treated. They can only get the rabbit tapeworms by eating the rabbit itself. There really aren't any parasites that dogs can specifically from eating rabbit (or deer) poop. I have both in my backyard and let my dogs enjoy. :sick:lol

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Quiet Man got Coccidia from eating rabbit poop. Since it's impossible to clean it up since there are so many pellets, a muzzle with stool guard is your best bet.

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

all three of mine say " YUMM can we come over for desert!!! :lol:blink:

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest greyhoundgirl1

Rabbit coccidia (Eimeria) is a different genus from dog coccidia (Isospora). The rabbit coccidia does not actually infect dogs. You can sometimes find it in the stool of dogs that have eaten rabbit poop, but it's just passing through, doesn't cause any problems, and doesn't need to be treated. They can only get the rabbit tapeworms by eating the rabbit itself. There really aren't any parasites that dogs can specifically from eating rabbit (or deer) poop. I have both in my backyard and let my dogs enjoy. :sick:lol

Glad to hear this, since my new boy, Ian, definitely considers rabbit poop a delicacy! I tried muzzling him, but he just spends his whole time in the yard trying to get the muzzle off! So if he can just feast when he wants, it would be preferable. With the new fallen snow, I can easily see where the poop is and remove it. Previous to the snow it was all camoflaged!!! :snowman

I asked our vet about it and said since rabbits in our area are healthy, rabbit poop wont hurt them. Their immune systems can handle it. However, it 's not something I encourage, but I don't worry if they find some and eat it.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I've had a dog that's been a rabbit-poop eater for 5 years. No issues at all. If the dog is kept up to date on all shots, and has regular vet visits, I don't see a problem, other than the gross factor. (no face-kisses allowed with the poop mouth).

Of course, this may be different in different parts of the country.