Training Inspiration

Guest Fruitloop

Guest Fruitloop

Hello! New here and just two months into being owned by Fruity (AK's Fruitcake). I enjoy training tricks and have often gone to the Never Say Never Site for inspiration and ideas. When the border collie folks on dog training forums say "just put a box near your dog and see how many behaviors they will offer you" (that "101 things to do with a box" thing)...um that doesn't happen with Fruity. I had to barricade her path just to get her to consider stepping on a box. She wasn't afraid of it, she'd just ignore it completely and walk over/around it. Now she pounces on the box gleefully when cued. She makes this disgruntled snorting sound when I am trying to teach her something new which I totally feel means,"Good gravy woman, can't you see I just did the most beautiful <insert trick already learned>?! Why don't you give me the click and treat already?" But when she gets it, she gets it and we're both having a good time.

I stumbled on an old video off a dog training forum, that was SUPER inspiring and I just wanted to share. Start at 4:03 for the greyhound tricks:

Guest jacsar

Oh My! What a good dog! I have never seen a greyhound do those things! The wind ups were priceless and the jumping amazing! Thank you for posting. Yes, very inspirational!

Obviously what I've been doing wrong in training Gracie is that I haven't been winding up her tail. :lol

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Holy ____! In my dreams -- how did he do this?

Anyone watching, don't skip ahead to the greyhound -- watch all of it, but don't miss the grey, either!

Thank you for posting this here -- a whole new world of training to explore!

I've seen the instructions for how to train the somersault. (Essentially, get them to target something, and then start moving it between the front legs. They didn't explain how to get the actual roll bit. but I'm thinking a good trick dog would do it naturally at some point.) I don't know if I could get Katie to jump that high, but I watched that and was like "okay... I could probably get her to do that, and that, and that." Not sure I'd ever get them as smooth and polished, but that's partly because I am a lazy trainer! :colgate

And I remember watching Run Appaloosa Run back when I was a kid at the library summer program.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

That greyhound ain't rite :lol

This is awesome! Thanks for posting it!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest Fruitloop

I've seen the instructions for how to train the somersault. (Essentially, get them to target something, and then start moving it between the front legs. They didn't explain how to get the actual roll bit. but I'm thinking a good trick dog would do it naturally at some point.) I don't know if I could get Katie to jump that high, but I watched that and was like "okay... I could probably get her to do that, and that, and that." Not sure I'd ever get them as smooth and polished, but that's partly because I am a lazy trainer! :colgate

And I remember watching Run Appaloosa Run back when I was a kid at the library summer program.

I was thinking about that forward roll - maybe, and I'm just guessing here, start with the basic handstand training (back feet on books against wall, adding more books to make it higher and higher) and then have her target something between her front legs...to under her body until she eventually rolls forward...then jackpot!! With the rate Fruity wants to learn it would probably take at least two whole two months! :rolleyes: Right now we're working on "pick up that toy that isn't moving" and at just a teeth grab stage so it's gonna be a while. Oh, but that roll would be so cute!

I tried the 101 things to do with a box with Tracker. The result was: one. He'll nudge the box with his nose, over and over and over. If I stop treating him for that, he'll just lie down next to it and look at me expectantly, and when treats are still not forthcoming, he'll fall asleep. Not once did he try anything else. Too funny. Either I'm clueless as a trainer (which is entirely possible) or he's a bit dim (or shall we say "lacking in imagination").

That greyhound (in the video) is INSANE!!

Wonderful and weird Greyhound stuff. One of the things about Greyhounds I like and admire is they're not a typical Golden or Lab who does tricks. I think like all dogs they should have manners but looking at this vid weirded me out. :eek

Very cool -- thanks for posting that!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Wonderful and weird Greyhound stuff. One of the things about Greyhounds I like and admire is they're not a typical Golden or Lab who does tricks. I think like all dogs they should have manners but looking at this vid weirded me out. :eek

I felt the same way--I was thinking how "undignified" especially for a greyhound...

Guest SupersMom

Husband laughed his socks off over the tail winding. Our girl has an on switch, no winding necessary. We're trying mental stimulus exercises with her--she's interested and the wheels are turning, but she doesn't get it yet.