How Many Of You Use A Crate In Your Home?

Guest Geostar

Just my opinion...someone mentioned not using the crates at all for their fosters. NOT a good idea. It's important as a foster home to teach and train him, part of that is crate training. The home they go to may want to use a crate and they have to start from scratch with training. NOT FUN. I was an adopter who had a foster who didn't crate train and she didn't do the dog any favors by not crating her.

But if crates are supposedly so wonderful to these dogs, you know the old "it's like a den to them" bit, you would think they would readily go in one. I for one have never seen a den where the animal was not free to come and go. To me once you shut that door it's no longer a den but a cage. I do, however, think crates should be used or not used as the circumstances call for them. Crating for medical reasons as jillysfullhouse gave an example or crating to ensure the protection of another pet as an example given by PrairieProfessor or not crating because the stress it actually causes the dog as shared by 45MPHK9. I think both individuals and adoption groups should look at it this way. If a dog is clearly stressed in a crate then it should not be forced to be crated and a home that does not require it to be crated should be found.

Oh and as for the OP's question, I have 3 greys and a bulldog and do not crate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my opinion...someone mentioned not using the crates at all for their fosters. NOT a good idea. It's important as a foster home to teach and train him, part of that is crate training. The home they go to may want to use a crate and they have to start from scratch with training. NOT FUN. I was an adopter who had a foster who didn't crate train and she didn't do the dog any favors by not crating her.

But if crates are supposedly so wonderful to these dogs, you know the old "it's like a den to them" bit, you would think they would readily go in one. I for one have never seen a den where the animal was not free to come and go. To me once you shut that door it's no longer a den but a cage. I do, however, think crates should be used or not used as the circumstances call for them. Crating for medical reasons as jillysfullhouse gave an example or crating to ensure the protection of another pet as an example given by PrairieProfessor or not crating because the stress it actually causes the dog as shared by 45MPHK9. I think both individuals and adoption groups should look at it this way. If a dog is clearly stressed in a crate then it should not be forced to be crated and a home that does not require it to be crated should be found.

Oh and as for the OP's question, I have 3 greys and a bulldog and do not crate.

i kept my dog in the crate while i was at work for the first month, and still close him in there when necessary. he was definitely NOT thrilled at first, but now he literally bolts into it when its time for bed, and sleeps there all night with the door open. same for when its nap time and i dont let him on the couch. it makes me laugh every time -- i have the crate covered with a blanket, and its like he's running into his own little castle.

If a dog is comforted by being in a crate then fine ...but shut the door and lock it in? Never, that would be inhuman..... (and inhumane). Dogs aren't meant to live in cages any more than people are. In my opinion.

And how about tying a rope around someone's neck & forcing them to go where you want? Is that inhuman & inhumane? IMHO crating is no worse than using collar & leash. It's a tool to be used with care or not used at all based on need & what is appropriate for the circumstance. 

Edited by kudzu

We crate our fosters (with one exception because he was clearly terrified by it), mainly for safety reasons. DH is a grad student and I work full time so neither of us wants to be worrying about the safety of our boy with a new dog. Crating fosters is also useful for dealing with any behavioural issues they might have (and we tend to take the harder to place ones so most have had issues), as well as avoiding potential problems at feeding time.

If we adopt again while Peyton is still with us, I would definitely crate the new addition.

Guest abarnet1

I started with a crate. Now no crate. Mine used it for a couple days when I first brought her home. Then every time I tried to get her to go into crate she would shake and chatter teeth. She did not want to be in it anymore. Crate is down and under bed just incase I need it. Now when I come home from work, toys and blankets are all over house....I think she throws a party and invites other dogs over...LOL. She has not tried to get into anything. I am install a wireless camera so I can watch her while I am at work. :collate So I can see what see does during the day.