How Many Of You Use A Crate In Your Home?

Guest Geostar

Guest Geostar

I'm curious: how many of you use a crate at home? For what purpose? Do you use it in a van as well?

According to dog trainers, a crate is a good idea as it becomes a 'den' or 'cave' and therefore, security while you are out on an errand for an hour or more. It is a good tool when obtaining a foster grey as it will help them adjust to their surroundings.

Looking forward in hearing from you.. =star

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest mountain4greys

We have 6 greyhounds and 1 foster. Every time we adopted a new grey, we set up a crate until we knew they didn't need it anymore, and then took it down until we adopted again. Our house is small, so we don't have room for a bunch of crates. We always have one set up for the foster, just in case they need it for their comfort zone.

I feed my fosters in the crate to because they don't know the routine at feeding time around here, and we don't want anyone fighting over food.

The foster I have right now doesn't use the crate that much, but it can be different for each foster. Some want the crate, some don't. But I don't ever crate my own.

Guest Tiptons_Mom

I have one Grey now, and one that I am picking up on Saturday. I have only had Tipton for a month, and I still crate while I am out due to his SA. He gets into trouble while looking around the house for me. I also have cats, and I don't want to take any chances, since he is still new. He does not sleep in the crate at night, he sleeps in my room with a baby gate to keep him in.

My second Grey will be coming home on Saturday and he will also be crated for potty training, cat safety and the inital getting to know you phase.

My hope is that some day soon (fingers crossed) I will be able to leave the boys together without being crated while I am not home. I believe that Tipton's SA is the cause for his getting into trouble while alone, and the addtion of the new pup will hopefully help with that. The cats have the upstairs and the boys would have the downstatirs so that would not be much of an issue.

Guest Geostar

Hi..thanks for sharing! We use the crate for each foster as well. I've found that even if the fosters don't like the crate at first, a treat always works wonders, and before you know it, they literally jump into the crate for they anticipate that treat!

=star

Guest TBSFlame

I have a couple of crates set up for Memmie and fosters and anyone who might need it. My hounds love to lay in a crate but Jeremy and Riley do not like the door shut. Memmie loves her crate and prefers to lay in one while I am away. I also feed any new dogs in their crate or baby gated in another room.

I did at first with mine and will again if I bring another one home. It's a fantastic training tool and it does help the dog adjust, but I don't think they should be used forever. Just until the dog is trustworthy alone in the house.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

I don't use a crate, and I don't think you'll find many other retired greyhound owners here in the UK who do. I gather that racing greyhounds in the US live in crates, which makes it understandable that they would find them a safe haven when they retire and move into a domestic setting. However, British racing greyhounds haven't had that experience - they live in kennels, usually in dog/bitch pairs I understand.

Am glad about this as a suitably-sized crate would have been a hard thing to find space for! (I think our British homes are usually smaller than yours.) Ugly to look at, too.

That said the use of crates does seem to be on the increase here, for smaller dogs and for training puppies. I can see their merits as a safe haven/ safe transit accommodation for a dog, that's fine but I do worry that they are open to abuse and that some people will shut dogs up in them for long hours, just to keep them out of the way. A dog is not a 'cage pet'!

Clare with Tiger (Snapper Gar, b. 18/05/2015), and remembering Ken (Boomtown Ken, 01/05/2011-21/02/2020) and Doc (Barefoot Doctor, 20/08/2001-15/04/2015).

"It is also to be noted of every species, that the handsomest of each move best ... and beasts of the most elegant form, always excel in speed; of this, the horse and greyhound are beautiful examples."----Wiliam Hogarth, The Analysis of Beauty, 1753.

I still use my crates, after 3 years. Not because I feel like my dogs need it, but, because I don't have to worry about them when I'm out and it's convenient for me.

I work from home, so, my guys are only crated when I go out.

I made their crates a good place to be from day one. I feed them in their crates, and they always get treats when they go in. They RUN to their crates when they know I'm leaving. Two of my dogs go into their crates often when we're just sittin' around, watching TV or whatever....Flower, particularly. She loves her crate.

If I took them down tomorrow, though, I don't think anyone would care, except me! Where would I feed them?? I'd have to go out and buy feeders. ;)

Guest KennelMom

We have one crate. At night we crate our blind dog b/c she prefers it...if we leave her out she barks until we kick whoever IS in the crate out and let her in. Not sure why she does this... Maybe she feels safer with the quiet of the night.

We also crate Tater when we leave b/c she can get muzzles off and nips ears if she gets excited when we're gone/pull in the garage.

eta: at all other times the crate is just left open for whoever wants to be in there. A few dogs rotate in and out and seem to like it in there at different times of the day.

I have used travel crates in the van...I usually have to have them for lure coursing days anyway, so it's easier to leave them setup and travel with the dogs in them. Once I hit a deer on the Interstate, several hours from home and having the crates was a doGsend b/c the van had to be towed and I knew the dogs inside would be secure. Short, around town trips we don't use them.

Edited by KennelMom

I don't and have never used a crate. I would if a dog needed or wanted it though.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

I have 2 crates set up but I only use them for feeding. Sometimes they will lay down in a crate. Brooke will retreat to her crate if Rex is doing his circle zoomies in the living room. Lately I've been thinking about folding the crates up and getting feeders. My house has only 900 sqft of heated space downstairs, so I had to move my dining room table into the unheated 3-season porch to create room for 2 crates. Really would like to have a dining room again...

JoAnne, Instagram username mizhunie.

Brooke - Runnin Gamble
Trixie - 7 lbs of furry kitty love

Tucker - WW Charlie Sheen
Elmo - RIP buddy 3/16/12 (miss you so much!) Rex - Four Wheeler 4/18/17 (RIP buddy)

We had 8 crated at one point, 4 on the bottom and 4 on the top in our bedroom. We are down to 4 crates and 5 on the floor now. Our of the 4 that are crated, one has some space aggression, one has seizures, one loves his crate and can't sleep well elsewhere and one is new. They are only crated at night to sleep or if I go somewhere during the day.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest verthib

I'm not sure why folks say they need feeders if they were to not use crates?? I use crates for feeding AND I use raised feeders in their crate. I just remove them after they eat. If I didn't use feeders, they would have to bend down onto the floor of the crate and eat and I don't like them being in an awkward position while eating. I use crates and plan to use them as long as necessary. It is my hope that I can wean them off of the crates within the next year, but if not, I am happy to keep using them. I don't feel dogs are "cage pets" as someone put it, BUT I do feel they deserve to be safe and not set them up to fail. If I left mine alone now without a crate (esp. my boy!), they would eat the cat toys, chase the cats, counter surf, etc. It's just better for them right now.

I'm not sure why folks say they need feeders if they were to not use crates?? I use crates for feeding AND I use raised feeders in their crate. I just remove them after they eat. If I didn't use feeders, they would have to bend down onto the floor of the crate and eat and I don't like them being in an awkward position while eating.

Exactly. I feed in my crates, but, their bowls are attached to the crate....not something I could use outside of the crate.

If I didn't feed in their crates, I would have to buy/make separate raised feeders.

Guest verthib

I'm not sure why folks say they need feeders if they were to not use crates?? I use crates for feeding AND I use raised feeders in their crate. I just remove them after they eat. If I didn't use feeders, they would have to bend down onto the floor of the crate and eat and I don't like them being in an awkward position while eating.

Exactly. I feed in my crates, but, their bowls are attached to the crate....not something I could use outside of the crate.

If I didn't feed in their crates, I would have to buy/make separate raised feeders.

Ahhhhh that makes sense! :P

Guest mountain4greys

Ahhhhh that makes sense! :P

Yep! I use a 5 gallon bucket that I got at Home Depot to put in the crate when the foster eats. Still gives him room to move around until I get him out. Then the bucket comes out.

I feed mine in their crates and no they don't have raised bowls they eat and then immediately go out to go potty.

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

3 hounds + 1 foster always around = 3 crates.

Crating for multiple hounds is a safety issue. I have three that will be in their crates and one outside of the crates when everyone eats. When training time comes around, three are crated while the 4th is being trained. If we have maintenance people in and out of the house, three are crated, and the one left out is the lazy boy that doesnt get off the couch for anyone.

Example of safety:

a year ago my wife and I woke up early and were both very disoriented. To the point that I called 911 to have someone come by and do a carbon monoxide test on the house. Just as the ambluance and fire engines came up to the door, I had 3 of my hounds go into their crates, and I put a leash on the 4th and tied the leash to my arm. I didnt have to worry about someone leaving the door open while they came in and out. And frankly in an emergency situation, nobody really cares. Could you put them in a room and shut the door, yes, but what happens when the fired department are opening all the doors to check for problems? Beleive me, they dont care that you say, dont open that door, or be careful not to let the dogs out.

There are many other reasons that a crate is a safety device, especially if you have cats like I do.

In the van, everyone is muzzled and no crates. I am not one that puts seat belts on my hounds, or otherwise tethers them to the vehicle. Can they become missles and seriously hurt in an accident, yes, but the restraining devises designed for dogs is not to protect them in a crash, its to stop them from hurting humans from flying around the vehicle.

one last note, the adoption group that I foster for requires crates for all fosters. No if, ands or buts...

I agree with a poster above, the "crate pets" comment is a bit uncalled for.

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Guest stacy6344

I will be trying to wean Tripp of daycare and start to use his crate for at least a few days during the week when my dad is able to be there to let him out for a potty break at lunch.

Do most of you that use a crate work full time?

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

In my house as you can see by my post above, I have three crates. When I leave all three of my own hounds are free to come and go (I have a doggie door), but the foster is crated. My hounds will sleep in their crates virtually every day when my wife and I are home, we keep the doors open all the time. We feed them in their crates, and use the crates during training. I did have to keep my boy Bart in a crate for a week while his severe leg sprain healed up. He didnt mind it. Another reason for keeping a crate around with greyhounds is how easy they can hurt themselfs, it is yet another safety devise to keep them calm, and or separated from the others in the pack to help alleviate the chances for re-injury.

I will be trying to wean Tripp of daycare and start to use his crate for at least a few days during the week when my dad is able to be there to let him out for a potty break at lunch.

Do most of you that use a crate work full time?

I'm retired and home 24/7 so the only time mine are in crates is to sleep or if I go out during the day then 4 are crated and 5 are muzzled.

As Docsdoctor explained its not as common in the UK with greyhounds. I've never used a crate and would struggle to fit 2 in our house, so the dogs have always been loose and baby gated into the kitchen or living room when were out. I do have a type of x-pen which Throp likes to hide in during fireworks season and it was useful to keep Hattie from wandering at night when she first came home, but its not a permanent fixture as it takes up too much room.

I stopped using a crate years ago for my fosters - if I crated a foster, they cry all night.

My two are not crated (ever), they are destructive to themselves in a crate because they are frantic to get out and would hurt themselves (think bloody noses and paws).

Guest bethac

We have three females, no crates in the house or vehicle. Each time we brought a new hound home, we used the crate for feeding and when we were gone, but that didn't last long.

We seldom leave them alone for more than about 5 hours because DH is a realtor and has a very flexible schedule so that helps a lot.