Thinking Of Trying Melatonin For Goldie's Sundowners

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Happy New Year to everyone.

As many of you may know, our Goldie, 11, has CCD (Doggie Alzheimers). Her days are wonderful, but her nights are, well, a nightmare!

She will start around 9-10 p.m. with extreme hyperactivity, whining, barking, running through the house, trying to bite me (not DH), etc. This can go on for hours! Last night, it started at 11 p.m. and she finally fell asleep after 15mg of Valium and some Rescue Remedy, at 3 a.m.! She has an extreme need to be with DH, and follows everywhere.

Now, we love this girl, and we'd do anything for her, but this nightly thing of hers is wearing us out. Good thing we are both retired, or we couldn't function at work. We have to sleep in, just to keep up.

I was reading online about giving Melatonion for Sundowners in dogs. I am willing to try anything, and really don't want to give her Anipryl or increase the Valium dosage. (*I wouldn't give the Valium with the Melatonin). Has anyone tried the Melatonin for Sundowners? Also, I know a lot of folks use this for anxiety, etc. What strength and dosage would you recommend?

I appreciate any input on the Melatonin and the Sundowners.

Dee

There is a melatonin derivative that my mother takes that helps her to fall asleep at night but, it does not work all the time but enough so that she sleeps most nights. It's a prescription so you know that the amount of active ingredient is regulated (unlike the OTC drugs). I don't know if it is used on animals though ...

The name is rozerem - link too website:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000321/

Also, Valium is highly addictive as I'm sure that you know .. you won't be able to just stop it and even gradually decreasing the dosage might cause withdrawal.

I use Melatonin for Gracie during July, it really helps her with anxiety and coping with loud noises. I use 3 mg tablets and use up to 9 mg a day depending on how close to the 4th it is. I don't know that it makes dogs sleepy like it does us, but it sure helps her be less anxious.

Have you visited this site ? http://www.canine-ep...m/melatonin.htm Very good information, hope it helps .

Edited by Charla

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

We tried melatonin for Heidi's anxiety (rain, wind, noise, imagined things). Unfortunately it didn't help her fears, but I know others that have had success with it. The dosage per my vet was up to 9mg 3x/day.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Dee, try some of the links on this site: here

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Thanks, everyone, for all your advice and help. I will be getting the Melatonin today, and will let you know how it works.

I definitely know that I have to wean Goldie off the Valium slowly. The drug is addicting, and can cause seizures if withdrawn too quickly. Luckily, she is only taking 10 mg/daily. I will speak to my vet about adding the Melatonin, easing off the Valium, etc.

She actually had a fairly decent night, last night. Weird! Maybe it was because is was 10 degrees outside, and she wanted to say snuggled and warm! :)

Garth has anxiety over loud noises (holidays and thunder storms).

I use Nature's Bounty (from Walgreens) in a 3mg (1 pill) dosage. Garth weighs 75 pounds.

During long periods of anxiety (4th July), I use 1 pill in the am and 1 in the pm. Otherwise, 1 pill tucked in cheese works just fine. You need about a 2 hour lead time.

Our vet has approved the dosage. I find that the Melatonin works better than valium for Garth. Good luck.