Dc Area Maryland Vet

Guest jvandover

IIRC (I rarely look at the bills anymore...just hand over the card), the office visit is $45. Bloodwork varies depending on which lab they send it to and is anywhere from $64 to $95. The last time I got the dogs vaccinated we did the DHPP and rabies 3 year and it was about $25/dog...a little more than the mobile vet in the area, but I wanted it all done at our regular vet this time.

I typically don't either, but I was just debating pet insurance for my new addition and re-evaluating my budget so I went through bills so I could determine annual costs. For comparison, my vet (who is quite reasonably priced for the DC area) charges:

Office visit: $60

DHPP + Rabies Vaccination: $51 total

Full blood panel: $145

Snap test: $56

So anywhere from 133-225% higher costs. Just thought it would be interesting to compare since there's often discussion of differences depending on region.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

IIRC (I rarely look at the bills anymore...just hand over the card), the office visit is $45. Bloodwork varies depending on which lab they send it to and is anywhere from $64 to $95. The last time I got the dogs vaccinated we did the DHPP and rabies 3 year and it was about $25/dog...a little more than the mobile vet in the area, but I wanted it all done at our regular vet this time.

I typically don't either, but I was just debating pet insurance for my new addition and re-evaluating my budget so I went through bills so I could determine annual costs. For comparison, my vet (who is quite reasonably priced for the DC area) charges:

So anywhere from 133-225% higher costs. Just thought it would be interesting to compare since there's often discussion of differences depending on region.

Yeah, the numbers that Neylasmom gave are standard for the area. I think an office visit at Ballston is $65?, the rest is in line with what I've been paying over four vet practices (evets included, except they are more like $80 for office visit) in the last 6 months or so (for cats and dogs).

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

There is a greyhound savy vet in Beltsville, Dr. Prowell is wonderful! Their prices are very very reasonable.

4246 Powder Mill Rd

Beltsville, MD 20705

(301) 937-3020

That's the one. I'm always confusing Greenbelt with Beltsville :lol

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Yeah, the numbers that Neylasmom gave are standard for the area. I think an office visit at Ballston is $65?, the rest is in line with what I've been paying over four vet practices (evets included, except they are more like $80 for office visit) in the last 6 months or so (for cats and dogs).

I think the Ballston fee is $72. :blink: My bill for the exam and 2 x-rays was $214.70 - my VPI invoice shows $72 for diagnosis, which would be the exam fee and $142.70 for testing, which would be the 2 x-rays.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I can't imagine any surgical procedure costing less than $300-$400 around here. Even the most minor thing.

But $1,200 for a partial tail amp? Not even around here! Heck, Kramer's was thrown in for free when he had a TPLO (which ran over $7,000). The vet chopped off a few inches for me since he was under anyway, and his happy tail had gone on for over 16 weeks with no resolution.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest hollyhound2000

I use Muddy Branch vet in Gaithersburg. Dr. Katz actually is very knowledgeable about greyhounds and Dr. Lowenthall (a woman)is very lovely. She even followed up with a mentor from her vet school who specializes in greyhounds when she had a question about something she was seeing in my boy. I would not say they are cheap, though not horrific. If I have anything that is going to cost mucho $$$ I go to Rocky Gorge in Laurel, specifically for Sally Morris. It is an outstanding practice that is considerably cheaper than elsewhere.