When My Morning Comes Around

Guest betheab199

Guest betheab199

When I walked into the vet 1 year ago, this song by Iris DeMent was playing on the radio:

When my mornin' comes around, no one else will be there

so I won't have to worry about what I'm supposed to say

and I alone will know that I climbed that great big mountain

and that's all that will matter when my mornin' comes around

When my mornin' comes around, I will look back on this valley

at these sidewalks and alleys where I lingered for so long

and this place where I now live will burn to ash and cinder

like some ghost I won't remember

When my mornin' comes around

When my mornin' comes around, from a new cup I'll be drinking

and for once I won't be thinking that there's something wrong with me

and I'll wake up and find that my faults have been forgiven

and that's when I'll start living

When my mornin' comes around

It gave me a strange feeling.

Lolita, who had been in a sharp decline the previous month, was anxious but still sought out all the people and animals in the waiting room. For a dog that was terrified of any dog other than greyhounds, that too was odd.

I left her, trembling like a leaf, for Xrays and a possible dental. For the past month she had been panting, pacing, having trouble with stairs, not eating, wandering the house at night. The vet found a corn, but I didn't think that was the cause. So we decided to investigate further

On the way to work, I decided it might be better to work from home until I got word.

The vet called me an hour later to say that they had sedated Lolita, taken pelvic xrays and they looked great. They were going to move on to the dental.

Great news. I decided to go in to work.

Then I changed my mind. Might be better to just stay home

Several hours later, I was just considering calling to see how she was doing. I can't even recall, I may have done that.

Then the phone rang with the news. We lost her.

I'm still sad that I didn't get to say good bye and at least be with her at the end, as I have for so many of my dogs. I still miss her.

We had her for nearly 7 years, and she kept coming out of her shell more and more. She had a good life with us, I feel better knowing that.

Run free, Lolita. Hope to see you again someday.

The first anniversary is so very hard. I'm sorry you lost your girl without being able to say goodbye.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Hugs to you as you remember your girl.

Rest well, Lolita.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.