Hello From Nw Ohio!

Guest BuckeyeAmy

Guest BuckeyeAmy

Hello all, my name is Amy and this is my boy, Flynn. He ran his last race on August 27, 2011 and raced into my heart Oct. 21! He is my first Greyhound, although I had plans to adopt for four years but wanted to wait until the time was right.

Flynn (fka "Gutter Guy") is 3 1/2 years old and raced at Southland his first year and Daytona his 2nd year. I was interested in knowing that he won 11 of the 78 races he ran. Thank God, he came to me with sound mind and body, in fact I've never known a dog so emotionally sound! I have to hand it to his handlers, they did a great job with him. He is incredibly polite, gentle and eager to please.

Flynn entered my life at the perfect time. My 8 1/2 year marriage was over and the divorce was finalized in September. My heart was healed and I felt the urge to finally adopt a Greyhound. I wanted a quiet and gentle spirit to enter my life and be my companion. I enjoy walking and really don't like to walk alone, so I was so happy to discover that Flynn has excellent leash manners and is a willing companion on daily walks. We try to walk at least 2 miles a day but the nasty weather lately has made it difficult!

If anyone has any of Flynn's siblings, please let me know! Unfortunately I was unable to find any videos of Flynn racing, but did see 2 videos of his sister, Bob's Pixie, racing. His sire is Bob's Skeet and his dam is Wannawinsum Cash.

I so love my beautiful boy! He is still coming out of his shell and I love to see how he continues to insert himself into my daily activities. I work nights and it's so wonderful to have a quiet boy who loves to sleep during the day while I am sleeping, and who doesn't mind taking a midnight walk with me. Here are some photos of my handsome boy.

812EF4EB.jpg

BDED5A83.jpg

26179749.jpg

0AF73C82.jpg

8BC9A4C2.jpg

C1E4B524-3.jpg

Here he is with my mom. She was hurting bad that day and Flynn was glued to her. She leaned on him for support at times and he willingly held her up. I am thinking he would make an excellent therapy dog because of his empathy and gentle nature.

69EEEF4F.jpg

The obligatory Santa hat. He's such a good sport. I love how Greyhounds are so tolerant of such silliness on our parts!

Guest shanesmom

Hello greenwave.gif We're in Ohio too. Close to the Cleveland area. Maybe we'll meet some time. Which group did you adopt Flynn from? I adopted my current greyhound Ace form Greyhound Adoption of Ohio.

Guest BuckeyeAmy

Hello greenwave.gif We're in Ohio too. Close to the Cleveland area. Maybe we'll meet some time. Which group did you adopt Flynn from? I adopted my current greyhound Ace form Greyhound Adoption of Ohio.

That's where I got Flynn from! I chose them because they had a lot of dogs and I wanted to meet as many as I could. There is a local group here (North Coast Greyhound Connection) but they don't have more than 7 or 8 at a time it seems. I would love to get together with other Greyhound owners. I think Flynn is not that crazy about other breeds. He had a bad experience meeting my cousin's heeler and my mom's tiny Yorkie doesn't seem to speak the same language!

When did you adopt Ace?

Love his Buckeye outfit! Hi from Columbus and congrats!

I am lucky that mom knows how to sew. She made all kinds of nice blankets and pillows for Flynn. He is so spoiled!

Interesting and wonderful photos. Welcome from central New Jersey.

Thank you Irene!

Guest HopeSLP

Wow, your Flynn is so handsome! He really does look like my Petey. I doubled checked my grey's sire and dam just to be sure, no such luck on them being siblings. I loved reading your story, as I can relate to this "getting-to-know-you" phase. It's great watching them come out of their shell. Pete never even wagged his tail when I first got him, and now when I get home from work...he practically dances he's so darn excited.

LOVE the one with the Santa hat, too!

Welcome to GT, Amy and Flynn. :wave We're in NE Ohio. Occasionally I help out with GURs to your side of the state. :) Flynn is a very handsome fella! :wub: Love the pic with the big paw. :lol

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Guest BuckeyeAmy

Wow, your Flynn is so handsome! He really does look like my Petey. I doubled checked my grey's sire and dam just to be sure, no such luck on them being siblings. I loved reading your story, as I can relate to this "getting-to-know-you" phase. It's great watching them come out of their shell. Pete never even wagged his tail when I first got him, and now when I get home from work...he practically dances he's so darn excited.

LOVE the one with the Santa hat, too!

Oh I can relate with the wagging tail thing. I think Flynn didn't realize he was here to stay, like this was just another stop to the next track. It didn't take him long to realize that this time things were different and then the tail wagging started. Now he practically puts dents in the door frame when I get home from work! ;)

Welcome to GT, Amy and Flynn. :wave We're in NE Ohio. Occasionally I help out with GURs to your side of the state. :) Flynn is a very handsome fella! :wub: Love the pic with the big paw. :lol

I would really love to help out with the group I adopted from, but they are 2 hours away. I am still open to finding ways to get involved with helping these wonderful dogs find their forever homes. Maybe some day the opportunity will present itself. Thanks for the nice welcome! :)

Welcome Amy & handsome Flynn....from a little south, down in central Ohio!

Thanks very much! :)

Guest PhillyPups

:wave Welcome to GT and the wonderful world of greyhounds Amy and handsome Flynn.

I found myself immediately falling under the greyhound spell with my first greyhound years ago. Somehow your wiritng your introduction reminded me of that experience. Now I can't picture life without a few greyhounds in my home. :lol

Hi Amy and Flynn,

My name is Jane. I live with a greyhound, Joe and a "whipador", Shelby. I foster for Team Greyhound Adoption of Ohio in the Columbus Area. Team Greyhound is also active in Toledo. So if that is more convenient to you than Cleveland, I'm sure our Toledo people would love some help. Here is a website:

Team Greyhound

Or you can just contact me at Email me

Welcome to GreyTalk! Your boy is very handsome.

Jane

Hi Amy,

You can see Gutter Guy's races from Daytona.

Go to his GD page and look at the dates he ran. As you look across the top you will see where it says "Trap." That is the box he is in. If you look a little more to the right it will say "Fin" which is where he finished in the race.

Now click on the date. As you read across the top you will see, on his Aug 17th race, Daytona Beach 17 Aug 2011 HT E2. The E2 means evening card race 2.

So you have the date, take note of the box he is in and evening card race 2.

Now go here and by clicking PREV you can go back to the month and year he ran. Now click on the day he ran. Then click "All" and designate evening or matinee, on the GD page it will br A for afternoon, click the day of the month he ran and watch the race. Remember what box he is in.

Dick

Guest shanesmom

That's where I got Flynn from! I chose them because they had a lot of dogs and I wanted to meet as many as I could. There is a local group here (North Coast Greyhound Connection) but they don't have more than 7 or 8 at a time it seems. I would love to get together with other Greyhound owners. I think Flynn is not that crazy about other breeds. He had a bad experience meeting my cousin's heeler and my mom's tiny Yorkie doesn't seem to speak the same language!

When did you adopt Ace?

I adopted Ace in August. His racing name is Cragie MacDaid. I totally agree that it's a real nice experience to adopt from GAO since there are so many dogs to choose from. I adopted my Elton from them too. North Coast Greyhound Adoption is a wonderful group too but they are further away from me and I too liked having a larger selection to choose from. It is a huge, long term commitment and since I can only have one greyhound in my condo, I wanted to make sure it was one that I felt I could have a wonderful relationship with. I had my mind set though that this time I would bring a little girl home but Linda really wanted me to meet and walk Ace and then that was it. I just had to take home another big boy. She really knows the dogs there.

If you contact the Audio-Video department at Southland, they may still have tapes of your boy. They are really cool and if they have them they will send you copies of them.

Welcome to GT btw!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee