Glider Just Always Seems So Sad...

Guest ashphobiax

Guest ashphobiax

only had him a month, and nothing seems to excite him could it be that he just hasnt had time to come out of his bubble? he slowly has...but just wondering :blush

Many of them have an extremely quiet nature...others are simply reserved for a few months....

Don't mistake that for unhappiness. He may be unsure given that he is in a whole new world....but he will get through that. If he is not displaying any anxiety behavior, then it simply may be his personality - or that he is still adjusting.

It is also easy to mistake those warm soulful expressions for sadness until you get to know them.

If he is a bit unsure, don't worry. My Jack when I got him would not leave the kitchen for several nights....he was extremely unsure and scared....I slept on the floor with him for a few nights and he gradually came out of his shell....

Our EZ has always been quiet and serious....my JJ and Dustin are both playful. Each hound is unique....but quiet and reserved is not the same as sad.....Just give him love and affection - and he will be a happy hound...quiet or otherwise!

Good luck and keep us posted.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest ashphobiax

thanks everyone! he has come out of his little funk over this past month he gets really excited when i wake up and when i come home (hes a mama's boy :P) which he never did before and i know he is healthy and all ive had him checked out hes just a laid back boy i guess! guess we will see over time!

thanks everyone! he has come out of his little funk over this past month he gets really excited when i wake up and when i come home (hes a mama's boy :P) which he never did before and i know he is healthy and all ive had him checked out hes just a laid back boy i guess! guess we will see over time!

That's awesome....he's bonding with you...no better feeling in the world!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest FawnFan

I agree with the others. My first female always seemed so sad. She hardly smiled. She didn't play with toys. And the only time she seemed to be excited was for meals and to go outside.

Then after about a year, she slowly started to come out of her shell. She was my 'closet' stuffie slayer...she would only play when no one was watching. And if I turned around and found her playing she would immediately stop. She also started smiling lots too. She has been our only hound who actually smiled at us (looked like she was showing her teeth in a growl.) Unfortunately we didn't get a good picture of her toothy "smiles" before she passed last year.

It seemed like it took forever for her to come out of her shell. She did eventually and was quite the little ball of energy for the last year and a half of her short life. So be patient, stay consistent and eventually their personality will show through.

Good luck ~ Jean

P.S. Here are two pictures of our angel girl Racey. The first pic is one of her best when she was very happy. The other is what she looked like most of the time. :)

DSC01052-1.jpg

Racey-bed.jpg

I think part of my fascination with Greyhounds is watching them evolve in their retirement. They are works in progress. You have to remember that their lives at the track were very different than their lives as part of a family, and much of what we take for granted is very new and sometimes puzzling or scary to them. We foster a lot, and if a foster dog is here any length of time, I consider it an accomplishment if their tails are wagging happily before they leave. If I see them pick out a stuffie and throw it into the air, squeaking it joyfully, my heart melts. When this happens, I know they are on their ways to feeling more comfortable in our home, and it's so satisfying to know that I've helped bring about this change.

Though their personalities are all so different, I think, in general, that they are less exuberant than some breeds. While a Golden Retriever, for instance, may be consistently overjoyed to see just about anyone, I've seldom seen a Greyhound react that way. Well, Lydia, but I don't consider her typical. When we first got her as a foster dog, we had to work to keep her from putting her feet on the shoulders of everyone she met! Now her enthusiasm is mostly leaning into some lucky person while looking adoringly into their eyes. :lol

Don't worry about Glider being sad. Just remember that in the larger scheme of things, these initial months are just a small part of a very meaningful time together.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

I thought the same thing when I brought Carl home. Your new boy is just learning how to "be" in a different environment. All he knew from day to day has changed forever and he needs to learn about how to be in his new life. He will peel open slowly like a flower from bud to blossom. I've had Carl for 4 years now and not a week goes by that he doesn't somehow learn something new, open up even more or have a new trick up his sleeve. I've had dogs most of my life, but nothing prepared me for how different it is to live with an ex-racing greyhound. It's pretty cool and you'll learn a lot along the way.

Congratulations on your boy, you have a lot to look forward to and share with us here!

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014