Won't Potty While Wearing Her Sweater

Guest mstiggsy

Guest mstiggsy

Hello all,

We adopted Zinny in August and she is doing fine. However, if I put on her sweater and take her out she will not potty. It is cold here in Ohio and will get much colder, and I am not sure what else to do. We walk and walk and I encourage her to go, but she just won't. If she wears her sweater in the house she becomes very calm and will usually go to sleep. Is this coming from some training she received at the track, or is she just being Zinny? :-) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Terri and Zinny :rolleyes:

She's never worn clothes before so it's new to her. Take her out long enough to go potty without the sweater and then if you want to go for a long walk you can put her sweater on. Mine go out and play in the snow without coats or sweaters. If she's not shivering from the cold she should be fine.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FawnFan

We had this problem with our first greyhound. We adopted him in early December so we got him a coat beforehand. For the first 24 hours, he didn't do his business at all. Each time we went out he had his coat on. Then one time we came in, took the coat off and he turned around and wanted back out. We took him out without the coat and he must have peed for 3 or 4 minutes straight. From that point on, we took the coat with us to put on after he peed. Eventually he figured out he could pee with the coat on. :)

The next time we went to the Vet we asked about it. The vet told us greyhounds are taught not to do their business when they have their racing silks on. He thought his coat was a racing silk and knew he wasn't supposed to go. Poor boy.

Give her some time and hopefully she'll figure it out soon. If it's really cold out and you're walking longer than 5-10 minutes, I'd take the coat with me and put it on after she's done doing her thing.

Good luck!

- Jean

Dogs on the track wearing their racing silks will use the bathroom. They're not taught not to go in them. People betting at the track always joke that the pup who poops on the track before a race will win. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Dustin won't go if the harness or the coat are on. He will pee...but that is IT!!!! So I walk him with it on and then when we get back to the yard (which is where he poops no matter how long of a walk we go on), I take any coats or harnesses off him. Let me tell you, when it's real cold, he's pretty quick to do the deed!:rolleyes:

Edited by mychip1

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I've heard the "poop in the racing silks" thing but I've never seen it happen, :lol . Lighten the load, huh? I know for a fact, though, that they will pee in their silks because the winner has to provide a pee sample and the silk is still on. Been there, seen it.

If she's just going on a potty trip, I wouldn't bother dressing her. You didn't specify if you are walking for exercise or if you live in a condo and this is how she has to potty? If you have a backyard, I'd leave her naked and let her go for it. But if you have to leash walk for potty, I second the other suggestions of only putting her sweater on after she goes.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Putting the sweater on after she potties is a good idea.

Another thing that has worked for me is to fold the sweater under (or over) so that it is more like a jacket than a coat (if that makes sense). I've had several fosters who didn't like to potty while wearing a coat, and this worked great for them. Interestingly, it was only boy fosters who had this aversion, none of the girls; however, I've never had a girl leg-lifter either, and I know there are some out there! :lol

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

I'd say take off the sweater. I live in northern PA, and when I got my first grey thought he had to be bundled in the winter. I learned that if you're going for extended exercise walks, coats are fine. I also learned that for "potty breaks" coats are not necessary. The dogs can adapt to the climate, as long as you don't extend it too far.

For long exercise walks - use the coat. For bathroom, don't. It'll save you a LOT of headache. BTW - it's NOT that cold yet. I wouldn't even consider using the coat for exercise walks until the temp is below freezing.

These dogs are far tougher than you think. If they shiver - they're cold. Ohio is NOT the arctic. :blush

Edited by sobesmom

Guest karilynn

I go outside for potty breaks with Bruce without a coat or sweater on. We are out there for at least 1 minute tops, so I think he's fine... and I live in Minnesota. And youbetcha it is cold up in these here parts :blush

Edit: he doesn't have a coat or sweater on. I do... I am fully clothed. LOL

Edited by karilynn

The next time we went to the Vet we asked about it. The vet told us greyhounds are taught not to do their business when they have their racing silks on. He thought his coat was a racing silk and knew he wasn't supposed to go. Poor boy.

What?? :lol

Tell that to Thurles...

ktsthurles-4.jpg

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

My eyes! :lol :lol :lol

Most of mine have not liked to potty while wearing a coat or sweater that covers any part of their butt. It seems to be sort of like pottying in the rain: "There's something falling on my butt! Aiiiiiiiieeeeeeeeeeeeee!" I have had one dog for whom I could just flip up the back half of the coat until potty occurred, then flip it back down again and go on our way.

For quick potty breaks in the well-below-zero weather, Joseph wears a sweater vest -- kinda like a racing best but a bit more shoulder coverage -- and furry Gidget goes naked. We have a fenced yard for potty so no walks in the extra-cold weather; I reserve the longer, heavier coats for trips in the non-preheated car on those below zero days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Annie Bella won't pee in her rain coat because it goes too far down on her butt. If I fold it up, she'll squat but then I have to hold it so, Goddess forbid, it doesn't touch the top of her tail! (I don't often use this; just when it's pouring cats and dogs... :lol .. and we're on our mile-long walk). Her mildly-cold jacket (used when it's below freezing but not wicked cold) stops just above her tail so she has no problem with it. Her winter coat (for when it's single-digit temps or higher temp with a wind chill out of the north) goes way down on her butt, and I expect I'll cut something out of it so she doesn't feel anything on her tail/butt.

It's been a mild Autumn around here, but Annie shivers in the early morning (5 AM) at her first P&P if the temp is 30 or below. It's an incentive not to linger for which I'll be grateful in mid-January when it's 10 below zero.

Guest mstiggsy

Hello all,

We adopted Zinny in August and she is doing fine. However, if I put on her sweater and take her out she will not potty. It is cold here in Ohio and will get much colder, and I am not sure what else to do. We walk and walk and I encourage her to go, but she just won't. If she wears her sweater in the house she becomes very calm and will usually go to sleep. Is this coming from some training she received at the track, or is she just being Zinny? :-) Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Terri and Zinny :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the comments. We will keep working on the sweater issue. It makes me feel better knowing she is OK without it for short periods of time. This is our first grey and we want to do what is best for her. :colgate

I'd be a little concerned that my vet was clearly ignorant of Greyhounds. There are things about they he needs to know to effectively care for them.

Many Greyhounds are born and raised in the mid-west where it gets good and cold. Many of them live outside, with communal dog houses (no doubt filled with straw or some other material). They do just fine.

It's only after they're adopted that they're treated like hothouse flowers!

My dog has TONS of coats, etc. However, not even once has he appeared to be cold, no matter what the weather. I put the coats on him, but I don't think he cares one way or the other. Your girl is not going to perish even in the dead of winter going out for a potty break without a coat. colgate.gif She'll adjust, but for now, don't stress about it.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest snowmo18

My boy loves wearing his PJs outside and if I am in a rush (or I am cold from standing outside waiting) I will leave them off because most often he will take his time...trying to eat grass, sniffing the wind, etc...so I guess I consider it bribbery...you go potty faster and then we can get him back in the warm house.