What To Do...

Guest mcsheltie

Guest mcsheltie

I have seen a couple threads recently about dogs eating bone shards and other sharp objects. Thought this might be useful.

THE PROCEDURE

Before the holiday go to a pharmacy and buy a box of cotton balls. Be sure that you get cotton balls not the "cosmetic puffs" that are made from man-made fibers. Also, buy a quart of half-and-half coffee cream and put it in the freezer. Should your dog eat glass ornaments or anything sharp, defrost the half-and-half and pour some in a bowl. Dip cotton balls into the cream and feed them to your dog.

Dogs under 10 lbs should eat 2 balls, which you have first torn into smaller pieces. Dogs 10-50 lbs-should eat 3-5 balls, and larger dogs should eat 5-7. You may feed larger dogs an entire cotton ball at once.

Dogs seem to really like these strange "treats' and eat them readily. As the cotton works its way through the digestive tract it will find all the glass or sharp pieces and wrap itself around them. Even the teeniest shards of glass will be caught and wrapped in the cotton fibers and the cotton will protect the intestines from damage by the glass. Your dog's

stools will be really weird for a few days and you will have to check carefully for fresh blood or a tarry appearance to the stool. If either of the latter symptoms appear you should rush your dog to the vet for a checkup.

An actual experience: I can personally vouch for the cotton ball treatment. While I was at the vet waiting for him to return from lunch a terrified woman ran in with a litter of puppies who had demolished a wooden crate along with large open staples. The young vet had taken x-rays, which did show each of the puppies had swallowed several open staples. He was

preparing them for surgery when my wonderful vet came in and said no surgery. I watched him wet several cotton bails, squeeze out the water and pop them down their throats. Within 24 hours every staple was accounted for. This was a lesson I learned in the mid-1970s and have had to use several times. I wet the cotton bails and smear on some liverwurst and they bolt it down and ask for more. The cotton comes out with the object safely embedded.

Edited by mcsheltie

I've also heard in a pinch, white bread will help. Thankfully I've never had to try it.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest mcsheltie

I've been told bread too. But bread digests. I feed it as treats periodically and it never comes out in a form that could wrap around something sharp!

Brilliant! (I would still be watching my dogs like a hawk in case this is needed, but I am a worrier.) Saving just in case here, and passing along to some retriever owners I know who dogs are a bit more likely to eat anything.

ETA: I meant to say Thank you!

Edited by Vers

I would not recommend this. Cotton is something common that CAUSES obstruction. While some dogs may pass cotton balls, feeding several of these would be very dangerous in my opinion. In the event your dog swallows something sharp, I would contact your vet for advice. Bread is something recommended by the ASPCA poison control, while cotton balls are not. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

I would not recommend this. Cotton is something common that CAUSES obstruction. While some dogs may pass cotton balls, feeding several of these would be very dangerous in my opinion. In the event your dog swallows something sharp, I would contact your vet for advice. Bread is something recommended by the ASPCA poison control, while cotton balls are not. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.

I have to agree with this.

Our last Dobe was a 'chewer'...especially cotton items...towels, blankets, stuffing, etc.

We were as vigilant as any two normal humans could be, but she was hospitalized twice in her life...both times with fibre obstructions.

First time it passed on it's own after 3 days on IV fluids.

The second time she did not survive....the impaction was not moving at all after 24 hours, and surgery was not an option with her extreme VWD.

I think I'll be asking my vet her opinion on the cotton ball 'trick'.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

Feeding five cotton balls torn up into pieces is a little different than eating a towel or a blanket and it is less material than a toe of a sock. This has been used for decades.

Guest BrianRke

Feeding five cotton balls torn up into pieces is a little different than eating a towel or a blanket and it is less material than a toe of a sock. This has been used for decades.

Small cotton balls will pass thru just fine, the only way they wont is if your dog ALREADY has an obstruction.

I grew up with a standard poodle. Whenever the vet took blood he wet a cotton ball in something and sterilized the area, put down the cotton ball and took the blood. He would then go back to the cotton ball to throw it out and every. singe. time. the dog had eaten the cotton ball. My vet was never concerned about it. In fact Bu almost did that once, but we caught him in the act and I mentioned the poodle to my vet who remembered and laughed at the memory. Sailor used to eat the stuffing (that another dog pulled out) from stuffies. His poop came out a little fluffy feeling, but he was never the worse for wear. I can see this trick being totally healthy. Thanks for the tip.