Limping...

Guest Dana

A little over a year ago I joined this group, my first greyhound John had just been diagnosed with osteosarcoma of his right hind leg. John lived only 3 weeks after his diagnosis. He passed away after surgery for amputation of that leg. I was, as I am sure any of you who have experienced this would be, utterly devastated. I have only recently been able to speak about him without crying...

Some people may disagree, but I decided to adopt immediatley after John's death. I loved him so much that my family (husband and son) needed another grey to love. I adopted two. One 5, one 3 years old. We love them both dearly.

At the beginning of November, the older one, Monster, developed a limp. It is his hind left leg. I took him to the vet, she did xrays and they showed nothing. I left with pain meds and instructions to come back if he didn't get any better. He did seem to lose the limp for a while, when pain meds ran out, his limp returned. I took him back today. She examined his leg and found that he really yiped when she pushed in on his femur. She sedated him and took many xrays...the xrays show nothing, just a very normal looking left leg bone. She is still concerned about the limp as well as the pain and is having a radiologist look at his xrays. She said an MRI might be in order. She said it's possible that it is in such early stages that osteo is not showing on an xray. Needless to say, I am sick. If not osteo, what else could this be?

Do any of you have experience of limping that turned out to be something not as scary as osteosarcoma? If so, what else could this be? Thanks in advance, I know this was long. ~~Dana

:grouphug

Passion was limping the summer before last. I was sure it was osteo. Turned out to be a bone infection in her toe.

Send the xrays to OSU.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Dana, I remember you and John very well. If I recall correctly, you buried him outside your window. Yes, limping can be caused by many factors, not just Osteo. I would though third the opinion you get your vet or yourself to overnight the x-rays or e-mail them to OSU ASAP. They are a good second/third opinion and hopefully can rule out Osteo but they may pickup on something else as well. You could be dealing with an old injury, a back/spine issue, bone infection, bone fracture not easily seen on an x-ray, etc.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Definitely check the toes. My senior had been limping since August and we finally figure out there was a mass (benign) between two of his toes. He also winced and yelped when they did other manipulations. If they start walking differently to compensate for pain in a location and therefore may get sore in areas where there is no problem.

Did you check for corns??? I know you mentioned that he yelped when his leg was palpated but, one has to wonder if you would get the same response if the other leg was palpated too-- our guys are not the most stoic critters.

It sure wouldn't hurt to have the rads sent to OSU.

Dana, I remember you and John very well. If I recall correctly, you buried him outside your window. Yes, limping can be caused by many factors, not just Osteo. I would though third the opinion you get your vet or yourself to overnight the x-rays or e-mail them to OSU ASAP. They are a good second/third opinion and hopefully can rule out Osteo but they may pickup on something else as well. You could be dealing with an old injury, a back/spine issue, bone infection, bone fracture not easily seen on an x-ray, etc.

I remember you too. I knew who you were as soon as I saw the name. Thank you for your response. I think just about every response that I got said to send to OSU. I will get on that first thing tomorrow. I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thank you so much for your kindness and concern.

Thanks everybody for your advice, my mind tends to think the worst, especially after having gone through osteo once before. I will take the suggestions of all and send his xrays to OSU.

Could be lots of things, a few months back Karma started limping, I took her in for x-rays, they showed nothing, turns out she had injured her achilles heel, she needed rest, no jumping or running for a few weeks, it's all better now. Karma is 10, so yes, I freaked out for a bit, but she is fine now. My vet had an orthopedic surgeon come in for a second opinion......hope it's nothing...we almost had surgery done on Karma for a luxating patella, which is what my vet suspected first, the OS changed her mind after pointing out how rare that is in Greys.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)