Looking For A Corn Vet In New England.

Poor Emmet has big deep corns on three of his four feet and they are BAD! We've tried everything but they keep growing back. We used to take him to a vet in Sutton, MA, who hulled them out regularly and there was some improvement. She closed her practice and now we're looking for a vet experienced with corn management. We live in Western MA but we'd travel. Emmet can barely walk. Any ideas?

I have two corn dogs so I totally feel your pain. Dr. Fallon at Millbrook Animal clinic in Arlington, ma hulls my guys corns. He may not be taking new patients but if he is make sure you ask for him as I'm not sure the other vet there does hullings. 781-643-1500.

I'm in western MA, too. You might want to post your question on the Greyhound Options page on Facebook. Lots of grey owners in our area on there and I know at least a few greys around here have corns. Hopefully someone there will be able to help.

ETA: Here is the link to the Greyhound Options Facebook page :)

Edited by Meandmy

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

If you can't find a vet who is already experienced with hulling, see if your vet is willing to learn how to do it. Here are a couple resources that might help. A

by Dr. Feeman (author of the Greyhound Health Packet) and the Grassmere article on corns.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Good advice from Jennifer above. My vet had never seen a corn prior to Zema's, but I took him the article, he tried it, and was elated that "It worked just like they said!"

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Thanks everyone. I actually did give the Grassmere article to my local vet a couple of years ago and she hulled them two different times while he was having dentals. Both times he seems to be better for a day or so (maybe the pain meds from the dentals?) and worse later. That's when we found the vet in Sutton through Greyhound Friends.

I appreciate the lead on the Arlington vet and will follow up with him. Again, thanks.

FYI -- I talked to my vet and she will try the corn hulling procedure on Larry in December. She is located in Dedham about 1/2 mile from Route 128.

Will let you know how it turns out

Mary Jane, I used to go to Dedham Veterinary Clinic. They're great. They are partnered with a speciality practice, and the surgeon (Dr. Briere) did her surgical residency in Jacksonville at the same clinic many of the injured racers go to. And she owns Greyhounds!

Everyone there is terrific.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

• 2 weeks later...

FYI -- I talked to my vet and she will try the corn hulling procedure on Larry in December. She is located in Dedham about 1/2 mile from Route 128.

Will let you know how it turns out

My vet did the corn hulling today on Larry and it was a success! So if anyone is looking for a vet that can do it -- PM me.

Hi again. My husband took Emmet to Dr. Fallon in Arlington yesterday for corn treatment. First, Dr. Fallon clipped the big ones that were growing sideways, then he worked on the others with variety of tools. Emmet tolerated the whole thing very well--it took about 45 minutes. He came home with three days worth of Previcox, for inflammation and pain.

The vet told my husband that we might be coming back in two weeks, two months, or never, depending whether the corns continued to bother him. Further treatment suggestions were duct tape and soaking with Epsom salts. Dr. Fallon said he had had some success with surgery on other greyhounds to remove corns from the pads. He also suggested we massage Emmet's shoulder muscles.

We'll see how it goes. Emmet does seem less quivery and tentative as he is walking and standing. I'm hopeful.

Thanks, Fasave, for the great tip. :)

Yeah :D . Glad it worked out. He always told me the same thing about surgery but I'm not convinced. Then again, I was able to manage the corns well enough that I never felt it was necessary. The key for me was management with periodic hullings, duct tape, filing and Thera paws on walks. Keep us updated.

Edited by Fasave