Otc Pain Meds?

Guest neverminding

Guest neverminding

Hi. Our grey, Fiona, had a serious accident in the backyard ending up in two deep puncture wounds on her front left shoulder and rear left knee. The emergency vet hospital stitched her up and gave us antibiotics but no pain meds.

She hasn't moved in hours and alternates shaking and whimpering. The wounds continue to bleed a little, but I'm assuming that's normal with the depth of the wounds.

I would really like for her to relax enough to sleep tonight so I can ask our local vet for some kind of pain medication tomorrow. In the meantime, is there anything over the counter that is safe for greys I can give her?

Any information would be appreciated.

Ron, Elsa & Fiona.

I would call the evet and tell them she's in pain and ask them to give you something for her.

They should give you something since they treated her.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest madredhare

You'd do better to go to an emergency vet and get doggie meds. I'm sorry. I know that's not the answer you're looking for.

Agree, shaking and whimpering are signs that my dogs have given me when they have been in pain.

I would call the evet and tell them she's in pain and ask them to give you something for her.

Ditto.

Many people meds aren't safe for dogs, and which ones might be safe depend on what she was already given at the evet.

Hugs and hopes for quick healing.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would do this. You can give them baby aspirin, but in your case, I think a stronger anti-inflammatory is going to be your best bet.

Also - I always ask for pain meds even if the vet doesn't give them out initially. Better to have them on hand then to realize later they're needed. I know this doesn't help you now, but I've been in your shoes and I vowed to never not ask again because of it!

Good luck.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I honestly would not give aspirin. If the evet gave her an anti-inflammatory injection, aspirin could be contraindicated, and it would really narrow your choices as to what pain meds you could use in the coming days.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Agree...Don't give asprin. It can thin the blood.

Your best bet is to go back to the vet and ask for something. I'm surprised they did not send her home with at least some Medicam.

I keep Traumeel cream and tablets on hand here. It is a homeopathic medication that my vet recommneds. I've used on both the dogs and horses with great success.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Traumeel+Tablets-prod10795.html

Your girl sounds like she's in quite a bit of pain and probably needs something stronger than that, but as a general anti-inflammatory, it is wonderful.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest neverminding

Thanks everyone! We're going to wait it out until tomorrow. I thought I had some tablets left over from a previous visit, but I didn't and I'd rather not risk it. We called the hospital and they adamantly said not to use aspirin as it can be toxic.

We just had to carry her outside to pee, but she managed to hobble her way back in and to her bed on her own. Took awhile, but I'm proud of her =)

Guest BrianRke

Hope she is feeling better this morning. I would be upset with the e-vet and would have demaded they give her something for pain assuming they didnt give her anything IV or a shot.

Guest neverminding

She's a bit more alert today and even walked around on her own. Our vet gave us a hefty supply of Rimadyl and that seems to help her out tons.

fiona.jpg

Agree...Don't give asprin. It can thin the blood.

Your best bet is to go back to the vet and ask for something. I'm surprised they did not send her home with at least some Medicam.

I keep Traumeel cream and tablets on hand here. It is a homeopathic medication that my vet recommneds. I've used on both the dogs and horses with great success.

http://www.1800petme...-prod10795.html

Your girl sounds like she's in quite a bit of pain and probably needs something stronger than that, but as a general anti-inflammatory, it is wonderful.

Thats what I was thinking. Traumeel, arnica, even some Rescue Remedy to help her energy. I keep them on hand & I have found them to be very effective on most dogs-would surely get you through till the vet opened for something stronger. AGREE with NO ASPIRIN- it will limit your options too much and can start new issues with the stomach etc. (Also Traumeel drops helped ME a lot with dental pain so I have persona experience w/ it. It was amazingly effective.).

Edited by racindog