Anal Fissure

Dylan has trouble every year at allergy time with his anal glands. Last year his right rear ruptured and this year, it became infected and bloody. We are still dealing with a small amount of oozing blood. He has had 3 rectal exams by 3 different vets. They all say there is nothing abnormal that they feel. I think from all the fingers "up there" he has a small tear that won't heal. At night when he sleeps, it oozes out and he has dried blood on his butt in the morning. It never leaks on his bed or anything, but it is starting to worry me. The vet assures me they are hard to heal since everytime they have a bowel movement, it opens up. Has anyone dealt with a hard to heal butt?

My CoCo had an anal fistula. IIRC, we had it surgically repaired once. In her case, it appeared to have been related to Degenerative Myelopathy.

For healing, we had a powdered anesthetic/antibiotic in a little squeeze bottle--here it is: ttp://www.drugs.com/vet/neo-predef-with-tetracaine-powder.html

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

I'm not familiar with anal fissures in dogs but worked for a colorectal surgeon for many years and agree that they're extremely difficult to heal and tend to recur. They can also be extremely painful so I'm glad that Dylan is acting normally. The only advice I would give is to make sure his stools remain soft. The larger and harder stool the stool is and the more straining he does then the longer it'll take to heal on its own. I know that in humans a Botox injection could be used but was proven to be not very successful so patients ultimatemately ended up having a fissurectomy.

Good luck and please keep us posted! :)

Edited by kelseysmom

Chris, with Bixby (aka Clive Bixby, fka Taplin's Bull) and the feline buggle brothers, Oliver and Salem.

Kelsey (Watch the Kick), forever in my heart.