Very Shy, Skiddish Boy..

Guest Psycmeistr

Beautiful boys....good luck with them...so glad they have each other....sounds like Conan is just what Chesney needed!

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Just to add my two cents: when I first got Katie, she was painfully shy. And noise-phobic, which adds layers of difficulties to the problem. (Visual triggers are easier to set up and predict. Noises come out of nowhere and are hard to put on cue.) She wouldn't voluntarily leave her crate, had to be coaxed everywhere by fractions of inches, and had to be physically carried outside for potty breaks. I will just repeat what everyone else has said: slow and patient work will probably bring your boy around. It worked for Katie, but I eventually got to a place where our progress stalled, and have had her on medicines (Elavil and Xanax) to help with the issue. They have made a huge difference in her ability to cope with life. To see how far she's come, go take a look at the "Katie's favorite game" thread. That should give you some hope for what your Chesney can wind up doing.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Chesney sounds similar to my Hoover. So... I'll tell a bit about him and maybe some things be helpful.

Hoover was meant to be a temporary foster; I had Minty at home; (had 2 previous greys that had passed), and Hoover's career was cut short with a racing injury that required surgery. When I picked him up he came "home" post op his activity was restricted. Keep in mind my house is basically adult female only. We did notice bringing him for vet checks that he was fine with his surgeon, (male) but froze if he saw any other person.

At home, he was fine with both my DD and I..but going outside into the fenced yard,(leashed)he'd want to bolt back inside if a neighbor came outside..or if helicopter went overhead, etc. What made it odder; was that the one thing that seemed to fascinate him was the man that would plow snow in our driveway. If we were outside he'd actually wag his tail while we stood there..watching that truck go back and forth.. Hoover's ears perked up..his tail would wag; his nose as close to the fence as he could get it..like he was reliving a happy moment.

Meanwhile, Minty had apparently forgiven him for all the times he stepped on her with his cast. He was still sleeping in his crate at that point. He'd often wake at night whimpering.. til the one I night I heard him and was just soo tired.. that I closed my eyes for a "moment" and woke up 5 hours later. Him quiet..and Minty missing from my bed. I found her sleeping next to his crate, their backs against other. From then on she became "big sis" and I knew that he found his forever home.

BUT... so many fears to overcome! When he'd finally healed and we'd graduated from leash walks in the yard and driveway we ventured to the road for the first time. We made it past the first house and.. Terror! A man said "hello". Hoover freaked.. just froze.. then started to back up into the road..thankfully I had him on a harness with a double leash that connected also to his collar.. then he howled.. and then cried. (I wanted to also!) I kept thinking..(calm..think calm!) and then Minty leaned up against him and put her head over his shoulders.. when I could just see him relax. I got him up onto my neighbor's lawn and was able to cut thru back to my house. But.. I couldn't let him give in to his fears..so when I could my DD and I would go together.. and later.. Hoover took a liking to my neighbor's dogs. He didn't even so much as really notice their "mom" at first since he was so excited to walk with them.

All along it's been "baby steps". It'll be 2 years on Thanksgiving that he "came home" and he's come a long way. He's still terrified of children.. and he's slow to warm up to most women.. men; he's still very hesitant of. But he'll walk past them; (sometimes instinctively Minty will position herself between Hoover and "the stranger".. but he's getting braver. Warm weather he wants to lay out on the porch or in the yard as much as I'll let him. Brave enough have gone to Gettysburg and Dewey.

I've found it take infinite patience... and remaining calm. And sometimes the best thing is making sure that he has his "safe place".... like if we're traveling he also has his familiar bed.. or that we can always leave or if the weather is doable .. he feels safe going back to my 4x4 and watching the world from the inside looking out. His vet..(who incidently, he adores), has him on melatonin plus a couple of other homeopathic products that have helped..(we've been the valium, benedryl, rescue remedy, etc.. route that didn't work at all). I had a builder in my home for a few months that so far has been the only man that Hoover's accepted fully. Each day he'd say nothing more to him than.. "morning, my friend," while giving Minty lots of ear scitches. The man never raised his voice or approached Hoover. Yet by the third week, if I wasn't home woud Hoover happily walk past him..(not the scurry.. fly past the scary person scamper he used to do) if Bill called out.. "Minty? do you have go potty?" By 6th week Hoover was laying his head on Bill's lap getting his share of ear scritches. And no.. the man has never had a dog!

We do have a thunder/anxiety shirt which works.. sometimes. So far I'm 50/50 on it. He'll never be a "meet n greet" dog.. but I try to get him out and about as much as he can handle. It does seem he progresses a little more each time. But he's also the sweetest, cuddly, playful hound! And the rewards of seeing each little step forward in building his confidence is so gratifying. And the trust between him and his "big sis"? Priceless!

Guest KennelMom

You've gotten some great advice. Give him time and don't force the issue. His behavior doesn't suggest abuse, it suggests that he is a more sensitive dog who is having trouble dealing with the loss of anything predictable or secure about his life or environment.

:nod

Had plenty of shy, spooky, undersocialized and insecure dogs here...they usually just need time, space and routine. And none of these things necessarily indicate abuse or neglect...sometimes it's just their personality and/or a genetic family trait.

I also agree that your dog is at a really good weight in that picture. Don't fatten him up, please!

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Psycmeistr

To all here who have had these special needs hounds, I salute you-- You've done some great things (at times with the help of some sensitive fur-siblings) :o)

Chesney is actually starting to already come around a bit.. before I left this morning, I had petted Conan, and Chesney came up, ever so slow next to Conan, and allowed me to pet his head. That was huge progress from a couple of days ago.

As far as the weight thing, Chesney was skinnier than in the photo--his head appeared and felt to be downright skeletal--

He's been eating a bit now, so I'm not so worried-

Thanks again for all your input--very much appreciated!

Guest greyers

Chesney is actually starting to already come around a bit.. before I left this morning, I had petted Conan, and Chesney came up, ever so slow next to Conan, and allowed me to pet his head. That was huge progress from a couple of days ago.

:yay

That is wonderful! It took my first spook, Petey, 2 years in our home to do that to my husband! Chesney will settle in nicely :D

Edited by greyers

To all here who have had these special needs hounds, I salute you-- You've done some great things (at times with the help of some sensitive fur-siblings) :o)

As far as the weight thing, Chesney was skinnier than in the photo--his head appeared and felt to be downright skeletal--

He's been eating a bit now, so I'm not so worried-

Thanks again for all your input--very much appreciated!

I have a very shy girl, almost considered a spook. I've had her for almost three years and she has come around but is not the affectionate dog that my others are. She runs if I try to take a picture, she absolutely hates if I sit on the couch and she is there, she will immediatley leave the room, she hates crowds and shakes like a leaf if made to endure it. That tail of hers can almost lay flat on her stomach when she is really nervous. I had to come to terms with myself and realize that she doesn't have to be the outgoing dog that my others are. That she is who she is and we just let her be. I love her but she is one dog who you truly earn affection from. Her best friend in the entire house is our lab. What is really funny about this dog, her brother (same parentage but two separate breedings) raised at the same farm, was the complete opposite of her. He was confident and funny, sweet and loving. He never met a stranger in his life.

I wanted to also just give you a small piece of advice someone gave me a long time ago. With shy dogs I don't pet their heads, imagine if someone came at you with a large hand and patted your head. It's a bit obtrusive and scares some dogs. I always go for petting them under their chins. This is less obtrusive and Chesney may be more apt to come to you more often. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Leo,

I just saw the race name of your boy. I can pretty much guarantee you that your hound was not abused. I know his owner personally, and have been to his farm. His owner is a very good guy. In fact, I have one of his hounds, as well as the owner does donate money to a group here locally that takes his broken leg hounds and fixes them. I would be willing to say that his behavior will change dramatically as the months progress. "Boc" hounds tend to be very well socialized and overall great hounds because of their upbringing. Just FYI...

Chad

For those of us dealing with spooks, there is a yahoo group shy-k9s that is helpful. It's intended for people with shy dogs, who are committed to positive-reinforcement training methods only. It's sometimes nice to be able to talk to other people who have gone through similar situations, and can provide helpful tips or just a word of encouragement.

And I second the "it doesn't really matter why they are scared" group. Whether they were abused, or it's just their genetics, it doesn't really alter the situation. Your goal is to get them as comfortable as you can, and the steps you take to do that have a lot more to do with what's happening to the dog today than they do with what happened in the past.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest Psycmeistr

Leo,

I just saw the race name of your boy. I can pretty much guarantee you that your hound was not abused. I know his owner personally, and have been to his farm. His owner is a very good guy. In fact, I have one of his hounds, as well as the owner does donate money to a group here locally that takes his broken leg hounds and fixes them. I would be willing to say that his behavior will change dramatically as the months progress. "Boc" hounds tend to be very well socialized and overall great hounds because of their upbringing. Just FYI...

Chad

Thanks Chad-- I very much appreciate that information

My Peggy was just like that but Turid Rugass's Calming Signals helped so much.

See the article in the link here:

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

and also Peggy's photo gallery where there is an introduction

http://www.pbase.com/johnfr/peggy

It's fantastic when they get brave enough to come out of that state from just thinking: "that human actually understands me now!"

Guest Swifthounds

I wanted to also just give you a small piece of advice someone gave me a long time ago. With shy dogs I don't pet their heads, imagine if someone came at you with a large hand and patted your head. It's a bit obtrusive and scares some dogs. I always go for petting them under their chins. This is less obtrusive and Chesney may be more apt to come to you more often. :)

Very good specific advice. It's very important with either a very shy/spook hound or one intimidated by new surroundings that physical contact be initiated by the dog, not the human.

Guest Psycmeistr

Chesney's racing weight was 73 lbs-- I just had him weighed tonight at Banfield and he was 68 lbs..

Conana pretty much has maintained his weight at 80 lbs..

I'm definitely going to watch what he eats..

Guest Psycmeistr

Quick update--

Chesney has been warming up, albeit slowly the past couple of days. He actually came up to me on his own yesterday for some scritches :o)

He's still on the spooky side, but I believe he'll be coming around-

Guest madredhare

Quick update--

Chesney has been warming up, albeit slowly the past couple of days. He actually came up to me on his own yesterday for some scritches :o)

He's still on the spooky side, but I believe he'll be coming around-

It sounds like he is making wonderful progress. I think you will be seeing some amazing things from Chesney! What a wonderful reward. I love the shy ones.

• 11 months later...
Guest Psycmeistr

Well, I'm glad to report that much progress has been made with Chesney. Although he's still easily spooked when something drops around him or when there's a sudden noise, he tolerates being around people much more than he used to. He's really a goofball sometimes, and enjoys playing with his forever brother, Conan. His personality has really come out. It took awhile, and there's still some way to go, but he's really a gem-

Leo,

Sounds like you have read too much anti-racing ads (the severe abuse thing). What was your first greyhound like? It sounds like your boy is shy, and probably shy of men more than women. I have a female that when I first adopted her, if I simply looked in her direction, she would run into her crate, and hide at the back. If I went to get her out of her crate, she just trembled. Was she severly abused, not in the least. I met her trainer (woman) with my greyhound one day at a reunion and my little greyhound came unglued with excitement.

What did I do to overcome the shyness and earn my hound's trust. I did everything for her. My wife didnt do anything. We made sure that I did all the walking, treating, obedience training, and most importantly feeding. Not just put the bowl down, but hand-feeding. The first two weeks I had to sit on the floor and put a handfull of food behind my back just for her to take a bite. After 2 week, we graduated to me holding my hand beside me (while still sitting on the floor). After about 1 month I could sit on the floor and feed her from my lap. I continued the hand feeding for 2 months and by the end of the two months, she was no longer terrified of me, still apprehensive, but not terrified. I could approach her and pet, her. If I moved too fast, or spoke too loud, she would leave the room. Continuous training and one-on-one time with her has made our bond strong. She trusts me and is my little girl. If my wife and I are out, and I walk away, Olive whines and looks for me until I get back.

Things will get better, but you have to have patience, and you have to work with him on things that build trust.

Chad

This!