Advantix

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

We tried Advantix on the dogs last Saturday for the first time. We were away from our house, and thus the cats, for a few days and so we bathed the, let them dry fully and then put it on. I switched to Advantix this round because the previous weekend, Pru got 2 ticks on her in the mountains. The one thing I have noticed is that the pups started scratching far worse within 24 hours of us putting advantix on them. Its hard to see on the boy, but I haven't noticed flea poop on the girl (tho a day or two before Advantix I did find 1 or two slow moving fleas on Pru). She had been given advantage 3 weeks prior. Pru doesn't generally scratch much, and unfortunately the boy had only been living with us a few days before applying Advantix, so I have no idea how much he generally scratches himself. But this scratching behavior has intensified for both of them, and poor Rego just went through a 15 minute itch festival in the bedroom at 2am.

Anyone ever notice their hounds scratch themselves more when on Advantix? I also hate how this stuff still has distinct spots on their fur even 5 days later, and even after I took wet papertoels to try to wipe them. Could Advantix be agitating my guys skin?

I use Advantix II (don't know the difference between the two). My girl did not scratch at all from it. Actually, she wasn't scratching when I put it on, but I saw a few fleas on her. I too dislike the greasy spots it leaves on the hair but they do eventually go away.

I don't use any topical treatments on my dogs. Gracie will act like I've poured acid on her.

Usually the instructions are to not bathe the dog or apply a few days after a bath.

Wiping with a wet cloth with Dawn detergent on it will help remove the medication if needed.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If you saw fleas before applying, they may be itching because the topical medications affect flea nervous systems and tend to make the fleas hyperactive before they die.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zombrie

I used that on Mira once and never will again. It made her very itchy and she was miserable... so much so that I gave her a bath that same day to get it off of her

Edited by zombrie

The first time I used it on my blue girl she was itchy then I said I would never use it again.. how ever some months later a friend gave me some advantix 2

for free and fiances being what they are these days I decided to use it again and this time all was well with both hounds and ive used it ever since.

do not know why the difference myself.

deb

I don't know the difference, either, and whichever version I am using (not home, can't check) is no problem. "They" say, though, if you have a reactive dog, that you can open a capsule of Vitamin E and apply right after applying your choice of topical treatment. Never tried it, never needed to, don't know if it works.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

John E used to get very itchy and would rub up against the walls and being very anxious so I stopped using it. At the time, our vet said we were the only ones to complain and suggested I contact the manufacturer. Of course, I didn't, but over the years, I have seen more and more compliants posted.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Summit was very itchy the first time I used Advantix (he had ticks when we got him from the adoption kennel). I contacted the company and was advised that this happened in some dogs. The vehicle used to deliver the drug can sometimes cause a weird sensation to some dogs. Applying it with some Vit E oil will prevent/reduce this. However, out of interest the following 3 doses produced little to no scratching.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

I would not use Advantix on my dogs. I'd use Advantage.

But if Ticks are the problem then Advantage isn't going to always be the best option because it doesn't cover as many different kinds. I had to use Advantix because after identifying the species of tick we realized that Advantage wasn't going to do the trick.

Personally I prefer Advantage, but you gotta do what you gotta do. :dunno

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

A rep from my adoption organization (Forever Home Greyhound Adoptions) recommended not using Advantage or Advantix but to use Advantix II. It could be that someone else from this organization would have said something different.

There is so much discussion and opinion over what manufacturers should make simple for us dog owners. It is what it is, though, so we have to live with what's offered. It also proves that in the end each of us -- no matter how new we are to owning a Grey -- has to make our own decision based upon advice, opinions, research and knowledge of our individual animal.

But if Ticks are the problem then Advantage isn't going to always be the best option because it doesn't cover as many different kinds. I had to use Advantix because after identifying the species of tick we realized that Advantage wasn't going to do the trick.

To the best of my knowledge, and according to the box, Advantage doesn't work on any kind of tick. It says flea and lice. Maybe it just kills some kind of ticks as an added bonus?

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest greyers

Thanks so much everyone for your posts!

Just to clarify it IS advantix II that I tried, not the original formula.

After hearing that some people's dogs have responded similarly, I am thinking maybe this weekend I will bathe them and see if it stops. Poor babies. Especially Rego. Has the itchy bitchies!!

Guest greenbottle27

I switched in July to Advantix II from Frontline+ and have not noticed any difference in our furkids. We switched because I noticed flea dirt on the 'animal' sofa. Coulda been the cat or dogs. But since we switched the sofa has been clean :)

GOod luck!

My wife and I recently adopted our first greyhound and from what I understand you should apply flea and tick stuff once a month. Is that every month, year round? Or not so much in the winter? What months should we use this stuff?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread but thank you for any assistance.

Brooks%20Leatherworks%20Greytalk_zpsqf7j

Guest BrianRke

My wife and I recently adopted our first greyhound and from what I understand you should apply flea and tick stuff once a month. Is that every month, year round? Or not so much in the winter? What months should we use this stuff?

I dont apply it Nov-Mar, its too cold for fleas here so I figure its a waste of money. I guess it depends on where you live. I DO however, give them heartworm preventative all year long. I've seen a mosquito in January :unsure

Guest greyers

Hi Mike! Welcome! :colgate

How many months out of the year you apply the flea and tick products really depends on where you live and how bad the problem is that particular year. Living in southern California, I would say we could often have flea probs 8-10 months out of a year.

Most of the products (advantage, frontline, Advantix) are meant to be applied topically once a month. If the flea problems are bad at that time a year, you may find you need to apply it a little more often. I shoot for once a month and then apply it earlier than that if I notice flea poop or my dogs and cats are itching.

As for heart worm, I must say I don't use the meds, although I really should. Not sure why I don't and never have. It's just not something I usually think of nor does our vet really bring up. Bad mommy!! :unsure

Edited by greyers

Here is some decent heartworm info with a map. You really want to use the preventive. Cheap, easy, and sure beats having the disease. http://www.thepetdoctorinc.com/2011/02/canine-heartworm-disease/

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.