Gee Has Fallen On Wood Floor

Guest whatahound

Guest whatahound

Twice in the last month Gee has fallen on the wood floor. I've put carpet runners all around but there are some areas I can't cover. It has always happened when she is acting crazy when I get home. Is there anything I can do to give her more traction. I checked a few pet supply companies but did not see anything.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

I bought all kinds of mats at Walmart. They have tons in all different sizes.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I use stall mats because my home is "decorated" first for the hounds and then for me so I admit my home is rather kennel like lol. They also work great cut and put in the bottom of crates that have plastic slippery floors or as a floor in an x-pen to prevent carpet damage. They are pretty cheap, durable, great traction, easy to clean and there are several "styles" i.e. you can get squares of varying sizes and weight and smaller interlocking square styles that you put together to build one like you like. For my house the lighter cheaper ones work fine for dogs.( For the barn I only use the more expensive heavy ones(horses are heavy)). The only drawback is that most all are black. I like them though. You can put down as many or as few as you need and they'll probably last forever. Tractor Suppply has them for around $20. They are also great for the muddy paws of winter-so easy to clean.

We have our hard wood floors covered in those interlocking kiddie mats. They make it safe for the greyhounds and my feet just love them also. I ordered them on the internet.

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

If she's jumping or twirling when you come home, how about you walk right away to a carpeted area and let her get out her happiness?

I second this as well.

Ryder restricts his happiness for a carpeted only area when we come home....he greets me, and runs to a small piece of carpet with his wubba and squeaks away.

I have heard of a spray application for feet but I do not know the name nor have I used it - a lot of help I am I know.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest whatahound

If she's jumping or twirling when you come home, how about you walk right away to a carpeted area and let her get out her happiness?

I second this as well.

Ryder restricts his happiness for a carpeted only area when we come home....he greets me, and runs to a small piece of carpet with his wubba and squeaks away.

I have heard of a spray application for feet but I do not know the name nor have I used it - a lot of help I am I know.

Yes, I do this. The hounds stay in the carpeted bedroom when we are at work. I go in, sit on the floor until everyone is chilled. Then I slowly walk to the front door to get the leashes and then she goes nuts. The entire downstairs is hardwood except for the bedroom.

I was thinking there was something that I could put on her pads, the small amount of wood that is showing now is very little.

Bring her leash into the room with you, then sit down and cuddle and get everyone calmed down. Or even leave the leash in the room when you go to work.

Silver stays in an ex-pen when I'm at work, and I usually drape her leash over the nearest doorknob so I can pick up it (and her martingale) and put them on her while she's still in the pen. Then I've got a grip on her before she hits the wide-open spaces of Crazy Dog Land.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

It would be best to cover up the slippery parts of the floor. There are all kinds of mats available, including some you can cut to size without fraying (think doormat-type mats).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LadyChester

What about having her wear Therapaws? That would give her traction and provide padding for her joints at the same time.

Good to see you back, Donna :yay

greyhound-dog-sock-100.jpgCheck out the Power Paws from Woodrow Wear. They just came out with a product specifically made for Greyhounds!

http://woodrowwear.com/

$19.99 for a set of 4 socks

(Tell 'em GPA/Louisville sent you!)

Traction for senior dogs, you may need just one pair for the back paws, or your dog may need traction on all four paws. Power Paws give dogs with hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other neuro-skeletal issues the power to stand, the power to go, and the power to stop!small-dog-socks-facing-us.jpgSlippery floors. If your young, middle-aged or aging dog runs through the house and skids on your floors, you should put Power Paws on all four feet. This is also useful for dogs that have lost the confidence to walk on hardwood or tile. Power Paws make movement easier, increasing your pet's quality of life.

Protection against scratches on hardwood floors, Power Paws should be put on all four feet. Refinishing hardwood is expensive and time consuming. Prevent nail marks with Power Paws.

Fashion, definitely put Power Paws on all four paws. All dogs enjoy looking good, and some dogs dress up daily. Power Paws come in colors and designs that compliment every dog's style and personality.

Paw wound protection, put one Power Paws sock on the injured paw, or on all four paws for consistency. Power Paws are so soft and comfortable, dogs tend to leave them (and the affected foot) alone. You may be able to remove the e-collar from your dog's head – a benefit for dog and owner! Many vets and pet owners have achieved favorable results in this application.

Power Paws can be used OUTDOORS for

Protection against salt, snow, and ice, Power Paws have proven to be quite useful in winter conditions. We suggest spraying Power Paws with a couple coats of waterproof spray. Let them dry completely, then enjoy the outdoors with your dog! Power Paws dog socks are machine washable.

dog-sock-bandaged-foot.jpgProtection against extreme heat, such as hot pavement, sand, etc. Power Paws shield sensitive paws from burns. Summer heat does not affect the grip material, and the sock is thick enough to protect paws from heat.

An allergy barrier for dogs that are allergic to dust, dirt, grass, pollen and anything that dogs may step in. When you bring the dog inside, remove the Power Paws and machine wash! You've just removed the allergens from your dog's foot, they have no need to lick their feet, and they won't ingest the things they are allergic to!

To help prevent your dog from slipping in moving vehicles, mobile homes, RVs and boats, Power Paws help to give dogs stability and grip. On a boat, they also protect the teak floors from scratches!

Edited by AndysMom

Mom to Palm City Roxie ("Roxie"). Remembering Heizer Jordan ("Jordan"), DB's PickedtoWin ("Andy"), CB Ectasy ("Ecstasy"), Oshkosh Unafraid ("Tribute"), Arathorn, WV's Imperial ("Abby") and her brother WV's Institute ("Mojo") and KB's Gameboy ("Game Boy"), who've all gone to the Bridge. Working with Austin Greyhound Adoption <austingreyhounds.org>.

Guest whatahound

greyhound-dog-sock-100.jpgCheck out the Power Paws from Woodrow Wear. They just came out with a product specifically made for Greyhounds!

http://woodrowwear.com/

$19.99 for a set of 4 socks

(Tell 'em GPA/Louisville sent you!)

Traction for senior dogs, you may need just one pair for the back paws, or your dog may need traction on all four paws. Power Paws give dogs with hip dysplasia, arthritis, and other neuro-skeletal issues the power to stand, the power to go, and the power to stop!small-dog-socks-facing-us.jpgSlippery floors. If your young, middle-aged or aging dog runs through the house and skids on your floors, you should put Power Paws on all four feet. This is also useful for dogs that have lost the confidence to walk on hardwood or tile. Power Paws make movement easier, increasing your pet's quality of life.

Protection against scratches on hardwood floors, Power Paws should be put on all four feet. Refinishing hardwood is expensive and time consuming. Prevent nail marks with Power Paws.

Fashion, definitely put Power Paws on all four paws. All dogs enjoy looking good, and some dogs dress up daily. Power Paws come in colors and designs that compliment every dog's style and personality.

Paw wound protection, put one Power Paws sock on the injured paw, or on all four paws for consistency. Power Paws are so soft and comfortable, dogs tend to leave them (and the affected foot) alone. You may be able to remove the e-collar from your dog's head – a benefit for dog and owner! Many vets and pet owners have achieved favorable results in this application.

Power Paws can be used OUTDOORS for

Protection against salt, snow, and ice, Power Paws have proven to be quite useful in winter conditions. We suggest spraying Power Paws with a couple coats of waterproof spray. Let them dry completely, then enjoy the outdoors with your dog! Power Paws dog socks are machine washable.

dog-sock-bandaged-foot.jpgProtection against extreme heat, such as hot pavement, sand, etc. Power Paws shield sensitive paws from burns. Summer heat does not affect the grip material, and the sock is thick enough to protect paws from heat.

An allergy barrier for dogs that are allergic to dust, dirt, grass, pollen and anything that dogs may step in. When you bring the dog inside, remove the Power Paws and machine wash! You've just removed the allergens from your dog's foot, they have no need to lick their feet, and they won't ingest the things they are allergic to!

To help prevent your dog from slipping in moving vehicles, mobile homes, RVs and boats, Power Paws help to give dogs stability and grip. On a boat, they also protect the teak floors from scratches!

Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for everyones input. :colgate

Beware: If nonskid socks twist around on a dog's foot (which they all do here), makes it even slipperier for the dog and can lead to severe injury.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.