Starting To Chew After Starting To Play

Guest lala22

I thought i posted this and now i can't find it...forgive me if this is a second post...

Our new Ziggy just started to play after getting him in January...he is so fun, zoomies around the family room, and we got him 3 new toys in addition to the 2 he came with.

But, now we are coming home from work and finding that he's been chewing on things:

destroyed:

a paperback book

a headband

an electronic speaker

moves shoes around

a cedar shoe tree my hubby puts in his work shoes

and many more things.

When i got home the other day and saw the book, i showed it to him and told him sternly, NO, and he knew he had been bad and put his head down and went to his bed...

What else can i do except keep doggy proofing...when we picked everything up, that's when he found the shoe tree upstairs in our bedroom...boy he must have been bored to go up there...typically he sleeps all day!

Maybe i need a doggie webcam to see what he does all day when we are done, because when we are home, he sleeps!

thanks so much...will go read other posts here, i'm sure there are plenty on chewing.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

first and foremost, your hound had ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA why you were scolding him. Unless you catch him in the act, you CANNOT correct the behavior. If you do not believe me, try this:

1) after you read this, go over to him, wake him up (since they pretty much sleep all the time).

2) once he is awake, in the same stern voice and scowl on your face, tell him he is a good boy. The best boy you have ever seen.

Bet he reacts the same way as when he supposedly "understood" why he was being punished.

If you cannot doggie proof everything, why not simply put his muzzle on him when you leave him? If he is chewing there are two main reasons, boredom and/or anxiety.

Try walking him and tiring him out before you leave, also try a kong filled with kibble or other treats and capped with peanut butter. Maybe a treat puzzle to keep him occupied. There are many books that you can use to give you ideas on how to deal with both issues. I am not saying which is the issue, but there are many things that you can do in both situations that help. "Greyhounds for Dummies" is a good book, "Adopting the retired racer" is another good book, "I'll be home soon" is an excellent help as well.

Whatever you do, please realize that the dog brain has the memory and capacity of a 3 year old child, they cannot fathom why you are upset with them, they simply react to the fact that you ARE upset with them.

Chad

Do you have a muzzle, and maybe a muzzle cup? Hopefully he's just going thru a stage and this too shall pass.

Our greyhounds have chewed my glasses and my husbands hearing aids. Those were expensive chews. We are now trained better on keeping things out of their reach.

Best of luck.

Edited by Tallgreydogmom

Vallerysiggy.jpg

Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

If you look in my history you'll see that Batman started to do the same thing. What we do is make sure he can't reach anything that he'll want to chew - he's particularly attracted to hard plastics and paper, so we do a quick sweep every morning to make sure none of that is in reach. Thankfully he's not a counter-surfer so we just have to worry about the floor and the couches.

We also make sure that he has really, REALLY satisfying things to chew on - harder rubber toys that make a loud squeaking sound, Kongs, firm nylon knots like the one I got from Petsmart (it's nearly a foot in diameter), etc.

I try to remember that I'm supposed to be much smarter than my dog, and I'm in complete control of his environment, while all he can do is react to the environment I give him.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

How much exercise is he getting before you leave him?

I think that's key. A dog who has started to chew has gotten comfortable in his home, which is good, but is bored, which isn't so good. If he's tired from exercise, he's far less likely to chew.

And as Chad said, your dog didn't "understand" anything except his person was speaking to him in a tone of voice he could tell didn't mean good things. All dogs learn from those "lessons" is that you're unpredictable!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I agree with everyone's excellent responses. A couple more ideas: Baby gate him in one room that you make sure is as dog safe as possible. (Preferably one of his normal living areas where he is most comfortable.) Or ex-pen him (4' tall) when you're away. This is a free-standing exercise pen which is larger and more comfortable than a crate for a hound who won't jump out.

When chewer dogs are not muzzled, it's good to show/teach them about how great it is to chew their own safe chew toys. If you catch him in the act, offer him his own safe chew toy so he understands what is okay to chew. Not many are safe but among the safest are specifically called "Durachews" by Nylabone. "Souper" size. (This is a hard bone, not the flexible or edible type.) The shape of a fist with arm is one of the favorites with Greyhounds because they can easily get their mouths around them to chew, and that shape is made solidly enough not to break. They last a very long time. I recommend the flavored Durachews most highly: Bacon, Liver or Chicken. (Not "Original" flavor, which is really no flavor.) If he's not interested within a day or so, you can try smearing peanut butter on it. All our "chewer" Greyhounds love to chew these bones and they help keep their teeth much cleaner.

Here's one reasonably priced source: www.entirelypets.com (Type: Durachew Souper in the search box.)

Edited by 3greytjoys

Muzzle muzzle muzzle! And baby gate him in a fairly dog proofed room. Sunshine is now 4, I first got her when she was 2. She still wears her muzzle every time we are not home. She just has naughty toofers! :lol

Also agree with increased exercise and acceptable things to chew on. Sunshine will chew for 3-4 hours straight at night. I hate to think what he bite force is from those muscled chipmunk cheeks. If she feels the need to chew the least I can do it let her do it on doggy things.

------

Jessica

I agree with everyone's excellent responses. A couple more ideas: Baby gate him in one room that you make sure is as dog safe as possible. (Preferably one of his normal living areas where he is most comfortable.) Or ex-pen him (4' tall) when you're away. This is a free-standing exercise pen which is larger and more comfortable than a crate for a hound who won't jump out.

When chewer dogs are not muzzled, it's good to show/teach them about how great it is to chew their own safe chew toys. If you catch him in the act, offer him his own safe chew toy so he understands what is okay to chew. Not many are safe but among the safest are specifically called "Durachews" by Nylabone. "Souper" size. (This is a hard bone, not the flexible or edible type.) The shape of a fist with arm is one of the favorites with Greyhounds because they can easily get their mouths around them to chew, and that shape is made solidly enough not to break. They last a very long time. I recommend the flavored Durachews most highly: Bacon, Liver or Chicken. (Not "Original" flavor, which is really no flavor.) If he's not interested within a day or so, you can try smearing peanut butter on it. All our "chewer" Greyhounds love to chew these bones and they help keep their teeth much cleaner.

Here's one reasonably priced source: www.entirelypets.com (Type: Durachew Souper in the search box.)

Small derail.. The Dura chews... how durable are they for say... a 20 month old husky that LOVES to chew and even tore up one of those toys made from tires?

TY & back to your regularly scheduled posting :blush

Guest jbbuzby

Agree with everyone...dog's don't understand cause and effect unless they are within 5 or so seconds of occurring, and the muzzle is your best friend!

would you mind posting a picture of these bones? i looked up the souper bacon and chicken flavored bones on the entirely pets website...and both are shaped different...so i'm confused about the 'fist with the arm" shape.

thanks

We have four NylaBones in our house. I call them the testicle toy. My dogs love them and they have lasted with no problems.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

The "fist with arm" shape at Entirely Pets is chicken flavored. (I've been buying the bacon flavored (tan color) at local pet stores for years.) Sorry, the picture won't successfully post on this forum.

In general, just be sure to get a hard, solid "DuraChew" (best without narrow extensions).

(NOT a hollow style DuraChew, NOT flexible, and NOT the dinosaur shape.)

They last a very long time, but do watch for wear and replace when dogs chews them down too far.

Hopefully, this link will take you directly to the correct item page.

http://www.entirelyp...hicksouper.html