Does Any Of This Make Sense?

Update Post# 1.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Can't recall if she was ever treated for UTI? Unless the urinalysis is totally clean now, she should be.

I would probably consult MSU or OSU re any medication interactions with the thyroid readings and if all is well there, see how she does on a low dose of supplementation.

Was a coagulation panel done in addition to the vonW test? IIRC, you usually don't worry about the vonW test unless it's a good bit lower than that.

Scritchies to your best girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Can't recall if she was ever treated for UTI? Unless the urinalysis is totally clean now, she should be.

I would probably consult MSU or OSU re any medication interactions with the thyroid readings and if all is well there, see how she does on a low dose of supplementation.

Was a coagulation panel done in addition to the vonW test? IIRC, you usually don't worry about the vonW test unless it's a good bit lower than that.

Scritchies to your best girl!

Yes, she was treated with two rounds of Ciproflaxacin - mid-August and early October - that's one of the reasons that the cysto was postponed.

I doubt that the coagulation panel was done, but I will inquire. How are the two tests related?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

von Willebrand's factor is just one coagulation factor. A coag panel checks several others. If the only time she's had bruising is that once, I honestly don't know if it's worth doing -- I would probaby trust your vet there. High blood pressure can cause or worsen bruising all by itself.

FWIW, when Joseph first came home he had a couple incidents of unusual bruising from simple blood draws (which the vet had done himself so he knew there shouldn't've been bruising ...). We did the whole banana worth of tests and found nothing. Never happened again. We did his dental and neuter (separately) after that and he had no problems.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I just sent you a big-ol harry long PM :blink:

thinking about you and Suze this morning!

hope you both have a good day!

:bighug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

My question: Would you treat with Soloxine to see if it would influence both the thyroid and the vWF? I have read about the connection in humans and understand that the canine connection is unproven but "bears further investigation". Is DES off the table now due to the vWF?

Yes I would try Soloxine. Cutie was taken off Soloxine for a short time when she was found to have an autoimmune disease. During that time she had a dental with one extraction and the vet had a difficult time controlling bleeding. That was the first time she had experienced any difficulties.

I know a lot of people are very cautious about the use of Soloxine, but I have seen it solve a lot of "mystery" issues. If your vet wants to try it, I would not hesitate to do so.

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

von Willebrand's factor is just one coagulation factor. A coag panel checks several others. If the only time she's had bruising is that once, I honestly don't know if it's worth doing -- I would probaby trust your vet there. High blood pressure can cause or worsen bruising all by itself.

FWIW, when Joseph first came home he had a couple incidents of unusual bruising from simple blood draws (which the vet had done himself so he knew there shouldn't've been bruising ...). We did the whole banana worth of tests and found nothing. Never happened again. We did his dental and neuter (separately) after that and he had no problems.

This is her second bruising incident - the first one coincidentally happened after her last cystocentisis in Aug of 2009 as part of a 6 month follow up/check up after her ARF. The bruising extended from the puncture site half way up her belly. I was so alarmed that I took her back to the ER/Specialty Hospital (it was on a Saturday, of course) and their "take" on it was that yes, it was unusual, resulting in comment on the the client paperwork of "possible thrombocytopenia".

Last week she barely bumped her "shin" while jumping into my van (I was standing right there and saw it happen) that resulted in a bruise that was 1" x 2" overall.

Linda, for what it's worth, our Shane has been treated for thyroid for several years, but developed a long UTI (delay in diagnosing) and iffy kidney values. We thought we had all that taken care of with antibiotics and a kidney diet, but he started leaking urine again, as well as showing low energy on walks and no longer doing zoomies in the yard. We upped his dose from 1.0 mg per day to 1.25 (which is just adding a half of pill to one of his pill administrations), and the leakage stopped after a few days and the energy returned. We'll go in and actually check his blood values in a couple weeks, after they have had a chance to get where they're going on the new dose. (Our older hound is also hypothyroid and started whining at night and whenever unsettled, however slightly. Took the opposite tack with him, and reduced his dosage by half a pill a day. That seems to have solved the problem, and his blood values will be rechecked tomorrow.)

I say all this because I don't think philosophically-based advice (like "always treat low thyroid values" or "never treat low thyroid values in greyhounds") is really all that helpful. Each dog is an individual, and I think we serve each other best when we share our specific experiences in some detail. If I were you and the vet agreed, I would try treating the thyroid. It's amazing how many problems can be related to thyroid issues.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

How are you and Suze doing today?

:bighug

Thinking about you!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14