Help ... My New Grey Won't Allow Me To Put Any Type Of Sweater On

Guest Apollo_Dog

Guest Apollo_Dog

Has anyone else had this problem? My new grey (have had her for 3 months) won't allow any kind of material to touch her back ... has flipped out if I try to towel her dry coming in out of the rain and I very briefly tried to introduce a sweater tonight since its starting to really get cold. She will have nothing to do with it!! The thing is, Chicago winters get extremely cold and this is non negotiable issue, I can't have her in the middle of January not wearing a coat ... but I don't want to invest in anything if it's a struggle to even get her in one. Has anyone else had this problem with their new grey? She is very young (just turned 2 in August) and came off a Texas track. She did actually race, so I don't know if she thinks I'm placing racing clothes on her, but I'm not sure what to do. As I've discovered with some recent wounds, she is a bit of a drama queen ... this was never an issue with my boy ... he is seriously bomb proof ...

Do you have a yard or do you have to walk her?

I did not use coats on my dogs in Cincinnati when it was VERY cold. They had a yard and went out quickly and did their business and were quickly ready to come in. Even in sub zero temps, no coats. Now if I took them on a walk, and they HAD to be out for a prolonged time, then I'd put on a coat. Never had one freak out, had a few who tried to rub them off and made a mess out of them, and that's pretty much why I quit using them. Most dogs will be just fine for a quick potty break in the yard. :)

It's colder in MN than Chicago and last winter I didn't use coats for the first time. Guess what....they grew more fur and were just fine.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I'd take her to a vet and demonstrate the problem using a towel. It sounds like it could be a hypersensitivity that a vet could address.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Even if your girl raced briefly in Texas odds are pretty good that she was raised in OK or KS outside in the snow in winter and 100 degree heat in the summer and a communal dog house and a wading pool. It snows enough in Abilene KS that the have snow routes -- and hundreds and hundreds of young greys live outside there 24/7.

I spent 12 years in Chicago and we honestly had two really bad winters -- the worst was around 1995 and there was bitter, bitter cold. Yes a grey would have to have had a coat that winter to be walked. The other bad winter was early 1999 and that was just a ton of snow. When it's snowing it usually isn't bitter cold -- those are the bright sunny days, so that winter was snowy but not so cold. Except for 1995 I rarely used a coat on my yorkies.

If you have a yard I wouldn't press the coat issue unless you feel an odd need to go for walks when it's really cold. She'll go out, take care of business and come back in just fine.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I adopted Annie Bella 3 months ago today. She didn't like to be toweled off coming in from the rain. I too think it was because it reminded her of the track. I eased her into liking it by brushing her with a very soft brush (she loves to be brushed) when she was wet and slowly replacing the brush with a small towel. You might try a hand towel to start. It's less threatening. It took one day of rain and doing this each time we went out for P&P before she would run to the towel to be dried. I was very gentle with it and would also include a bit of massage-like pressure on her shoulders. If she were a cat, she would purr from her pleasure.

I'm in Upstate New York and winters vary from easy to very hard. I bought a waterproof winter coat just in case it's needed. I visited a relative earlier this month and the temp at 6 AM for first-morning P&P was 30 degrees. Annie shivered in the chill so I'll know when she's cold. I've put the coat on her only once. She didn't like it. She ran away, but I calmed her down and with lots of petting and being firm in my resolve, put it on her. I can be a pushover for her likes and dislikes, but when it comes to something important, I'm in charge. If you want to use a coat on your baby, think of it as giving her medicine. It's got to be done so work on it. She'll get used to it after a while.

What exactly do you mean when you say "freaked out"? Because unless she's in danger of hurting herself, I say let her freak! Once she realizes it's not going to hurt her, she'll probably be just fine. I'm sure a lot of people are going to think that's a terrible idea, but honestly, she's not going to be permanently damaged by having a coat put on her that she doesn't want put on her.

Perhaps just start with the towel? Drape it over her back and let her see--nothing bad is going to happen.

If I let George decide what he would and would not put up with as a pet, I'd have a hound that wouldn't walk on shiny floors, wouldn't use an elevator, wouldn't walk up stairs, and wouldn't walk on a leash like a civilized beast.

Having said that, and please recognize this is just MY opinion, all the others who have said that she's not going to perish without a coat are right. Sure, you don't want to be out in a blizzard with a nekkid Greyound for an hour, but Greyhounds are not the delicate flowers some folks make them out to be. My dog has a HUGE wardrobe, but that's more for me than him. I'm sure he'd be perfectly happy to be naked all the time (although he does seem to enjoy his jammies, based on his reaction when I hold them out to him). He wears jammies in the winter because I think they're cute, not because he needs them.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Plygreygirl

My first hound Caryl would not wear a coat. Being the concerened newby I bought her a $38.00 cortex fleece lined coat that was 15 + yrs ago . The first time I put it on her she sunk down like 5" gave the saddest look you can come up with. I fought with her for most of that fist winter and everytime I put it on her she refussed to walk in it until I took it off. For the rest of that first winter I would check her ears and feet when we were out walking like every 10 or 15 mins. Yes every time they were hot. So needless to say the coat did not get used much because she really just did not need it.

But I do agree with Georgeof NE if she needs one you can not give in. Most of the time if you just make a stand and say enough and then just move foward. The dog will get it! No discussion just do it firmly and quitly with meaning. You do need to be the alpha in all situations or you will end up with a unhappy hound on your hands!!

So if she needs the coat because she's cold just do it and then get moving! If like most of us it more for us than the dog then let it go! Some hounds just don't need a sweater or even PJ's.:blush

Guest sja5032

What kind of freaking out? Both of my greys get super excited when I put anything on them and run around. Are you sure she is scared and not just being silly? She may just be being a drama queen like you said. I would try to desensitize her to it. Put the coat on her, feed cookies, take off coat for a few minutes, then repeat. Gradually increase the time it stays on as she gets better and make sure she calms down in-between. You may have to use some really high value treats but I think it will work. I don't think she would be acting scared if it reminded her of racing, she may just be acting excited and you are perceiving it as scared?

Guest Swifthounds

I adopted Annie Bella 3 months ago today. She didn't like to be toweled off coming in from the rain. I too think it was because it reminded her of the track. I eased her into liking it by brushing her with a very soft brush (she loves to be brushed) when she was wet and slowly replacing the brush with a small towel.

:lol Where do folks get these ideas? If something reminded her of the track it would be familiar and routine and thus far more comforting than the completely foreign (and for some dogs frightening) act of a stranger they dont know and don't trust thrusting something wholly new and strange upon them.

I don't coat my hounds except in severely cold weather and/or snow, but all of them will tolerate coats. In all but sub zero temps, coats and jammies are for the people, not the dog.

Trojan came to me at age 12 having not worn a coat in quite some time, so we worked up to it gradually through slow and consistent exposure and irrestitble treats available to him at no other time. With a new hound, you'll also want to do lots of separate small sessions of play training to build trust and bond.

Guest Swifthounds

So nice to be laughed at. Makes me feel warm and fuzzy. NOT!

Now you know a little of how the good folks who love, breed, raise, and care for these hounds feel when reading comments like the above. Something to think about before attributing every difficulty with a hound to their time at the track.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest BrindleBoy

Swift,

Don't be so harsh... most people haven't been educated about the TRUTH of these dogs' treatment/living as a racer. a lot of the old dogma "they are in their crates 20 hours a day, they feed them rotten meat/most of them get euthanized" is still around. It's not their fault, that's what they've been told. Even the adoptive organizations preach dogma against racing. I've only recently started digging to learn what "track life" is REALLY like. Most people just believe what they're told, because that's the only info they have.

So go easy. Help educate these people, but doing it without the snide attitude would be more helpful.

She might be ticklish or not like anything flapping around her butt, and might not like being manipulated to put on anything complicated. I'd experiment with different garments -- maybe a visit to a friend with an extensive wardrobe? or one of the local greyhound group reunions with vendors.

My Joseph doesn't like coats that cover his butt. He will wear a sweater that slips over his head and fastens under the tummy, no leg manipulation needed; covers most of his ribcage.

We live in northern IL as well. I don't bother with coats until it gets pretty cold (or kinda cold and very windy) but we have a fenced yard and don't leash-walk a lot.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I live in Alaska, and the only time my critters wear coats is if they're going to be out for more than the few minutes it takes to go potty, and we frequently see -30 and -40 degrees here. They don't wear any clothing inside; instead, I have blankets on the couch and the dog beds that they can snuggle under if they want. When it's colder than -20, I will put boots on two of the hounds because they have very sensitive feet.

If you do want to walk your pup for more than just potty breaks, you might try what I do when I'm teaching a new dog about boots. I take them outside barefooted. When they start reacting to the cold ground (lifting a paw, etc.), I bring them in, put on the boots and immediately take them back out. You can practically see the little light go off! I never have a problem with boots after that. That might work for a coat, too :).

Good luck!

When i first got one of my hounds they were very wary of anything that approached them from above them, or even if someone threw a ball near then. Just the act of something raising above them seemed to scare them. They slowly got used to it and now are not fazed by the same motions, it was just something new to them. Mine also twitch and wiggle and squirm when they get toweled off, they love it though :)

Maybe start with a face cloth and approach from the ground and rub the belly or sides, or maybe even front where she can sniff at it, then slowly work back in future "rubbings".

It is probably just something new that they aren't too sure of yet.

Guest Apollo_Dog

The reason I was thinking a coat for my new grey is that my 4 year old 70 male has one and when it gets fairly cold, he actually starts to shiver, you have to then drag him outside if there is no coat on him. My first experiences with greyhounds is thru my male grey ... I unfortunately don't have the luxury of a yard to let the houndies out, they have to leash walked. And in my own experience with Chicago winters (I've lived here a very long time) is that we usually get about 1-2 weeks of extreme lets drop b/w -20 weather ... I've had to bundle up the pup just to push him outside and force him to stay outside until he produces some potty results. That being said, I'll just she how she tolerates the on coming season, perhaps when it's the extreme, she will then allow a coat, but I'm not going to invest in something she refuses to wear.

I know a grey or two who doesn't get coated up in the winter because they hate coats. They have a thicker coat and a little more body condition than my boy though who will visibly start to shiver in the dead of winter. The wind chill really does it for him though, so I think the coat mostly just helps take that extra edge away.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Swifthounds

Swift,

Don't be so harsh... most people haven't been educated about the TRUTH of these dogs' treatment/living as a racer. a lot of the old dogma "they are in their crates 20 hours a day, they feed them rotten meat/most of them get euthanized" is still around. It's not their fault, that's what they've been told. Even the adoptive organizations preach dogma against racing.

The poster posted something funny. I used the icon because it was funny. I can't stop someone from taking offense at my reaction to their offensive statement. Lighten up.

I've only recently started digging to learn what "track life" is REALLY like. Most people just believe what they're told, because that's the only info they have.

They don't believe it because it's what they've been told, they believe it because it's more in line with the romanticized fantasy of rescue. Thats why folks choose not to believe folks who tell them most greyhounds are loved and well cared for but choose to believe illogical things like linoleum torture, inferior food, fear of coats, that greyhounds can't sit, etc. It's not that folks can't just as easily find the truth. They stick to the illogical myths because they reinforce the dichotomy where the adopter is the savior in contrast to the oppressor. It's a tempting trap, but a trap nonetheless.

Has anyone else had this problem? My new grey (have had her for 3 months) won't allow any kind of material to touch her back ... has flipped out if I try to towel her dry coming in out of the rain and I very briefly tried to introduce a sweater tonight since its starting to really get cold. She will have nothing to do with it!! The thing is, Chicago winters get extremely cold and this is non negotiable issue, I can't have her in the middle of January not wearing a coat ... but I don't want to invest in anything if it's a struggle to even get her in one. Has anyone else had this problem with their new grey? She is very young (just turned 2 in August) and came off a Texas track. She did actually race, so I don't know if she thinks I'm placing racing clothes on her, but I'm not sure what to do. As I've discovered with some recent wounds, she is a bit of a drama queen ... this was never an issue with my boy ... he is seriously bomb proof ...

There are many things that can be scarey to a new grey and 3 months is really new. Your best bet is patience, love and more patience. If you want her to wear a coat there are some good suggestions by others. I would add try approaching her with something to place over her back when she is relaxed. Gently lay it over her back and give lots of premium treats with gentle talk and encouragement.

Hang in there. The ones who come with issues are often the most loving when they overcome them. I've noticed that usually my greys are settled and beginning to show their personality at about 10 months to a year. What a joy it is to see that happen :yay:confetti:banana:inlove

Guest BrianRke

My first grey, Cleo (at the bridge), NEVER EVER would let me put ANYTHING on her. She would have a major panic attack if I even tried to put a coat on her. In the winter months, she would go out, do her thing, then do zoomies, and come right back in the house. I was lucky enough to have a huge fenced yard.

Guest TBSFlame

Like most things time will take care of the problem. Memmie hates to wear coats but sometimes she has to wear them. We work the Renaissance Faire, and when it is cold, she has to wear her coat. She tries to rub it off on the patrons. lol. She does however trust me and will do as I ask. Your pup will get better as time and bonding happens.

Freddie my sister's big male will not go potty with his coat on in the winter. And we live here in Wisconsin, so it gets pretty cold here in the winter months. Freddie will stand on the patio and not move untill you take his coat off him. He just seems to prefer not to have coat on him .

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

I live in an area that gets bitterly cold in the winter and when I first got into greyhounds I didn't have a fenced yard OR a coat for potty breaks. He learned rightawayquick on his leashed potty breaks to get his business done quickly. I would just pace the same section of the yard over and over until both deeds were done. I think the first time it took 20 min and within a week it was under 3 min and we were back in the house again.

Now I have a fenced yard so it isn't an issue. I also have a row of hooks at the back door holding a multitude of dog coats. This thread has reminded me maybe I ought to take them down and launder them to knock off the dust that must be covering them(or just put them in a trunk). I think the last time I put a hound in a coat must have been over 4 yrs ago. When it is that nasty cold we just stay inside.

BTW, for those knocking the way Swifthounds words her replies......I find something of merit in just about everything she posts. Perhaps her delivery is a bit more direct than some are accustomed to and there might be a patronizing air that offend the more tender folks. However, she is also right most of the time and I value that.

Guest LindsaySF

She might just need some time. Does she panic that something is going over her head? Does she try to rub it off? Or does it seem like part of her back is painful? If she freaks just to you touching her, I'd be concerned about a pain thing, maybe something's wrong. But otherwise she might just take some time to get used to it.

My boy Teagan does not like coats. He squirms and tries to rub them off, stands still on walks, etc. The funny thing is, if he's really cold and starts shivering, and I put a coat on him, he's fine. I think he just waits until he really needs it, then he tolerates it. :)

BTW, for those knocking the way Swifthounds words her replies......I find something of merit in just about everything she posts. Perhaps her delivery is a bit more direct than some are accustomed to and there might be a patronizing air that offend the more tender folks. However, she is also right most of the time and I value that.

The message is utterly lost (right or not) when the delivery sucks. But she's been told that time and time again, I doubt anything will change. People need to learn to just ignore posts from certain members, it's better for your health...