Pineapple?

Guest driser

Guest driser

Ok, I've been searching around here reading about poop eating after the out-of-the-blue poop eating our Greyhound did tonight. What the heck?! Only it's not his poop because I clean up the yard after he poops in the morning. But we have lots of squirrels, rabbits, and skunks so I don't doubt there is poop I don't see. Now, what's this I'm seeing about adding pineapple to food? Is that when you think they are eating their own?? Or does it do something to stop them from wanting to eat poop regardless? please say yes. :)

Getting a poop guard immediately! Do they sell them at Petco or the like or do I need to order online?

Thanks

Pineapple juice deters them from eating their poop. Doesn't work for all dogs but it does stop Gracie from eating poop. When she's having the urge I put juice in all the dogs' food. I split one of those little pineapple juice cans between our 3 dogs. I also scoop in the yard once a day minimum.

Someone here will post about where you can find the "stool cup/poop guard" for muzzles. I doubt Petco would have them.

If you are able to feed pineapple to the skunks, please post pictures. :rolleyes::P

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

It is to stop them from eating their own. Other critters poop is still open season.

And poop guards are an online thing, you won't find them at Petco. GEM Greyhounds sells them. Here's the link to the GEM Store. Scroll down to the bottom.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Supposedly, only fresh pineapple juice, not canned or fruit juice, is the key, but it only works on their own poop. :blink:

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest KennelMom

It's the enzymes in pineapple, papapya, meat tenderizer and other "home remedies" for detering poop eating....It doesn't change the dog, it changes the way the poop tastes. Apparently, some dogs don't care for papain laced poop. Others figure, they're already eating s**t, what's a little papain :rolleyes:

So, yeah, unless you're feeding pineapple to the wildlife in your area, it's going to do nothing to deter him from eating that poop.

You'll have to order a stool guard to fit a greyhound muzzle...highly recommend the GEM site.

Edited by KennelMom

I feel fortunate that only one of my three is a poop eater. I tried putting the poop guard on the outside of the small muzzle, but she would mush some through the holes. I got a large muzzle and put the guard on the inside and she quit coming in with poop on the muzzle. I guess it was too hard to get that way. Good luck. My girl always wears a muzzle when she goes out--even if I'm right there. She is that quick to find any little nurdle and munch it it up :puke