What To Do After An Attack?

Guest pennmorgan

Guest Iceman41

I think your girl will forgive ya

Dogs don't take things personal

She will be back to her old self just like that.

I am sure that the location of were this happened was no option to let the greyhound go and run because of being hit buy a car correct?

I also have been run down by dogs when we have been out walking and I have just let go of the leash and ran right at the attacker and scared him off

My little dog and my grey ran off in opposite direction but stayed together till the coast was clear

But I

Live in Mayberry no traffic at all

Hey good luck and I would likevto see some pics of Olivia

I have posted video in this category of my girl

Look under well mannered greyhound

Guest BrindleBabes

If a loose dog ever attacked mine, my dog wouldn't have to try to defend itself, because *I* would defend it. I'd attack the attacking dog in any way possible, punch in the nose, kick in the side, whatever it took, until it stopped. And if that means the death of the other dog, so be it. Not saying I'd enjoy it or anything, but when it comes to self-defense, of myself or my family (which includes my dog), it's a fight to the death, if necessary.

Please be careful. I was told (by a reputable dog person) of someone in my area who was charged (and convicted) of animal abuse for defending their dog against an attacking dog. Apparently it's okay to say you were afraid for your own life, but not okay to say you were defending your dogs'.

I know, it didn't make sense to me either. I think most of us would've done the same thing, and to then be charged with animal cruelty is beyond adding insult to injury. :angryfire

How horrible. All of us dread something like that happening. It's perfectly OK to walk with a stick as a walking aid and I often have one of those telescopic hiking poles in my bag, it ha a tungsten tip for walking on rocks and could be a formidable weapon when used as a prod. A hickory walking stick with carved handle and all would also be acceptable. But as these attacks come out of nowhere it takes a while to bring a weapon into action.

I think that bad Pitt needs to be removed from the streets, even if it may cost the dog-walker their job, so doesn't it need to be reported?

To help your dog in the recovery period, print out Turid Rugass's short article here about Calming Signals. You watch for them and then reply in kind; dog thinks: thank goodness... she understands how I am feeling and isn't blaming me.

Guest BrindleBoy

Please be careful. I was told (by a reputable dog person) of someone in my area who was charged (and convicted) of animal abuse for defending their dog against an attacking dog. Apparently it's okay to say you were afraid for your own life, but not okay to say you were defending your dogs'.

I know, it didn't make sense to me either. I think most of us would've done the same thing, and to then be charged with animal cruelty is beyond adding insult to injury. :angryfire

Thanks for the heads up. That sounds about right in the ass-backwards legal world we live in these days.

1) Is there anything I can expect in terms of her reaction to other dogs?

2) How can I show her again that I am the pack leader and will protect her? Immediately after the attack when she was screaming, she gave me this look like "Why didn't you save me?" It was really one of the worst moments of my life.

3) How can I protect us from future similar incidents? Is there something I can carry to protect us? Or something I can do if I see another pit bull charging at us?

4) There are LOTS of idiot owners who think it's OK to have off leash dogs in this area - how do you suggest handling these people? I'm really going to have to resist the urge to hurl obscenities at them for being irresponsible pieces of #*$&.

Diesel been bitten 3 times by dogs running loose (we live in a rural area - some people here think the leash rules don't apply to them). He has bitten by a Labrador, a German Shepard mix and a Cocker Spaniel, so it's not just pit bulls that can be the problem - any breed can be aggressive without proper training. I have found that if the dog is intent on biting it's very difficult to stop it. I didn't even see the cocker spaniel coming - it was winter and dark - there are no street lights here, it made no noise as it approached. Diesel looked like a pirate for awhile until the fur grew back on his eyelids.

I now carry a telescopic walking stick - I have managed to stop 3 dogs from biting by simply poking them in the nose with it. One had to be hit really hard - twice - before it left us alone. If you can, walk with a partner, both Lise and I carry walking sticks when we walk our dogs. Lise was the one who managed to hit the latest aggressor, the thud was so loud that I thought she broke her wooden walking stick.

I did have difficulty with Diesel displaying aggression towards new non-greyhounds, I was part of that problem, without even realizing it I would become tense and draw him closer to me when I heard a dog barking. I worked with my favourite trainer - the same one I've used since I got Diesel - to help us work out our issues - first we introduced Diesel to each of Marion's well trained dogs first individually and then in groups. Then moved on to a group obedience class so Diesel and I got used to being around other not-so-well trained dogs.

I wouldn't suggest any kind of spray - do you really have time to check wind direction before spraying? A good gust of wind and I'd be more likely to spray myself and be no good to Diesel.

I hope you and your dog never have to deal with another attack,

Tina

Guest mirinaaronsmom

Aaron was attacked by a mastiff a couple of months after I adopted him. This dog just ran up and bit into the side of his rib cage. I was caught totally off guard and it happened so fast. I was kicking the dog and hitting him with the leash. Aaron was able to slip his collar and ran away while the owner retrieved his dog with no apology at all. I ran after Aaron, so afraid that he would get hit by a car and not knowing where he would go since I had had him such a short time. When I got home, he was sitting on the porch next to the door. When he saw me, he howled in pain, very different from the GSOD. I felt like I had let him down - I was supposed to protect him! I know exactly how you feel. But rest assured she forgives you and will love you just as much as she did before this incident.

I also was worried about how he would react to other dogs and he was his normal, friendly self. I was/am the one with the PTSD. I still get really scared when I see a loose dog and I know it transfers down the leash because Miri is reactive. I can't stop myself. She will bark and growl at loose dogs. Whenever I see a loose dog coming at us, I get between that dog and my dogs and I yell and spray (Direct Stop). I've never had a problem with the spray hitting me or my pups. So far it has stopped the charging dogs, although I don't think it would do any good against a determined pit bull.

I would definitely report any encounters, whether there is contact or not. At the very least to get it on record. If there are multiple reports of this particular dog, you may just save some other poor, unsuspecting pup.

I'm so sorry you and your girl had to go through this. It is an awful experience. I also hope the dog walker is a lot more careful in the future.

So sorry this happened to you and Olivia. Hugs to you both.

Maddie and I were attacked on our OWN property by a loose dog. Here in Charlotte, there is a leash law, this particular owner thought it did not apply to him. It was an early Saturday morning about 6 months after I got Maddie. We were in our own backyard walking to the end of it, saw the dog and his owner siting on a bench on the HOA property behind ours. Turned around and walked back to the house and before I knew it, the dog came charging and I threw myself in between the 2 dogs to protect Maddie. The other owner is calling for his dog (which did not listen to him) I am screaming and yelling at him to get his dog away from us and off my property. Called Animal Control and reported it right after it happened (as this is not the first time that this dog was off leash or charged someone) - AC came to the house, looked Maddie over (she has some scars from her racing days but the dog did not get her or me) and then went and talked to the owner) A few days later the owner is yelling at me as I called the "police on him" and I tried to explain to him that his dog attacked us and was off leash. His wife is taking cell phone photos of Maddie "peeing" and tells me to pick it up. Pick up what- she peed. They were a class act and got another dog, a little fluffy thing. They no longer live in the house as it was foreclosed on. I always wonder whay happened to the big dog as he lived in a crate in the garage, It probably would have been better if AC had taken the dog as he would have had a better life. That owner did not deserve to have a dog and that poor dog did not deserve to have a dumb owner like that. Two weeks after that happened, my fence went up in the backyard.

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest pennmorgan

Thanks for the continuing advice. I doubt if I can convince my better half to carry anything with us when he walks her, but I might bring some kind of small retractable item. I haven't seen Olivia over the weekend because I am out of town meeting my new niece (a silver lining!). But the vet says she's doing well in her healing and I will keep you posted!

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

I had a dog that became leash aggressive after 2 attacks. The second time took me completely by surprise, as it was another dog on a retractible leash that was retracted as they passed us, then the kid let the leash out and that dog U-turned and hit us from the rear. A complete surprise for me, my dog heard it coming right before it struck and pivoted quickly - not quite quick enough but no physical damage done except mentally to my dog. I had some chemical stuff in my fanny pac but neither time would I have had time to get it out, and get in position for spraying...Walking stick sounds like a good idea. (12-15 ft range is not much if the dog is running at you at 20 MPH (that is 30 feet per second) giving you 1/2 second to spray him)

Thanks for the continuing advice. I doubt if I can convince my better half to carry anything with us when he walks her, but I might bring some kind of small retractable item. I haven't seen Olivia over the weekend because I am out of town meeting my new niece (a silver lining!). But the vet says she's doing well in her healing and I will keep you posted!

Why do you need permission to carry something?

Guest pennmorgan

Oh, I don't need permission to carry anything - I doubt if he will carry anything, however.

Another update - I picked Olivia up from the vet today and she was SO happy to see me. She's definitely acting like her usual charming self. I've linked below to a picture of her - she looks a little pathetic, but she's doing great! No idea as to how she will react to other dogs yet, but I suppose we will find out in a few days (only quick potty breaks for now, so hopefully no dog encounters).

http://yfrog.com/18oicjj

Thanks!

Guest lynne893

Here in LA, our Timber was also attacked by a pitbull without provocation. We were walking down a residential street and a man with his (unleashed, no collar) pitbull were sitting in his front lawn and I didn't see them until it was too late. Timber and I walked past, and the dog ran after us and attacked her, resulting in many staples, surgery and a drainage tube. Fortunately the attack didn't last very long and the owner was able to get his dog off. He claimed his dog never did anything like that before, and I guess I believe him, but to me it engrained that some breeds are more dangerous than others. Period. I don't care what anyone says.

I faced the same questions as you... and the incident still haunts me, five years ago...

For a while, I carried a big stick with me while walking. Now days, I just hope I'm lucky and don't really carry anything extra.

We do stop at a good distance from other dog walkers if they seem irresponsible, distracted or have their dogs off leash and we'll tell them that ours aren't always friendly, please move to the side (as we also move to give distance while passing) or please leash your dog. We've become NOT SHY about asking people to obey the law and put the leash on.

It makes me crazy how people think it's their right to let their dogs roam off leash.

And the ones who claim their dogs are "trained" always seem to be the worst offenders!

Good luck... I look forward to reading others' responses.

Carry a cell phone too so you can call for help

This.

And program animal ambulance numbers into your phone in case it is ever a really bad attack or accident. There are at least two in the LA area.

Happened to one of my hounds recently. Animal Control's advice to me was not to expect sprays to work for any dog with a serious intent to bite.

Here is an example of various sizes of catch poles, snares, and bite poles: http://www.discountwildlifesupplies.com/store/AnimalHandling/CatchPolesAnimalGraspers/

Telescoping poles are nice if time allows for opening to full length. In a pinch, I like the previous suggestion of a lightweight PVC pipe. (I tried a golf club, but found it too cumbersome to hold with multiple hounds.) In our recent case, a stun device might have helped get the attacking dog off my hound's neck, if he stopped bouncing around so much.

I do keep animal control's # programmed in my cell phone. (We don't have a pet ambulance in our area, but good idea for those who do.)

I have recently used "Halt" and it worked very well. I believe the post office carriers have these. Anyway, it puts out an orange stream and I hit him on his muzzle. He immediately stopped running at us and started pawing his face...then headed back home. I really like Halt as it can clip on your belt or slip into your pocket. With shipping it costs about $8.00

I am very sorry this happened to Olivia and you but am glad she is back home on the mend. As to responding to your questions, the only true solution to dog attacks is avoidance if possible. Luckily we do not live in the city/suburbs and have a fenced backyard so no other dogs get near ours but we did for a while RV and spent a lot of time walking our pups (2 years). After DW lost her finger in a dog fight/attack, she has emotional wounds that cause her great fear of ANY loose dog. When we walked on the beach which we did multiple times a day, we would watch for any loose dogs no matter how far away and would turn and either go the other way or get off the beach. Too many people let their dogs run loose on a beaches and while we understand they want their pups to enjoy themselves, we have experienced some sudden attacks. This may be impossible for you based on where you live as in a city/suburb it's hard to get a decent walk in sometimes and not see a loose dog. As for a Pit or any other strong dog, not much will stop them if they want to attack other than a serious weapon. A stick of some sort is a good start and I know I would have a walking stick/cane that law enforcement would not have a problem with and would be considered legal but I would know how to use it if the time comes. I hope this does not happen again to you both.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest newbee

Twilight was attacked by German Shepard in June, also needed stitches. She withdrew and her anxiety level was very high it was impossible to walk her she would freeze and refused to walk, hide behind my bed or stayed in the bedroom all day. The vet suggested xanax 1mg twice a day. She has been on it for about a month & 1/2. My old Twilight is almost totally back. She is playing with her toys, starting to go for walks with little or no hesitation. We got together with some other Greyt friends at the dog park and she actually ran. Patience if that happens to Olivia, lots of love and time. That's what everyone at greytalk told me and that's what it took. Oh, and the xanax.

Guest Shermanator

The other dog's owner (who wasn't there at the time - it was a dog sitter) was extremely apologetic and has offered to pay for the bills ($1000).

Have you thought on this reporting it? The owner was apologetic and has offered to pay for the vet bills. They are trying to do right by you for the dog sitters mistake.

Turn the situation around. Your greyhound might have attacked a little fuzzy dog when you accidentally let the lead drop. Anything can happen to anyone at any given time. I really know nothing about LA but isn't walking your dog in downtown LA exposing your dog to danger.

Just my thought on the subject.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. REPORT IT. My neighbor had a rottie who tried to attack my neighbor's min pins. Super scary. He never reported it. 3 weeks later the rottie (who was 125 lbs, male and unaltered) attacked another neighbor's dog. This time it was serious. The rottie did significant damage to the other dog. It was bad. And scary. And, I got bit pretty badly in the hand during the attack while trying to help. (Several neighbors heard the attack, and came to help as well.) We were all very upset when we learned there was nothing animal control could do, since this was the 1st reported attack.

Edited by Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

My sweet bridge boy, Patton was attacked by a dog on a walk to came barreling out of his yard, and latched ointo Patton. It was terrifying. Patton's ear was almost taken off. The damn owner of the dog who attacked him was clueless. She actually had a small scratch on her hand, and accused Patton of biting her. (Note, she ran out in the middle of the attack, and did nothing to help. No way Patton could have gotten her, and if he had, there was no way he would have put a small scratch on her, he would have bit her while he was fighting for his life.)

1.) Her 'boyfriend' said he was a vet tech, and we didn't need to take Patton to the e-vet, it could wait until morning. (Um, no- all the skin aroud one of his sweet ears was completely shredded with major wounds, and he had a very deep puncture wound in his chest.) That's when DH made me go to the car and wait, since I went ballistic hearing that.

2.) The promised to pay. The next day when we tried to make contact, and subsequently for the next several months, they were very elusive. I ended up suing in small claims court. I won.

3.) Patton became VERY aggressive on his leash. I was terrified of him, and couldn't control him (he was 85 lbs.) One minute he was my sweet, goofy boy, happily trotting along, to Cujo. He'd lunge at another dog like he was launching out a starting box, all teeth and snarls. I hired a behaviorist who mainly taught me, I was the problem. I had to learn how to take control and learn his warning signs. We also got a martingale harness, and I had better control of him using the harness. If I had to grab onto him, I could grab onto this harness, at his center of gravity, rather than pulling on his neck trying to control him. I also learned his warning signs. I also was brutally honest with people. People would let their animals run up to Patton without even thinking twice, and I'd tell them he is leash aggressive, he bites. And I'd stand in front of Patton, to block. I got dirty looks, but kept everyone safe.

After a lot of work, Patton settled down, somewhat. He'd still bark at other dogs like Cujo on lead, but he learned to enjoy his walkies again.

I did not carry anything after the attack, I was too occupied trying to keep Patton's behavior in check (and also had Sherman with me.) However, in the wake of some recent attacks in my neighborhood, I am looking at some protection. In my experience with other people, I've heard some spray does not work. I do not want to carry a bat, I cannot handle that with walking 2 dogs.

I actually looking to purchase a stun gun or taser.

The other dog's owner (who wasn't there at the time - it was a dog sitter) was extremely apologetic and has offered to pay for the bills ($1000).

Have you thought on this reporting it? The owner was apologetic and has offered to pay for the vet bills. They are trying to do right by you for the dog sitters mistake.

Turn the situation around. Your greyhound might have attacked a little fuzzy dog when you accidentally let the lead drop. Anything can happen to anyone at any given time. I really know nothing about LA but isn't walking your dog in downtown LA exposing your dog to danger.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. REPORT IT. My neighbor had a rottie who tried to attack my neighbor's min pins. Super scary. He never reported it. 3 weeks later the rottie (who was 125 lbs, male and unaltered) attacked another neighbor's dog. This time it was serious. The rottie did significant damage to the other dog. It was bad. And scary. And, I got bit pretty badly in the hand during the attack while trying to help. (Several neighbors heard the attack, and came to help as well.) We were all very upset when we learned there was nothing animal control could do, since this was the 1st reported attack.

Edited by Shermanator

Thank you all for the advice so far. The other dog's owner (who wasn't there at the time - it was a dog sitter) was extremely apologetic and has offered to pay for the bills ($1000). I will certainly be reporting it and I think I'll pick up some kind of spray for now. Walking around the city I think it might not be a great idea to carry a stick or small weapon. I will definitely try to keep a positive attitude, but right now I feel like total garbage. *sigh*

I am so sorry this happened to you and Olivia, but glad to hear Olivia will be OK. After this happened to us, Fletcher, who wasn't great with other breeds before, became much more leash aggressive. Some dogs become more fearful. The best thing you can do for your dog is to try and have a positive, upbeat attitude, and not tense up when you see other dogs. I sat "try", because I know how difficult that is :rolleyes: I think a stick is probably the best defense, one long enough to keep some distance between the other dog and you (if possible) The bad thing about sprays is, they can blow back in your face, or your dog's. I have yelled, stomped my feet, even thrown a full bag of poop at one dog :lol You do whatever it takes, but, as you know, everything happens so fast!

I suppose it is too much to hope the other owner offered to pay your vet bills :unsure

I used to live in downtown Lansing and after a little frickin ankle biter tried attacking I kept my sjambok with me at all times...needless to say, NO ONE came near me when I was out walking. Even though I'm in a much better area of Lansing now, I'll continue to carry the sjambok because I have had a dog leave it's yard to follow mine, with the hair standing up on it's neck...the owner called it and it didn't listen to the owner, but as soon as I put a muzzle out towards it (it was my foster's first real walk so I had his muzzle) the dog backed up instantly. If anyone has a problem with you carrying a stick, then that's their issue...better to be safe.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

• 2 weeks later...

My experience taught me:

1. It is impossible to step in front of 3 dogs to defend them.

2. Do not count on the VOG to work. Chances are the attacker is high on cortisol and will not respond to the sound of a human voice, regardless of how loud or menacing.

3. Do not count on throwing "treats" at a dog he11 bent on attacking your dog(s) as a distraction, unless it's 50 pounds of frozen meat that will knock the attacker out cold.

4. With multiple dogs, sprays or clubs endanger your dog(s), too! The action is too fast and furious - the dog you want to hit or spray will not be in the position your brain is aiming at when the spray or blow lands. Same goes for kicking.

5. Report all attacks, even if it's your next door neighbor's dog. Make sure that all reports are filed under the same category if the dog is a repeat offender. If you ever go to court, the court may not recognize previous reports if they were for a "loose dog" and your're in court due to an "attack".

6. If you see a loose dog, take a photo. If you can, find the address of where the dog lives. Report a loose dog to AC accompanied with the photo. Some municipalities have a procedure/form for this purpose. If there is no support from local officials (leash laws are common, so there should be some recourse), take someone with you and speak to the owner stating that you have seen the dog loose, you have a photo proving it and will take the necessary precautions to protect your dog(s) should their dog attack yours. Stay calm, be brief. Follow up with a letter to the police, AC, the city council, the mayor or anyone in local government in order to go on record with your complaint and conversation with the owner.

My three dogs have been attacked by the same Boxer two times three years ago and all three became aggressive to all dogs afterwards. In March, 2010, I ended up with a broken pelvis when they pulled me over and dragged me across a two lane highway going after a loose terrier mix who did nothing more than the classic terrier "challenge" at night, from out of the shadows.

Due to a very complicated family situation, I was unable to have them "reconditioned" and the classic "distraction" conditioning would not have been appropriate with my "pack" situation. I read about a method which employs gradual, controlled confrontation, using the assumption that the "attack-first/ask-questions-later" response is more of an attempt to "scare" the attacker away. I have begun using it by not avoiding other dogs, but rather standing still and making my 3 realize that no matter what they do, their out of control actions are not going to make the other dog disappear. Please understand, this is a very slow process, and I take every precaution in gauging each situation for the safety of everyone involved. I have seen a marked improvement in their crazed response implementing this response. I find myself much more calm and under control, too. I used to turn around and head in the opposite direction, heart pounding, legs shaking when another dog came within view, even leashed and under the owner's control. Now, we're all "on guard" more than anything. There is still barking and the occasional lunging, but the negative reaction is probably 30% of what it was in March 2010.

Everyone's experiences are different, but my point is that all bets are off when walking more than one dog or being attacked by more than one dog. I guess I am fortunate that our AC is very responsive when it comes to leash law violators. I was told by an AC officer that they wish more people would report loose dogs and should I find myself in the same attack situation, I am free to use whatever means are available to me if I feel threatened or if I feel that my dogs are in danger.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

I'm sorry to read that your beautiful little girl was attacked, I'm just now seeing this as I was on vacation when this was posted. I walk my two in Elysian Park and also have lous of problems with indignant people who insist on letting their dogs off leash. Mine weren't physically harmed, but I ended up spraining my knee badly jumping in between them. When I got home I thought, "never again"and ordered a small stun pen. It is about 8" long, is rechargeable, claims to give a 1,000,000 volt shock and I put it on a wrist strap and carry it every day. I called the Notheast division of the LAPD, explained why I felt I needed it and they told me out was perfectly legal and were 100% supportive of me carrying it. I never walk them without it. I've worked with them to not be alarmed or afraid of the sound of it, I even tested it today a we were walloon home and they didn't even miss a step they are so ok with it.

I haven't had to use it in the 2 years I've had it, but I have been concerned enough to turn it on and have it at the ready just in case.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014