Amitriptyline Question... (Plus A Xanax One?)

JAJ2010

The one side effect of this medicine is insane compulsive food searching! She had the mild munchies on just the xanax, which was just amusing at times. But with this new medicine she just cannot seem to help herself. She's getting into trash, chewing in plastic containers, stealing food from us humans off our plates, sniffing for food outside, etc. All sorts of naughtiness! I'm going to increase her snacks throughout the day and add in a bunch of green beans in with her dinner to fluff that up in bulk. Hopefully her belly will regulate soon and it's just an initial side effect. Maybe we need to add in some breakfast too..

------

Jessica

I can't remember if I said this earlier. I know they say it takes time for Elavil to build up in their system, but my vet told me that while it does build, it can also have a pretty immediate effect (I believe she felt this was more the case with Elavil over Chlomicalm but I could be mistaken about that part). Anyway, we started Faith on 50 mg 2x/day on a Friday evening and then on Saturday I increased the dose. On Sunday I could see a notable difference. Do I think it's continued to build and have a greater effect, probably, but we definitely saw some immediate positive changes. It was pretty much like magic. All of this to say, yes, you're probably seeing the effects of the new med. I'm glad it's working for your girl! I know what a relief that can be.

I actually thought Elavil decreased appetite, but maybe I'm misremembering. The idea is to wean her off of the Xanax once the Elavil kicks in completely, right? Maybe you'll see that behavior go away once she's not on teh combo, or once she has a chance to adjust to the new meds. I think healthy snacks throughout the day are a good idea in the meantime.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Well her appetite definitely isn't decreasing! :lol She is on the 50mg/twice a day dose. What did you increase the dose to? I was not prepared for results this quickly... So not complaining about that! I'm still so excited!

We saw the neighbor again last night and she didn't walk up to him, but then she wasn't shaking like a vibrator, so I'll take it! Baby steps... In the scheme of things I don't care if strangers ever get to pet her! As long as she's happy and not scared.

------

Jessica

Well her appetite definitely isn't decreasing! :lol She is on the 50mg/twice a day dose. What did you increase the dose to? I was not prepared for results this quickly... So not complaining about that! I'm still so excited!

We saw the neighbor again last night and she didn't walk up to him, but then she wasn't shaking like a vibrator, so I'll take it! Baby steps... In the scheme of things I don't care if strangers ever get to pet her! As long as she's happy and not scared.

We doubled it to 100 mg 2x/day. I was a little concerned about potential side effects at that dose for her (she's just under 60 lbs), but I haven't seen any at all. This medication has truly been a miracle worker for her. I'm hoping in another week or two that we can try weaning her down to a lower dose since we're having success with her SA issues, but I haven't discussed it with the vet yet.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

oh Wow! Sunshine is approx 56-57lbs (Or at least she was before her binging activities :rolleyes: Good to know that we can maybe increase the dosage to see if that works before moving to another med. Or maybe this dose will work for her :) Thanks so much for all of these ideas to talk to the vet about!

------

Jessica