Housebreaking Help! (Long)

Guest MarvinsMom

Guest MarvinsMom

Hi guys!

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks and we just brought home our new baby, Marvin a week ago today.

First, the good things...we have a 7 year old and a cat. Marvin is doing great with both. He cries a little when he sees the kitty, but that's it and stops with a good "eh!" We love him. LOVE. It didn't take long. He's learning to trust us, learning to play just a little bit and is just so sweet. We've never had a grey before and don't have any experience with one. We had a great mutt for years but it's been almost 2 years since we had to put her to sleep.

OK so all that said, I need help. Real help. Housebreaking is not going well. I think we're doing all the right things. We let him out immediately after he gets out of his crate when we get up in the am or home from work, about an hour after a meal. and some other times when it seems appropriate. We've closed off rooms so he can't go in them and pee (did it in the office, our bedroom) and we follow him when he gets up and starts to go somewhere else.

There were a couple of times in the first few days he just didn't get it and/or couldn't hold it and I get that. I can't tell when he's just getting up to go investigate or going to go pee. And what do I do? We praise him heavily when he goes out to potty and does it succesfully, but I'm not sure he's making the connection to not pee in the house.

I know it's been only a week, but I can't pretend I'm not stressed about it and need your help. we LOVE him,but can't have a dog that pees in the house. We'll do what it takes, but I need some realistic timing; I know all dogs are different, but how long should I expect this? How do we stop it? And we're trying to, but it's hard to get up and follow the dog just because he gets up. Plus I don't want him to get a complex that he can't go into another room or off of his bed without someone following him :) I should mention that he's really good about knowing when we take him outside to that certain place he knows it's to do his business.

On all positive notes, he mastered the stairs, is good in his crate at night (not a peep!) and is just so sweet. We can't wait to see what his real personality is like when he's even more comfortable knowing he's home for good. This peeing stuff, though :blush

Thanks for reading and I look forward to some tips and reassurance that he'll get better. He WILL get better, right?? :P

Deb (Marvin's mom)

How often do you take him out during the day?

I take a new dog out (and make sure they do something):

- First thing in the morning (no more than 8 hours after "last out" at night)

- Immediately before every meal

- Immediately after every meal

- @ 10-15 minutes after something exciting happens (play session, visitor to the house, new furniture delivered, barking crazily at a cat he saw through the window)

- Immediately before leaving the house without the dog

- Immediately upon coming home

- Last thing at night

- Except for overnight, every 1.5 hours if the above doesn't cover it, gradually stretching out to @ every 4-5 hours as he proves he doesn't need to go so often

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

You have to treat him EXACTLY as if he's a puppy. He has no clue that he's supposed to ASK for anything. He's basically been waited on hand and foot his entire life thusfar, and never had to make a decision.

You MUST keep him in sight at all times for now. If you don't want to follow him, keep him on a leash wherever you go in the house. I know it sounds extreme, but if you're stressed about this after a week...you really want to use this 3-day weekend to your advantage. I believe this is known as the umbilical cord method?

Batmom's schedule is spot on.

Don't despair--it won't last forever! But this really is a prime time for you to make an impression on Marvin.

And you need to make sure you have cleaned and cleaned and cleaned the places he's already gone--and make them inaccessible if possible. If you really don't want to try the leash thing, then get baby gates and confine him to whatever room you're in and don't let up. Once he's got it, he's got it.

And don't expect his "signal" to be what you're expecting--you know, going to the door and whining. For my dog, his signals is picking up his stuffy and trotting randomly around the condo. :blink: Took me a while to figure that out, believe me!

My last dog went to the door, looked at his leash, looked at me, message received. Remember--EVERYTHING is new to him about being in a house, so consider the stress he's feeling trying to figure this all out, and make it as easy for him as possible!

Good luck! You can do it!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest mbfilby

Welcome to greytalk Deb!!

First you need to determine if he is marking or peeing. I assume he is peeing.

Since you are using the crate, it should be pretty straight forward. When you take him out make sure he goes. This could be a test of wills but immediately after he goes give praise, go in the house and give treats.

When in the house, you need to limit his space, and do follow him if he leaves the room. It is important to catch him in the act of trying to go, and give a correction (clap hands and stern NO). Take him outside, make sure he goes, praise, in the house, treats..

Every dog is different, but our Cy who is not the brightest bulb on the tree caught on after two or three corrections.

It sounds like you're getting him on a good solid schedule. The "some other times when it seems appropriate" how long between these ones? Greys thrive on schedules~ With my Sammi, you could set your watch by her meals and if you're even 5 minutes late, somehow she can tell time and will be bugging you incessantly until dinner is served. (Daylight savings screws her up tho) And 30 minutes after each meal, if you aren't watching the clock, she is. She knows that my morning alarm going off is a false alarm the first time (snooze button), but the next one, she is up and ready to roll. And a single paw holding all 78 pounds on your kidneys does give you the motivation to get out of bed.

Anyways....

How much of the house is closed off atm? When we first adopted Sammi, she had run of the living room first, then LR+ my bedroom, then LR BR + Dining Room, and so on. We gradually opened up her "den" as she became accustomed to each part of the house being still the same den/home and to treat it as such. New home + a lot of space to figure out + new people/animals (might) = nerves.

Another thought~ He's only been home a week. Have you been to the vet yet for his wellness check up? Might want to have them check for a UTI or bladder infection. That can also cause unable to hold it and frequent peeing.

ETA~ yes, their signals can range from obvious to frustratingly subtle. As I said above, they thrive on schedules! Don't wait for a new grey to tell you they have to go out to potty. They were raised on schedules and never had to tell someone they had to go. Once you get a schedule down, signals/signs will emerge.

Sammi's is pretty easy (5 years later) to interpret. If she is standing practically on me (or anyone in the household that has taken her out before) all I/they have to do is ask her, "Do you have to go potty?" and her tail starts winding up like a propeller. A glance at the clock tells me that yes, this is the "potty time-frame". Usually, tho, I just walk over to her leash within the time-frame and she will come up to me.

As for treats when they go, a word of advice, only give the treats WHEN they have actually produced something outside. Sammi had a period of time where she would act like she was going to BURST at the seams if we didnt get outside NOW. She was going to explode. Rush her outside.... and nothing. Then come in and she would statue in front of the treat shelf expectantly. <_< She even tried changing it up to actually squatting like she was going, I dubbed it the "ghost squat". :rolleyes: She finally caught on that she wasn't fooling anyone and actually had to produce something outside to get the treat inside.

Edited by Gryffenne

And don't expect his "signal" to be what you're expecting--you know, going to the door and whining. For my dog, his signals is picking up his stuffy and trotting randomly around the condo. :blink: Took me a while to figure that out, believe me!

First off, let me say that I sympathize with you about this issue. One of Katie's biggest fears when I got her was "being outside", so I had to deal with a dog who really wanted to potty outside, but often was too scared to, resulting in a dog that would pace out to the yard/back inside, and often wind up going inside because it was too spooky to go outside. Constantly cleaning up does get frustrating!

However, she does now seem to be "house broken". But her signals are subtle, and it's partly that I think we have settled on a turn-out schedule that works for her. She has two signals that she needs to go out: coming and standing quietly by my chair (and you can guess how long it took me to figure that one out!) or running around the house extra-playful (too be fair, I'm not sure if that's a signal, or just that being playful makes them need to go, but I figure it counts).

Mostly I just wanted to say that if my shy little "the world is going to eat me" girl can get it, your dog will too.

Rebecca

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest MarvinsMom

First, thanks for the replies. I'm very greytful (ha! I love that :lol )to be able to use you guys as a resource. I've learned so much just pouring over these threads. I have to get a good pic of Marvin and put it in my siggie.

what you guys are saying sounds like what we're trying but I guess we're both expecting too much and just not used to having to potty train! I think I'm just worried and need some assurance (I ALWAYS need assurance) that he'll catch on. My first pet was a cat I adored and loved him until the end but he was a very bad cat and really destroyed our house and we had to replace furniture, carpet, floors, you name it. No matter what, I couldn't give him up, so I'm afraid in my brand new house that'll happen again.

We're trying hard to do the right thing, after meals, play, sleep and the regular morning/home from work. We're doing potty separate from walking. And you're all right, I'm so used to our old dog going to the dog and wagging her tail when she needed to go, despite what I know in my head I guess I still expect that. And know it's wrong.

Ok, so we'll be more diligent, we'll umbilical cord him and do the schedule, but here are two more questions:

If we tether him to us, do I do that as soon as he gets up from a nap (like a typical grey, he knows his beds and uses them :P ) and just make sure we're attached until next time he lays down?

and I understand but still don't completely understand the schedule. I get that they are used to and need schedules, but then if we take him out all the time after certain things, how does that stop? I mean, it does, right? We can't possibly take him out everytime he plays, or whatever. Right??

Ok, sorry for rambling. It's what I do.

Thanks again guys...you guys are GREYT!

Deb

and I understand but still don't completely understand the schedule. I get that they are used to and need schedules, but then if we take him out all the time after certain things, how does that stop? I mean, it does, right? We can't possibly take him out everytime he plays, or whatever. Right??

Make note of which times he is going to the bathroom. The "wasted" trips outside can eventually be eliminated. ("wasted" meaning they aren't walks and they aren't potty breaks. They are just when the two of you stand there staring at each other, both waiting for something to happen)

Also, if one trip out is #1 or #2 and then right back in... then a short time later, another trip outside produces the other, try keeping him out til both are completed in the same trip. Sometimes, right after a pee break, it takes a bit of walking and sniffing to get #2 moving. And vice versa. In the morning, Sammi is notorious for going #2 and then forgetting she has a full bladder and wants to come in because she knows breakfast awaits. Another quick tour of the yard triggers her memory :)

Once you figure out when they need to go/you want them to go, you can cut down on the trips outside. You will also be able to start picking up on those subtle signals that they give for other times. Katie's schedule is morning when she gets up, lunch time, when I get home from work, and before bed. And I am pondering phasing out the lunch one, since she doesn't seem to "need" it (i.e., she goes, but only because I get her out there and give the cue, not like she is acting like she needs to go).... but then I think of my somewhat erratic work schedule and whether it would be fair to ask her to hold it for possibly 12 hours on some days. So I am undecided on doing that yet. Adding a cue is another thing to consider. It lets the dog know what you expect on this trip out versus a play trip.

You will probably still need to potty after an intense play or training session. Mental and physical exertion signals the body that it needs to eliminate, so it's natural for your dog to need to go out after doing either.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Make note of which times he is going to the bathroom. The "wasted" trips outside can eventually be eliminated. ("wasted" meaning they aren't walks and they aren't potty breaks. They are just when the two of you stand there staring at each other, both waiting for something to happen)

Also, if one trip out is #1 or #2 and then right back in... then a short time later, another trip outside produces the other, try keeping him out til both are completed in the same trip. Sometimes, right after a pee break, it takes a bit of walking and sniffing to get #2 moving. And vice versa. In the morning, Sammi is notorious for going #2 and then forgetting she has a full bladder and wants to come in because she knows breakfast awaits. Another quick tour of the yard triggers her memory :)

Excellent advice!

Some dogs HAVE to go immediately after they eat. My dog likes to go about 30-45 minutes after he eats. You'll have to figure out which it is for your guy, but for NOW, more is better.

Once he figures out he's supposed to go outside, and once you figure out his signal, you won't have to take him out after every nap, for example, 'cause if he needs to go, he'll let you know. Since most Greyhounds are all about sleeping, you may find that before too long, he's asleep a LOT!

Here's my Mon-Fri schedule with George. Bear in mind I have no yard and live alone with him, so every outing is a leash outing.

1) Time to get up. I pull on my "dog pants" and put on shoes and out we go. I don't even go to the bathroom, that's how important it is for MY dog to go immediately!

2) Inside, I feed him. Have some coffee, get my upper body ready for the office. About 30 minutes since we got up, and out we go for our 40 minute walk. Yes. I said 40 minute walk. Before work. Every day. Rain or shine. :blink:

3) Return home. Get lower body ready. A bit more coffee. Then I give him his Kong, and off I go to sit in my windowless cubicle all day pretending I'm interested in what I'm doing. :P

4) I arrive home. I RUN up the stairs (arthritis permitting), throw my purse on the floor, admire the leaping, twirling, smiling beast who is dancing around, snap his leash on, and get him outside FAST. Let him piddle and sniff for a bit. Talk about our day, etc.

5) Back inside. Then we have "George time" where he gets my undivided attention until he's had enough and wants dinner. Feed him.

6) One hour later, out we go for piddles and sniffs, and a poop if he did not going during our #4 trip.

7) One last trip outside before bedtime (which for us is early since #1 on this list is at 5:20 AM).

That's it! And as someone else said, if George can get it, ANY DOG can. Mind you, we have had an ongoing health issue which has caused all kinds of urinary frustrations...that's another story!

It makes me laugh now, thinking about the time he was prancing around with his stuffy, and I was saying "Oh, you're so handsome! Yes, I'm watching you! Yes, you're cute!" and he finally stopped, looked right at me, and peed next to the door! I couldn't BELIEVE he actually expected me to get "I have to go outside and pee" from prancing with a stuffy! My previous dog was SO smart and there was never any doubt what he was trying to communicate to me, no matter what the issue. But I got him when he was a puppy, and it's very different from adopting a five year old racer (George was five when I got him--or close to it anyway).

We all know what you're going through!

Oh, and in case you're not already doing it, I find saying something like "Let's go tinkle" and "Time to go potty" and such helps. Then when they produce, you can squeal "Good tinkle!!" and all! :lol

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

i would try the tether method, just move the bed next to the chair you are going to sit on. if you are in the kitchen, keep him w/ you, w/ the gate closed, tethered unless your kitchen is as small as mine(6x9'). it's a good place to teach manners and that food is to be left alone, stop counter surfing before it starts.

batmom's schedule is perfect. i would stick w/ it and give him a special treat every time he "does his business". diced hot dogs are excellent for that.

you have only had him a week, so as mentioned in another post have his urine checked, but beware...many of the pups have loose stools as they transition into their new homes. it's often a combo of food/environment changes and often the junk(bacteria) in their intestines from kennel living. does your dog need to be wormed again? usually it's 2 wormings in a row and that can upset their stomach. but if he is next to you when he is not in his crate you will pick up on his needs. it's sorta like reading their needs and directing them into a schedule.if you stick with it, it's just easier for everyone.

so, clean diligently(nature's miracle is good stuff), use the leash(keep it next to the crate so you can find it), have a pair of slip on shoes at the door and maybe leggings to throw on and out like lightening as batmom has outlines. that is basically the schedule i keep w/ a new dog in the house. i run out w/ my bathrobe on in the morning, who cares...i don't the dog is getting house broken...and it give me a reason to buy a new bathrobe.

Guest HHHounds

We adopted Snoopy in June fresh off the track - he was housebroken for the most part, but wanted to mark areas of the house. We kept a close eye on him until he could be trusted on the main floor of the house, then we moved to the finished basement - He is now trustowrthy albeit supervised on two levels of the house. I need to work on the one remaining floor.

I try to spend time in the area when I closely watch him and let him lay down while I do things. My thought is that he would not mark in his den so I have to make him see that the house is his den... this has worked with our previous greys. It takes time and energy but it is worth it!

We have been so fortunate that we have never had to worry about housetraining very much. Summit was a bounce and was already trained when we got him. Before him we had a foster boy straight off the track that we did have to train, but he really gave us no trouble at all. With our foster we did exactly as everyone is saying. First thing in the morning I let him out of his crate and we went out right away. I tried to make it home at lunch if I was going to be at school until 5:30, and then regardless of what time when I got home I let him out of his crate and took him outside right away. When we were home on weekends and in the evenings we took him out every hour or two. We only had one accident which happened the very first night we had him. It was no one's fault really. We had taken him around the block when we got home with him and he peed. But it was past midnight by the time we got home with him so since he peed a few times we took him inside to give him a tour of the apartment and show him his crate. Well, he took a #2 on the kitchen floor. So while I cleaned that up, BF took him right back outside. Never had a problem with him after that.

Also, I'm not sure if this is more common with the boys or just my boy, but he never asks to go out. He never seems to HAVE to go out. I take him out 3 times a day (sometimes more if it's a weekend) and that's fine with him. The boy has an iron bladder. Sometimes I have to insist that he gets off the bed for last call.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest MarvinsMom

Thanks everybody. I'm still so frustrated. Marvin had no accidents yesterday, but I also let him out just about 1000 times, every single time he got up. This morning he had an accident in the dining room. It was about 20 minutes after I'd already gotten him out to pee :(

I just don't think he makes the connection that he can't pee in the house. My worry is that he never will. He doesn't know his name yet, which is also frustrating...we say it often and with praise and pets only, not even a perk when we say it. If he can't get his name in a week, how's he going to learn to pee outside?? I love him, but this is bad. Do we really have to expect to take him out every time he stands up? We have rooms closed off, follow him when he gets up (I was following to the dining room and he just looked at me and did it).

On a positive note, he's so sweet, he played a bit this morning with his stuffies, that was just ADORABLE. He's totally made it into my heart, but if he can't get this...I just need reassurance, I guess.

Marvin had no accidents yesterday, but I also let him out just about 1000 times, every single time he got up. This morning he had an accident in the dining room. It was about 20 minutes after I'd already gotten him out to pee :(

I just don't think he makes the connection that he can't pee in the house. My worry is that he never will. He doesn't know his name yet, which is also frustrating...we say it often and with praise and pets only, not even a perk when we say it. If he can't get his name in a week, how's he going to learn to pee outside?? I love him, but this is bad. Do we really have to expect to take him out every time he stands up?

Do you have a fenced yard or do you leash-walk? If fenced yard, I would recommend always watching to make sure he goes when you let him out. At major times of day -- first thing in the morning, after a meal, last thing at night -- I usually want the boys to go at least twice, so they get good and empty.

If you feel he is having to go an exceptional number of times, it never hurts to take a sample to the vet (first of the morning urine is best; refrigerate if you can't get it to the vet within an hour) and get a urinalysis.

Have never had one who didn't get it :) .

Learning his name: Takes a little time. Easiest is to position yourself near him, say his name brightly and cheerfully, and treat the second he looks at you :) .

Could be he is still overwhelmed by the newness of your home, so lessons are taking a bit longer to sink in.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest MarvinsMom

We leash walk, and I have to say, he's great about knowing where to go outside. Basically there's an empty field across the street from us and he knows to do his business when we go out and almost immediately. Thankfully that hasn't been an issue!

I just posted about finding a vet that's greyhound savvy and we're going to get him in to get checked over in the next week. I doubt it's a urine infection (although you never know), I think he just doesn't get that our house is his den.

I'm sorry I'm being obnoxious guys, I just love him and want this to work!

Regarding Marvin responding to his name: Annie, after having had her name since May, often doesn't respond to it. Oh she knows it, alright, but if she's feeling stubborn, she will ignore anybody who uses it. I don't think a week is very long to learn a new name or be housebroken. This is so new to your boy. His mind is taking in all sorts of new smells, new sights, new people, new furniture, new "yes" and "no." Hang in...it will get better.

I've fostered quite a few greyhounds and it's common that new greyhounds "don't get it yet". They are new in a house, everything is strange, routines are different, food is different and so on and they really do not know how they fit in. But, with all the greyhounds that I have fostered there comes the day when they "get it" - some just take longer than others. All of a sudden they know the routines. They know they are supposed to go outside, what time food comes, what time to go to sleep, and time to get up.

Good Luck

At key times of day, might try walking him an extra 3-5 minutes after he pees, to see if he has some more in him. You don't have to go far, just around in a circle so he gets a chance to do some more sniffs and feel motivated. An empty dog is a good dog :) .

Are you using a crate with him? If so you can also crate him sometimes while you're home but can't supervise. Then he has no opportunity to have an accident. When you let him out of the crate take him right outside to pee.

Also, if he peed just 20 minutes after being out, is it possible that he was marking as opposed to relieving himself? You said he looked at you and then peed. What was your reaction? Catching them in the act is your one best chance of really helping them "get it". Clap your hands or say "HEY!" to get his attention (and hopefully stop him mid-pee) then take him directly outside and praise, praise, praise when he goes. Don't come back in until he has done something. While he's out have the other person clean up with an enzyme cleaner to remove all scent. I have been told/read that the dog should not see you cleaning up the mess.

A week is not very long for a dog to learn its name. We had our foster for 3 weeks and he never knew his name... which was just as well because then of course his name was changed when he went to his forever home. Our boy was a bounce and was named Dexter. We just started calling him Summit and he picked up on that pretty quick... but not in a week. A week is not very long for a new dog who has never had to respond to a name or learn other commands to know you're talking to him.

They all get it. Don't worry. Unless there is a medical reason, he will get it. It just may take him a little longer than some of the others.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest MarvinsMom

You guys are so awesome. Thank you

I'm as greytful to have the support as I am the advice.

You're all right, a week isn't very long and I'm asking a lot. I'm just anxious and nervous. As long as you guys say he'll get it, I'll try to remind myself

On a positive note, he played some tonight and my god it was cute! I keep forgetting they're different, everything is new, even playing, so it was sheer delight to see him grab a stuffy and run to get it and run back to bed with it. And then we stole it from him and he didn't know what to do :-)

Guest krashkon

when you do take out for toilet always use a word you you want the dog too assocaite with going too the toilet . eg as he/she goes too wee say toilet or any word you wish too use , so this way when you say toilet they will go on command . good luck

Guest iconsmum

How often do you take him out during the day?

I take a new dog out (and make sure they do something):

- First thing in the morning (no more than 8 hours after "last out" at night)

- Immediately before every meal

- Immediately after every meal

- @ 10-15 minutes after something exciting happens (play session, visitor to the house, new furniture delivered, barking crazily at a cat he saw through the window)

- Immediately before leaving the house without the dog

- Immediately upon coming home

- Last thing at night

- Except for overnight, every 1.5 hours if the above doesn't cover it, gradually stretching out to @ every 4-5 hours as he proves he doesn't need to go so often

I do exactly the same thing and, if it's a new dog to me, he stays tethered to me on an eight-foot light nylon drop line for at least two weeks - and no wandering alone into other rooms, that's for sure. You have to make sure he doesn't lift his leg in your house so he has no memory of ever peeing inside.

edited - keyboard dying

Edited by iconsmum

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I hope this isn't the case, but is it possible that he is having hearing problems? I was talking with a friend at the dog park last weekend and she said they had a lot of trouble house-training their Boston Terrier. It turned out that he is deaf, so when he looked at her and lifted his leg, he had no idea she was yelling 'NO' to him. She had to start using signs to teach him and then he learned quickly. Since you said he doesn't recognize his name, I was wondering if this might be a possibility. Does he respond to loud noises or when you clap your hands?

Guest MarvinsMom

Hm, interesting question about hearing. I'll have to double check when he wakes up, but I think he can, he usually responds to a command when we correct him, but that's louder than we normally speak.

He still doesn't respond to his name and doesn't seem to get the difference between potty outside vs inside (my hubby is not as onboard with the tether thing as I am), but I'm trying not to give him the chance. We're taking a lots of trips outside! He's such a sweetie.

Thanks for the tip, I'll check!