Play-Biting

Guest SupersMom

Guest SupersMom

Hello,

Our baby girl has been settling in with us for a few weeks now, and is starting to come out of her shy shell. One thing I've noticed recently is that when she gets excited playing with us, she will mouth, and nit on us. It's kind of like play biting, on the hands, arms. She also grunts, snorts, and wiggles when playing. Is this mouthing, or play-biting innocent, or a pre-cursor to bad things?

We have no children, and don't typically have children around. Additionally, the mouthing/biting has never been hard, no increased in intensity. It seems very playful, but I am not 100% that it is totally innocent.

Other behaviors: she tests us a bit with going outside, not wanting to go out on wet grass especially in the morning, and generally avoids her crate. She loves laying on the couch, and her bed. She loves her toys, especially the stuffies and squeakies. She has also recently not wanted to come with us on car rides lately.

Is this play biting/mouthing normal? appropriate?

Our girl is 3, and her last race was in June. We've had her for almost a month.

Thanks!

Perfectly normal behavior. If you notice a change in intensity and she starts to hurt you, a little ouch in a sharp tone will go far to stop it. The stubborness about the wet grass is a greyhound thing. They think they will melt if they get wet. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest SupersMom

The wet grass stubbornness is massively inconvenient in SWFL. I have to leave for work by 7am, and the grass is always wet. I can't just let her not potty before I leave for work!

Playing with her is hugely fun. She will let me kiss her right on the nose, and she will come up and kiss me the same way...then wiggling her head under an arm, nitting and mouthing.

Guest sheila

I think she means it in the best possible way. She is trying to play with you and show you affection. I think it's sooo sweet. At the same time when my dogs do this I feel that I have to discourage it because if they do it to someone else it could be mis understood. When they do it I will give a sharp, 'EH!' and push their mouth away from me and stop being affectionate with them or playing. Mostly this works except for my girl Jane. Every now and then she just can't resist reaching up under my arm and giving me a quick pinch on my arm or sometimes my leg.

It took Joseph awhile to get used to going on the wet grass. To this day, if his feet get wet he has to clean them off as soon as possible ... by licking, of course :rofl . But. I think there were a few times I had to leash him up to get him out there. Then he learned to steel himself and do it on his own.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mbfilby

Our Myka is just the same, and will in fact take your hand in her mouth if you are petting the other hounds. It's all in play. We enjoy it and do not discourage, but it is up to you if you want the behavior to continue.

No one told my dog he's not supposed to like wet grass. Dang, I hope he doesn't read this...

If it's an issue, you might just have to put her on a leash and take her for a walk--even if it's only around the yard, because of course you can't just leave without her doing her business!

As to the nitting--George did it when first got him, but he stopped on his own. He also stole laundry for the first month, and stopped that on his own too. I found both things cute, and since I am also childless, it didn't concern me.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest SupersMom

We like it, and she's never attempting to do it around others. In public she will only offer licks and sniffs. If she did it around anyone else I'd have more concerns...but I do want to make sure there is no bad intent with it. Everyone seems to love her anywhere we take her. Her doggie report cards read "Top Dog" when we return from the vet.

Thanks for the feedback!

I just brought home a 2 yr old, and she is very mouthy, with me and with the other dogs.It's all in play but I don't let her get too rough with me and I let the other dogs tell her when she needs to stop with them. And so far, this has worked well.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Take her out in the wet grass and tell her "potty" or whatever word you want to use. Have treats in your pocket and as soon as she potties tell her "good potty" and when she finishes give her a treat. She will soon figure out that the sooner she does her business the sooner she will get her treat.

A word of caution: as soon as my dogs figured this out they were asking to go potty and looking for treats even when they squatted and didn't do anything! :lol

Your girl sounds adorable and like she is adjusting beautifully. Only you can decide if you want her to continue with the nitting.

Good luck,

june

Guest SupersMom

Super hasn't stolen anything other than food the husband has left out at snout level. No missing socks, remotes, or coffee table randomness.

When she goes potty she is great about it, will go right out, at the back of the yard (minimizing landmines) and go. We praise every time. She isn't very treat motivated though, or food motivated for that matter. When she is stubborn though, it is horrible trying to get her done before I have to leave.

Guest Swifthounds

I don't have a nitter and I've always been of the school that a dog should never, but never, have their mouth on you.

:nod

I've had nitters and air nitters both, and I condition them not to nit people, ever. It may be cute and you may not have kids, but eventually, you'll fall victim to the desire to invite people over or take your new hound in public and you don't want to learn the hard way that someone else mistakes nitting for a bite.

Re: wet grass. Now is the time to decide what behaviors you want and don't want and arty setting the ground rules. Wet grass is a reality and hounds get over it - but only if you convey that you expect them to.

Guest BrianRke

Frank is very "mouthy" too. Sometimes he will even grab my hand (lightly) and try to direct me somewhere. Of course, I never do what he wants or he might think he's the boss. :)

Guest Wasserbuffel

Jayne will play bite and nit me. She and I play pretty roughly but she's careful with her teeth - her claws are are entirely another matter! I don't think she's going to randomly start chomping on strangers because I allow it with me. She only bites me when we're actively playing and it's only me she'll do it with. DH can play with her but even if he entices her to do so, she won't lay tooth to him.

I don't have a nitter and I've always been of the school that a dog should never, but never, have their mouth on you.

I agree. I don't accept mouthy behaviour from a little puppy, I certainly won't allow it from my 75 lb greyhound. Summit rarely gets mouthy, it's only when he gets REALLY excited which is usually in the morning when I get up that he may occasionally forget himself. I give a sharp "Eh eh" and usually cross my arms with my hands in my armpits and look away. Alternatively I give him something acceptable to mouth such as a toy... but he really has no interest in toys so mostly I just withdraw my attention for a moment.

While it may be cute and harmless and she may only do it to you right now... that doesn't mean it will stay that way. She's just getting to know you and come out of her shell. I imagine she doesn't do this to other people because she doesn't really know them. But if you were to have the same friends over again and again, who like to give her attention, eventually she's going to get comfortable enough with them to and try to nit them. And what happens when your friends start having children and bringing them around. I know she means well, but to me a dog's teeth should never touch human skin and we should find other ways to play with our dogs. Just my thoughts.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Avisher224

As a fellow FL greyhound owner, I completely understand the need for your hound to go out when you need them to- despite the weather/circumstances. Two things that helped me (and my hound Orion):

1- positive reinforcement with treats- I did this for a couple weeks (no matter what the weather) and he really got the idea. Now, he's so well trained that he'll squeeze out anything he has so he can get his treat!

2- invest in a raincoat! A lot of non-grey people have mocked me for having a raincoat for my dog, but it has saved me from being late to work or having to spend my lunch hour driving back to forth to let out the dog on countless occasions! He will flat out REFUSE to go out if it's doing anything more than sprinkling but with his raincoat, he'll at least quickly venture out to do his business. I ordered mine from Maine Greyhounds (greyhoundcoats.com) and it was worth the $40 from day 1.

Play biting is perfectly normal behaviour and is a sign of affection and trust. The only time I discourage it is when the teeth nip a bit too hard and then a sharp 'ouch' or a yelp like a pup is enough to stop them in their tracks, because they don't intend harm. This is absolutely not linked to aggression, quite the opposite.

Incidentally, I've had several greyhounds who have done this, including a therapy dog. Not one of them attempted to do it to visitors, or children who stopped to pet them, not ever. It's reserved for people they love, and for playful moments, in my experience. Renie never attempted to play bite or air snap on a therapy visit, either. :)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest iconsmum

Play biting is perfectly normal behaviour and is a sign of affection and trust. The only time I discourage it is when the teeth nip a bit too hard and then a sharp 'ouch' or a yelp like a pup is enough to stop them in their tracks, because they don't intend harm. This is absolutely not linked to aggression, quite the opposite.

Incidentally, I've had several greyhounds who have done this, including a therapy dog. Not one of them attempted to do it to visitors, or children who stopped to pet them, not ever. It's reserved for people they love, and for playful moments, in my experience. Renie never attempted to play bite or air snap on a therapy visit, either. :)

Totally agree with this.

You indicated she may not be treat oriented. I had to find some really high-value treats for Ben so maybe you just haven't found the right treat yet. Secondly, I found that if I want Ben to pee, (he doesn't like to pee in our yard so I have to take him out the back to the park), I won't take a treat with me because he won't pee if I have a treat with me until he gets the treat first. However, if I don't take treats with me, he quickly pees so he can go back in the house and get his treat.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross