Garlic Pills For Tick Repellent?

Guest Amy_Bee

Guest Amy_Bee

I've been taking Gretchen to the woods quite a bit, and I know there are ticks around. I really hate giving her Frontline and wondered what opinions were on garlic pills for tick-bite prevention?

Doesn't work. Use your Frontline or a Preventic collar.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Mosquitoes would swarm around Ali when we walked him. About a year ago We started giving him a garlic oil capsule every morning. Didn't seem to repel any mosquitoes, and I doubt if it would have any effect on ticks. An article I read recently on mosquito repellants said garlic oil is useless, and Skin So Soft only last a few minutes, until the citronella oil in it evaporates. We keep him on frontline, and when the mosquitoes are especially bad, I wipe an Off towelette on his back and belly.

I've never seen them work for ticks or fleas.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Agreed, they do not work unfortunately.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Swifthounds

I was under the impression that garlic, like onions are not safe for dogs.

In ridiculously high doses it can cause issues. It was discussed fairly recently in another thread.

Guest Greyhoundartist

Hi-

Most studies have shown that the garlic does not not work.

(sometimes it will cause the fleas and ticks to hold their noses though :lol ).

Also, depending on the dose, it can cause stomach upset.

I hope this helps-K

Edited by Greyhoundartist

Guest KennelMom

I wouldn't waste my time. I like to be as chemical free and "green" as possible (I also drive a Prius, compost and have our own backyard chickens...yeah, we're those people...pass the granola :rolleyes: ), but when it comes to controlling or killing fleas and ticks, pass the chemicals please. That's really the only thing that seems to work. We use it 'as needed' to minimize exposure.