Parvo

Guest billschoe

Guest billschoe

Have just read an article about Parvo in the newspaper. Are Greyhounds susceptible to Parvo and should they be inoculated against it? My greyhound is 5 1/2 years old.

All dogs are susceptible to Parvo and should be inoculated for it.

Yes!

It's very contagious also! Don't need dog to dog contact for it, if you get in contact with a dog with that disease, you can spread it to other dogs in other places.

Edited by galgomum

If you've been to the vet regularly, your grey is probably vaccinated. I think most vets do it automatically. I know there are some vaccines my vet discusses with me about whether I want them for my dog or not (things like lymes). And there are others that the vet lists off as he prepares them. I know parvo is in the one he lists off, but I can't think of whether it has a different name because it's a mix of meds.

Guest Swifthounds

If you get the "distemper" combo vaccine, parvovirus is included. Absent specific concerns, not more often than every three years is the current recommendation.

Have just read an article about Parvo in the newspaper. Are Greyhounds susceptible to Parvo and should they be inoculated against it? My greyhound is 5 1/2 years old.

On your vet's paperwork, the shot probably is listed as DHPP or DHLPP:

D (distemper), H (canine infectious hepatitis), [L (leptospirosis)], P (parvo), P (parainfluenza).

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

If you get the "distemper" combo vaccine, parvovirus is included. Absent specific concerns, not more often than every three years is the current recommendation.

Thanks, I knew it was combined with something, but it just wasn't coming to me.

Has your dog had any vaccinations?

If you have taken him/her in for shots they should have received it in their combo shot (mentioned above as DHPP or DHLPP).

As far as risk, I've been told more than a few times by vets that an adult dog that has been vaccinated has very little chance of contacting parvo. Don't know if that is the gospel.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest wmlcml6

When your greyhound was a puppy he should have been vaccinated against Parvo. Hopefully at this stage of the game, you have nothing to worry about. :-)

Just an FYI - when my greyhound pups were sick last November with bacterial pneumonia, my e-vet told me that the human drug Tamiflu is proving very successful as a treatment for Parvo. It's an awful disease, and one you never want to experience first hand, but if you do, please ask your vet about this treatment.

vaccinate for parvo. my saluki survived, it was a miracle. but those were the days pre-vaccine and it was considered a "new virus"(1970s). also lepto is going around, big time. i haven't witnessed a stong reaction to the lepto vaccine w/ any of my dogs and know someone who recently lost a dog to it.i live right outside nyc.

Like others have said, it's usually a combo vaccine given every 3 years. Sebau will be due this fall. I did end up vaccinating her last time (3 years ago) but I want to talk to the vet because she's 17 now, and perhaps to a titer instead.

In vino veritas
Rachael with Rook, missing Sully, Sebau, and Diesel