Gracy Is In Trouble

Guest roselle

I'm so sorry to hear about Gracy's cancer. :( I saw in the Osteo thread that you were starting her back on Metacam even though she was taken off of it due to kidney problems. I would really recommend reconsidering this as there may be better options that are less risky to her kidneys.

I often use pred for advanced cancer patients, in combination with pain meds like tramadol and gabapentin (which it looks like Gracy's already on). Once you start Metacam, you may need to wait before you can use pred. Especially since you said in the OP that she stopped eating, pred will hopefully have the additional benefit of stimulating her appetite. And Metacam (or any NSAID) in a dog who is not eating is not a good idea.

Have you talked to Gracy's oncologist yet about what your options are? Ask about the new cancer medication Palladia. While it's pricey, if you and Gracy are up to trying to fight this a bit longer, it may be worth considering. Palladia is only labeled for mast cell tumors, but it has been shown to be effective for a number of different cancers. Some oncologists are having some luck using it for metastatic osteo, although it's still probably a less than 50% that will respond to it. Palladia has a lot fewer side effects than traditional chemo, and most dogs handle it quite well. My mixed breed Corey has been on Palladia for the past year for intestinal cancer with no side effects other than occasional, brief bouts of diarrhea.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Hugs & prayers for you & Gracie. I hope you cram all the love you can into the time you have together.

I'm feeling your pain....my eyes are leaking.

:nod:grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Roselle,

I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you and Gracy. I do believe to be honest, your options are limited. Jennifer mentions Palladia and that is what we have Charlie on and Jane has Joejoe on. It is very expensive but it has shown some results to prevent/reduce mets. There are no guarantees as you know with this disease.

Please give Gracy a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest roselle

I'm so sorry to hear about Gracy's cancer. :( I saw in the Osteo thread that you were starting her back on Metacam even though she was taken off of it due to kidney problems. I would really recommend reconsidering this as there may be better options that are less risky to her kidneys.

I often use pred for advanced cancer patients, in combination with pain meds like tramadol and gabapentin (which it looks like Gracy's already on). Once you start Metacam, you may need to wait before you can use pred. Especially since you said in the OP that she stopped eating, pred will hopefully have the additional benefit of stimulating her appetite. And Metacam (or any NSAID) in a dog who is not eating is not a good idea.

Have you talked to Gracy's oncologist yet about what your options are? Ask about the new cancer medication Palladia. While it's pricey, if you and Gracy are up to trying to fight this a bit longer, it may be worth considering. Palladia is only labeled for mast cell tumors, but it has been shown to be effective for a number of different cancers. Some oncologists are having some luck using it for metastatic osteo, although it's still probably a less than 50% that will respond to it. Palladia has a lot fewer side effects than traditional chemo, and most dogs handle it quite well. My mixed breed Corey has been on Palladia for the past year for intestinal cancer with no side effects other than occasional, brief bouts of diarrhea.

Guest roselle

Thank you very much for this enlightening note. I think it's to late for palladia. She had a clear screening chest x-ray 3 months ago. I took her to be examined because of all of the sudden changes. Two weeks ago she stopped taking walks, last week stopped eating and joining the family at night. By last friday she started crying and wanting me constantly next to her. Her one back leg is getting very week and she is sleeping most of the day and night. The cough started more gradually a month ago I thought she had a little cough, 2 weeks ago I was more sure she had a cough and scheduled a chest x-ray but the pain came on so fast this week. Her breathing sounds labored to me. I upped her tramadol to 2xd and gaba to 2xd, today she will need 3xd doses, she's already had 2. Gaba is 100mg. What dose of prednisone? She weighs 57lb. She has just lost 4 pounds. How do I use the pred.? I appreciate your help, you sound like you've been through this a few times.

Thank you, Roselle and Grace :kiss2

Guest roselle

I messed up jjng please see note posted today at 10:48 by me it was ment for you.

Sorry, Roselle and Grace

Roselle, might ask your vet about appropriate dose of pred to help with pain and appetite. We used it for my angel Batman but just a very low dose to stimulate appetite. Keeping you and your girl in my thoughts.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Roselle, please talk to your vet and/or oncologist about medication dosages and treatment options. I'm a vet, but I don't know all the details of Gracy's case and history, so your personal vets would be the best resources for what to do in her specific case. I'd suggest using forums like this as a source of information to take to your vet, but rely on your own vet for specific instructions.

With pred for cancer patients, I usually try to find a dose where side effects are manageable, but enough that you see some benefit of it making the dog feel and eat better. Ask your vet for a starting dose, and make sure to tell your vet if you've given any Metacam in the past few days. Gabapentin has a pretty wide dose range, and you may be able to increase her dose on that too if you feel she needs better pain control. I had my 57 lb girl on it for acute pain (suspected Bartonella infection, and she got so painful in her shoulder that she had trouble getting up on her own), and I was giving her 300 mg 3x/day. But again, please check with your vet to make sure it is ok for Gracy before increasing any doses on your own.

Even though it sounds like Gracy's cancer is more advanced, it wouldn't hurt to ask your oncologist about Palladia. On the vet forums, oncologists have started Palladia after mets have been found on chest x-rays, and in some cases it has slowed down the progression or even temporarily reduced the size of the mets. However, I believe most of these cases were dogs that were still doing ok, and the lung tumors were found on routine screening x-rays. Since Gracy is sick, I would suspect the chances of it helping are lower. Sending good thoughts for you and Gracy that you'll have some more quality time together. :hope

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg